PDA

View Full Version : How does works the replay feature

Excelsior82
04-19-10, 05:38 PM
Hi.

Now I'm more experienced, I turned off external view in missions (cause I always been tempted to look how things where going on surface when I'm submerged) and I saved the replay of my entire mission.

Now I load the replay, but, aside from moving a free camera, I just can't do anything like the external view in mission (ig: select next unit).

It's kinda annoying cause when my sub is submerged, I lose it from sight and seldom can't find it anymore (I always can click in a longer time on the timebar, but then I miss the encounter).

Does someone knows if there are commands pre-defined to do something with that replay or which lines I should change in the commands.cfg ?

Or is the replay just a plain crap ?

PS : I'm playing the Stock game 1.4

commandosolo2009
04-19-10, 06:52 PM
Hi.

Now I'm more experienced, I turned off external view in missions (cause I always been tempted to look how things where going on surface when I'm submerged) and I saved the replay of my entire mission.

Now I load the replay, but, aside from moving a free camera, I just can't do anything like the external view in mission (ig: select next unit).

It's kinda annoying cause when my sub is submerged, I lose it from sight and seldom can't find it anymore (I always can click in a longer time on the timebar, but then I miss the encounter).

Does someone knows if there are commands pre-defined to do something with that replay or which lines I should change in the commands.cfg ?

Or is the replay just a plain crap ?

PS : I'm playing the Stock game 1.4

try pressing the assigned hotkey for external camera

(F12 or 11??) during playback. If no luck, then dont use it.

besides, replay file is HUGE and eats up your disc space.

If you wanna record, use fraps. It's VERY compatible with SH4 and if you see my vids, they are frapped..

hope this helps

:salute:

Excelsior82
04-20-10, 02:17 AM
Well, thanks for your answer but I think you misread my first message, surely I wasn't very clear.

The fact is that I can't find anyway to control efficiently the camera in replays so that I can look how things went after a mission, see why some torpedoes missed and watch these explosions I missed because 4 DD where on my arse.

You see ? I don't wanna shoot a video, but just catch-up with what happened from an external point (I can't do that while playing).

However, I don't see how I can do that if I can't press a button to instantly have the camera back to my sub or changing camera target easily.
That's why I asked you guys, maybe some commands aren't assigned and I could change that or I dunno.

Excelsior82
04-20-10, 05:26 PM
After some :damn::damn: I've finally edited the gameplaysettings.cfg in my savegame to grant external view, and now I can hit F11 to get the camera back of my submarine, and CTRL+click locks the cam on the ship.

That's the kind of things that make me want to crush my head against the wall... I blame you, Ubisoft, for that kind of glitches.

jerm138
04-21-10, 02:45 AM
Are the replays saved as video files, or data files that recreate what happened in-game?

Microsoft Flight Simulator had an awesome replay feature that recreated it in-game. The result was VERY small replay files (in the order of kb's). Then you could playback the replay and use FRAPS to video your replays from different angles like external view.

Excelsior82
04-21-10, 03:19 AM
Are the replays saved as video files, or data files that recreate what happened in-game?
It's the second one.

But replay is a bit hugier than MSFS. My 45 days patrol fills up approximatively 200 MB.

By pressing Shift+F11, a message shows up asking if you wanna "Save a sequence" but i don't know what it does cause my pc comes laggy as hell. You'd better use FRAPS to shoot a video from 'em (although I think I remember the free version of FRAPS don't allow more than 30s shoots).

jerm138
04-21-10, 03:44 AM
It's the second one.

Awesome! I haven't messed with this feature but I'll definitely check it out.

But replay is a bit hugier than MSFS. My 45 days patrol fills up approximatively 200 MBWell... my MSFS replays were typically no longer than a few minutes. Maybe a little longer if I wanted to record an entire approach. 45 days is a LOT of info, so I wouldn't be surprised at that. I'm thinking more along the lines of starting the recording before battle, not recording the entire patrol. That way, you'd only be recording hours instead of days... it would make for a much more reasonable file size. Although 200MB really isn't that unruly.

