PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes luck can over come stupidity.

Platapus
02-24-10, 07:34 PM
There I was, no Shi... uh this a true story.

8 Oct, 42 patrolling “somewhere off the Japanese coast”

Watch spots a ship. Probably another one of those damn sampans, that’s all I seem to find this patrol.

Run the plot for three minutes and find that the target has traveled 12,500 yards. Hmm not a sampan. I probably found a convoy of sampans and miss-plotted. Run another plot, same speed 12 knots Course NE. This might be interesting. Rough seas. I can only manage about 15-16 kts so it will be a long dog leg overtake.

I get into position well in front of the target, plenty of time for a nice fast 90 set up. So much time, I think I will set up for the stern tubes.

I align everything up perfectly, AoB, distance. Perfect set up. All I have to do is wait for Christmas.

It is getting a bit late so I decide to use TC, just a little mind you. I order the sonar man to follow this ship. He has a good signal. I can just wait until the bearing is 210.

Bearing is 210 so I up periscope already at the 190 mark. With the speed being a shade higher than 10 Kts, I plan on launching the first torpedo a little ahead of the target.

OMG! All I see is the butt of the ship passing the firing bearing. How can I be so stupid? :damn::damn::damn: I did it again, I ruined a perfect set up because of my impatience. :damn::damn::damn: I fire three sterns in a pathetic hope that one will hit. All three miss.

I ID the ship trying for another set up. ID it as a Large Old European Passenger Carrier 9,000 tons! But I can’t get all the data before it moves to a poor firing angle.

I do notice that there are no deck guns on the ship so I try for a surface attack.

I surface but can’t seem to get into a firing position due to the rough seas cutting down my speed (but evidently not having much effect on his speed.

I decide to use the deck gun. A 3” gun against a 9,000 ship. This might take a while. :doh:

I pump in about 50 or so rounds at the water line with no effect. I try a surface torpedo attack. Things are just happening too fast and I miss with the first three torpedoes. I try to set up again but miss with the second three torpedoes. Time for a long reload.

The ship turns into me and before it I know it, it looks like it is going to ram me!

I put the ship at 180 and haul As... uh .. order flank speed. I am only going about 15 knots and I think the ship is doing 15 too! I wish I could have taken a screenshot of nothing but this huge bow about 6 inches from my stern!

From a range of zero I pump in about a 100 rounds directly into the bow (nothing else to aim at) at the water line. No effect. I really can’t believe that a three inch shell would have NO effect on a 9K boat.

This is getting me nowhere, so I peal off and try to regroup for yet another surface attack. Now the ship is all over the place. Right and left turns. Impossible to track.

I abort the failed attack. I am almost out of shells and I have used 9 torpedoes and still have not sunk a ship. Oh well, it was a nice naval career while it lasted. I am sure there is a weather station in Antarctica just calling me.

I proceed until I lose contact with the ship and then slow down to 9 knots and resume what is clearly going to be my last patrol.

A few hours later, my watch calls out ship spotted. Plot shows 12 knots heading NE.

Hmmmmm

This time no TC at all. I am already ahead in a perfect Fast 90 position. All stop, periscope depth.

Sure as Shi.... uh Well golly, what do my wandering eyes appear but a Large Old European Passenger carrier!

Runs right into a nice four torpedo spread where, imagine this, three detonate. After a long wait, 9,192 tons is added to my patrol.

After all that pooch screwin, I end up sitting in the perfect position by dumb luck. :know:

Sometimes luck can compensate for a poor Captain. :yep:

magic452
02-24-10, 08:15 PM
Great post there Platapus :salute: :rotfl2:

Patience is a virtue, practice if you can.
Seldom in a woman, never in a man.

Magic

sergei
02-25-10, 11:35 AM
Good post Platapus.
Most of the time when I screw up an attack it's due to my own impatience.:oops:

TH0R
02-25-10, 01:06 PM
Lol great post. :)
I to am a bit concerned how ineffective 3" gun is. Even if you aim at the water line some times it doesn't do the job. Any tips on using it or is it supposed to be like that?

jerm138
02-25-10, 04:48 PM
The opening of your story sounded exactly like what happened to me last night...

Transiting through the Java Sea, I picked up a weak sonar contact. Brought the boat to a dead stop and figured out his approximate course and range using sonar. Turned out that he was headed to the same choke point as me and I was in excellent position to intercept.

Normally, I don't use any time compression once I get visual contact, but it was late and my wife was giving me the "I'm going to bed" thing (translation: it's late, get off the computer :stare:). So I go ahead and use TC, resulting in a sloppy intercept. I only had 2 fish forward (and plenty aft) but figured that setting up for a stern shot would be pushing it in my hurried state. My most recent speed calculation was waaaay back and not that accurate, but I didn't have 3 minutes to take another one, so I just stuck with what I had: 14 kts

I fired a stern - bow spread from 1000 yards at an 8,000 ton cargo ship thinking that there's no way I'd miss since he nearly filled my entire periscope view. The first fish just barely caught his bow, so I wasn't surprised when the 2nd one missed forward.

I tried to swing around for a stern shot, but here's where my hurried state really screwed me up: For whatever unknown reason, I had convinced myself that 100 degrees (instead of 180) was directly aft. :o

I got into the correct incorrect position and entered the data into the TDC and looked at the PK, expecting a nearly 0 gyro angle, but it looked all screwed up (duh :doh:... he was nearly parallel to me). I only fired one fish because I wanted to see what was going on. Obviously, I missed by several hundred yards as it tried to run up his a.. ft end. I was wondering if my TDC had malfunctioned.

Seeing that there weren't any deck guns and knowing that he was already a little crippled and heavy on the bow, I surfaced to finish him with the 3" gun. As soon as I surfaced and saw my relative position I realized my 100 - 180 mixup and laughed at myself for being so dumb.

Fortunately, it only took about 10 shells to finish the job, and I added another flag to my sail. :arrgh!: Then I rushed off to bed, amazed that nearly an hour had passed since I had been summoned by the Captain :o... whoops.

It's amazing how this game drags you in like that... I think that's why it's so addicting.

Platapus
02-25-10, 06:24 PM
but it was late and my wife was giving me the "I'm going to bed" thing (translation: it's late, get off the computer :stare:).
Yeah, I had the Chief of the House on me that night also.