PDA

View Full Version : Found out a thing or two about SH4 your should read.

Bothersome
04-19-10, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure if this should be in the tech support area or not. I'd say not because guys like me don't read that forum much cause we think got all figured out already. So why read tech support?

I've been having intermediate problems with SH4 (no other game just SH4) with mods like RFB 2.0 and now TMO 1.9. I kept blaming the mods for a problem that was not in the mods.

My symptoms were my video in full screen 1920 x 1080 were going into some kind of flickery mode. No way to get it to stop once it starts and you can't even get the video back to normal even exiting the game with Alt-F4. Windows would still be screwed up. Only way to fix is to reboot windows.

Well, I've been having problems with my video card in that it now has a few pixels that will not go black. Windows or Linux does the same. In fact some of these pixels are on even before the computer is loading an OS. Normally, one would think these are in the monitor (flat screen). But it isn't the monitor. Process of elimination determines that these pixels are being sent from the computer.

Well, I'm thinking the memory chips on the video card must be getting hot or flaky. Doesn't seem to interfere with anything so I'll continue on until I can't.

Well, I'm thinking now that this flickering problem is a mode setting bit that is not remembering because of this flaky memory.

But, I notice, it never does it with other games or in windows that. So I decided to run SH4 in a window at 1600 x 900.

You just would not believe the performance improvement I'm getting now. I was getting about 15 frames per second in full screen mode. Now, I'm getting 60 frames even in high rain and tall waves while looking at the sub (F12 - TMO). I check my task manager to see how much processor load is on, it shows 55% used.

By the way, I did upgrade my NVidia driver to try and fix the probem. But the flicker came back. So far, I have not seen any problems in window mode yet. But I am very impressed with the performance improvement.

Just something you guys might want to experiment with.

Oh yeah, and I can type this message into this forum now with SH4-TMO running behind this window. So now I can play and get something done!!!

RodBorza
04-19-10, 09:59 PM
Hey man,

Having problems with low FPS here also.
Thanks for the tip, will try that!

commandosolo2009
04-19-10, 10:29 PM
Nah, havent had problems with SHIV.. But thanks for the intel.

Just a thought- why dont you reinstall a fresh copy of windows, in other words reset the pc..

Reinstall SP3 for XP of SP1 for Vista/ Nvidia stock driver/ dotNet framework/ and it should run even better.

Give it a shot..