Excelsior82
04-21-10, 04:55 AM
You can't do what you want with the replay, it's a thing Ubisoft added like you would put junk in you trash.

You must know the replay is intimely bound to your savegame.
In order to save a replay, you have to tick the "Save replay" check while saving your game.

Worst : You should do it for the entire patrol or won't be able to save replay if you load a game without replay saved. (so, stick with your 45 days replay info including 20 days of traveling east with nothing happens and 20 days of the same but westward :88) )

Also, controls in replays are barely existing :
You can hit F11 to get the free camera back to your sub (like ingame F11)
You can move and rotate the free camera on the three dimensions.
You can shift+click a ship/sub to have the view locked on it.
PERIOD.

And like I said previously in thread, you have to change gameplaysettings.cfg in the savegame to enable external camera, or you won't be able to press F11 and follow units.

I have suddenly an old thought about GTA4 replay editor, that was some serious sh*t. What Ubisoft gave us with SH4 is just what a poo would do if it was able to poop. :down::down::down:

jerm138
04-21-10, 05:21 AM
But you can make multiple gamesaves on one patrol. I do this all the time in case one gets corrupted. For instance, let's say I'm playing on a gamesave called Test_1, and I do not have "save replay" checked. 5 days into it, I pick up a convoy on sonar. Then I create another gamesave called Test_2 and check the "save replay" box. Then I duke it out with the convoy for a couple hours. When it's over, I save my game as Test_1 again and uncheck the "save replay" box.

Now the Test_2 gamesave only covers a period of a couple hours and has the replay attached to it, but the rest of the patrol doesn't.

I don't know if this would work, but it seems logical to me. I'll try it out when I get a chance.

Excelsior82
04-21-10, 05:38 AM
I was sure you have to load a game with a replay saved in order to be able to save the replay, but maybe I'm wrong (and couldn't check that in the next few hours).

tomoose
04-21-10, 06:44 AM
I haven't messed around too much with the Replay feature but one thing I can attest to;
When trying to use FRAPS to record during a mission the framerate dropped horrendously (my system is starting to show it's age:cry:). However, when using the Replay function it was a lot smoother although a wee bit jerky when the action heats up.

The Replay feature is finicky too in that you have to be careful where you start it and as mentioned the files are HUGE!! LOL.

commandosolo2009
04-21-10, 07:10 AM
It's the second one.

But replay is a bit hugier than MSFS. My 45 days patrol fills up approximatively 200 MB.

By pressing Shift+F11, a message shows up asking if you wanna "Save a sequence" but i don't know what it does cause my pc comes laggy as hell. You'd better use FRAPS to shoot a video from 'em (although I think I remember the free version of FRAPS don't allow more than 30s shoots).

You can use this overnight (when you go to sleep) or at school.

It's true it's gonna be laggy, but when you go home, it'll be back to normal..

dezertflyr
04-21-10, 07:46 PM
It's the second one.

I believe this commands continuous screen captures. Check your SH4 folder for pics :03:

Gibus
04-22-10, 02:41 AM
... see why some torpedoes missed and watch these explosions I missed because 4 DD where on my arse.

You see ? I don't wanna shoot a video, but just catch-up with what happened from an external point (I can't do that while playing).

If all you need, you can view the path of your torpedoes on the tactical map.
On SH4 stock, I can not remember the shortcut key, but on TMO it is F6.

If my English is too bad, I repeat in French.:DL

Admiral8Q
04-22-10, 03:27 AM
If my English is too bad, I repeat in French.:DL

I dare you! :|\\

Gibus
04-22-10, 05:35 AM
I dare you! :|\\
Je crois comprendre que j'ai le feu vert, alors je me lance. :salute:

Je disais à Excelsior que si le seul besoin est de comprendre pourquoi ses quatre torpilles ont léché le cul du destroyer, il peut aller sur la carte tactique qui simule la trajectoire des cibles et des armes.
Je ne me souviens plus quel raccourci clavier il faut utiliser sur SH4 1.4, mais sur TMO il s'agit de la touche F6.

