PDA

View Full Version : Excruciating slow time acceleration

Coopz
04-16-10, 01:26 AM
Just returning to Pearl after a superb mission in which I sank a few cargo ships, a Fleet Carrier, 2 heavy Cruisers and the Yamato!
Now When I go into time acceleration it bogs the game to a crawl. At 5000x speed its slower than x64 speed. The 5000+k trek back to base is going to take..well hours and hours of boredom (no torps left and travelling well away from the shipping lanes). Everything takes ages to do, issue a command, 5 minutes later it happens, attempt to go to the deck.. takes ages... normal time the sim runs fine, just fast time breaks it.
I have a intel quad core cpu running at 3.6ghz and 6gig of DDr2 ram, surely it's a software issue. On a normal return to base mission after a few ships sunk this never happens, just seems to happen on really good missions.

Anyway of addressing it?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but the search function isn't much help.

KlassenT
04-16-10, 04:18 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know of any fixes, but it's a confirmed issue that I've had when running multi-refit patrols. The game seems to save quite a bit of information as time goes on, but it doesn't dump out nearly as much, if any at all, of the old data as the new data comes in. As the campaign tries to keep track of more and more enemy ships, events, and the like, it just gets to be way too many calculations for the CPU to handle, even with high-clock multicore processors. Sad truth is that the game engine just plain isn't equipped to handle the immense number-crunching required for high time compression with that many contacts to monitor.

As a side note, it does make sense that aggressively high TC settings will appear to run slower than moderate ones; you're asking the processor to execute 5000 commands per tick instead of 64 commands per tick, which certainly doesn't help matters any when it comes to an already bogged-down data stream. ;)

Sorry that I can't help you for this particular patrol, but in future patrols, try and hold them to a somewhat moderate length. If you're based in Pearl, factoring in travel time probably means you can only afford one refit, two at best, before you should start thinking about drydock. I've been able to get away with three or (very rarely) four refits when I'm with my Asiatic flotilla, but even then I can notice it starting to chug along a bit. Ultimately, also bear in mind that "refits" isn't really the best measurement of time to gauge a patrol, since it can vary pretty widely; but, having said that, it's still the rule-of-thumb I usually abide by to help keep the pipes clean when I'm heading home. Perhaps someone else can give you a more solid estimate, but I think individual results will still vary when it comes to how long a patrol you can get away with, based on hardware capabilities and the amount of random data the engine throws at you unless you're running one of the static campaigns like RSRD.

The bad news? I figure you can either cut your losses, load an earlier save, and make for home base at a fairly good clip, or you can just stick it out and putt-putt your way back home. At any rate, hope this at least helps ya a bit even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear. :D

tomoose
04-16-10, 09:17 AM
I have no probs using TC at 5160 unless there's something within range at which point there may be a bit of stuttering but then it will smooth out again. I've never used it beyond the 5000 settings and it only takes about 20 mins max to get from Japan to Pearl (assuming I don't have aircraft contacts etc) and I certainly do NOT have a top o' the line rig.
I've never experienced the long pauses between command and execute that you describe but I rarely issue commands during actual TC.

As said I do see some stuttering/pausing when I'm in the vicinity of other ships during TC but nothing to the extent you describe. Are you sure you don't have something running in the background?

les green01
04-17-10, 04:01 PM
i have also had this problems what i have notice is alot of times it was faster on the lower tc settings than the higher ones so ran it around 256 or the 500 one.

Armistead
04-17-10, 07:27 PM
Any service coming on in the background, virus scan, window updates, ect..

Numerous refits or sometimes long patrols where a lot has gone on. Usually doing a save and reload will help clear it out.

Alt/Tabbing out a lot..