Cela dit, je lui conseille vigoureusement d'installer Rel_Trigger_Maru 1.7.6 ou mieux encore SH4 Add-On U-Boat Missions et TMO. Il verra autre chose de grand.

Voilà. :)

Admiral8Q
04-22-10, 05:51 AM
Nice!

It's probably because you were using those damn Mark 14's. go with the 10's!

I hate, but can use manual torpille setup, but that's why I figure I have a crew. Moi, le Capitaine, j'ai besoin d'une bonne tasse chaude de café tandis que mon servez d'équipier fait la substance de maths sur le TDC. :O:

Évitez les destroyers. Je suis dans le Narwhal, ainsi je plutôt pistolet avec les 6" deck guns, il dehors puis obtiendrais la depth charge. :o

Mais il est tôt dans la guerre, avant beaucoup de destroyers. :03:

Excelsior82
04-22-10, 07:01 AM
Je crois comprendre que j'ai le feu vert, alors je me lance. :salute:

Je disais à Excelsior que si le seul besoin est de comprendre pourquoi ses quatre torpilles ont léché le cul du destroyer, il peut aller sur la carte tactique qui simule la trajectoire des cibles et des armes.
Je ne me souviens plus quel raccourci clavier il faut utiliser sur SH4 1.4, mais sur TMO il s'agit de la touche F6.

Cela dit, je lui conseille vigoureusement d'installer Rel_Trigger_Maru 1.7.6 ou mieux encore SH4 Add-On U-Boat Missions et TMO. Il verra autre chose de grand.

Voilà. :)
Yah, I know that, but I had a much better look with the replay and saw that one of my torpedo missed cause that freighter put his engines to ahead flank.

About TMO, I tried it, but the framerate dropped a bit and I encountered some problems (crew spotted a DD when it was at 500 yards distance, my sub finished as a wreck in shallow waters) and decided to stop that experience.

Nice!

It's probably because you were using those damn Mark 14's. go with the 10's!

I hate, but can use manual torpille setup, but that's why I figure I have a crew. Moi, le Capitaine, j'ai besoin d'une bonne tasse chaude de café tandis que mon servez d'équipier fait la substance de maths sur le TDC. :O:

Évitez les destroyers. Je suis dans le Narwhal, ainsi je plutôt pistolet avec les 6" deck guns, il dehors puis obtiendrais la depth charge. :o

Mais il est tôt dans la guerre, avant beaucoup de destroyers. :03:
Awfullest google traduction ever :rotfl2: !
:yeah:

PS : I didn't shot at a destroyer, I shot at two freighters with 4 destroyers coming at me, 3 out of 4 torpedoes hit whilst ping were coming at a frickin' frequency.

Fun fact : One of these detroyers launched his DC when he was just over me, slightly under PD, and I didn't got any damage, he even shot at me with his cannons, damaging a bit the flak and deck gun.

Admiral8Q
04-22-10, 07:29 AM
Awfullest google traduction ever :rotfl2: !
:yeah:

It's translation, not traduction... :O:

Mon Français est rouillé, mais meilleur uh, I understand meilleur que je parle. Sorry!

Merci pour exciser mon français! Aye!

Fun fact : One of these detroyers launched his DC when he was just over me, slightly under PD, and I didn't got any damage, he even shot at me with his cannons, damaging a bit the flak and deck gun.

I had to run at flank to deep water after my last harbour raid. The planes came and swooped, and bombed, but I hugged the bottom as it got deeper. :cool:

Excelsior82
04-22-10, 07:40 AM
It's translation, not traduction... :O:
[...]
Merci pour exciser mon français! Aye!

In the meantime, I shall apologize for my bad english :03:

Admiral8Q
04-22-10, 07:44 AM
In the meantime, I shall apologize for my bad english :03:
It is better than us, lol! :doh:

Vo anglais est meilleur que mon Français! Heh heh!