PDA

View Full Version : SHIII

Matt86
02-24-10, 05:49 AM
Not entirely sure if this is the best place to post this question, but I would like the opinions of my fellow SHIV players.

I have the opportunity to get SHIII for cheap but is it worth it? I wont be able to download many mods (data cap of 512mb a month) and GWX3 is over a gig I see... Would/should that be a deal breaker?
How does it compare to SHIV 1.4, will the older game frustrate in any ways?

Thank you for any help!

joegrundman
02-24-10, 06:23 AM
well, i always liked both games, so maybe i'm biased. But definitely get SH3 and find a way to get GWX

It's still being modded, even now, and some very good new mods there are too - look in the mods section. Look for Han Solo's Das Boot U-boat pens for example

sharkbit
02-24-10, 07:55 AM
I'm pretty new to SH4 but I've played SH3 for a couple of years now. So far, I like SH4. It has its issues but the mods are fantastic.
I don't think you could go wrong with SH3 with mods. SH3 is very good. Find a way to get GWX or one of the other super mods.

Find jimbuna in the SH3 section. I bet if you talk nice to him, he may be able to set you up with a disc with the GWX files. Look at the sizes of the other super mods, they might work better for you, download wise.

:)

irish1958
02-24-10, 09:00 AM
sharkbit
Where are you located?

Jan Kyster
02-24-10, 10:37 AM
Matt - pm me, and I'll ship you a couple of DVD's with all downloads for SHIII/SHIV :salute:

You should get both SH III and SH IV. Worth every cent!

Sailor Steve
02-24-10, 10:45 AM
Well, I was going to post that download limitations are not a problem, because plenty of people here will be glad to send discs with supermods on them; but it looks like it's already happened.

Way to go, guys!:rock:

SteamWake
02-24-10, 11:38 AM
Shame he will have to pass on SH5 though :oops:

(Someone had to say it !) :yep:

Matt86
02-24-10, 11:43 AM
Well, I was going to post that download limitations are not a problem, because plenty of people here will be glad to send discs with supermods on them; but it looks like it's already happened.

Way to go, guys!:rock:

So I see, pretty incredible way for a forum to treat a newcomer! :salute::salute::salute:
Thank you all for your opinions and advice.

AVGWarhawk
02-24-10, 11:45 AM

He will have his hands full with SH3/4! Yes, a disc of the downloads would be a great idea!

Matt86
02-24-10, 12:16 PM

Probably (for several years at least), but thats similar for most niche type games. I was extremely lucky to find SHIV for sale, but its impossible to get the add-on except via download - It simple doesn't and hasn't made it to the shelves. And shops that stock PC games are also dwindling, its all overpriced PS2/3 Xbox stuff and FPS's. The order-online stores are a little better - but their stocks also are very mainstream focused.

9th_cow
02-24-10, 03:34 PM
SHIII is great, the reason I no longer play it is down to stability (cant load saved games, random ctd's)

However if you use the operation monsun mod for SHIV I think Shiv edges it.

irish1958
02-24-10, 06:46 PM
SHIII is great, the reason I no longer play it is down to stability (cant load saved games, random ctd's)

However if you use the operation monsun mod for SHIV I think Shiv edges it.
Except in testing, I have never had a CTD or had a saved game not load.

RodBorza
02-24-10, 09:42 PM
@AVG Warhawk

"I pre-orded Silent Hunter 5 and damn proud of it! :O: " :rotfl2:

Sometimes all it takes are some brave pioneers..

R-T-B
02-24-10, 10:29 PM

I had quite a few. Half the reason I switched to Silent Hunter IV: Operation Monsun.

irish1958
02-25-10, 09:19 AM
I had quite a few. Half the reason I switched to Silent Hunter IV: Operation Monsun.
CTD occurs, almost always, when a mod overwrites a critical file. As an example, a mod calls for a certain ship in a convoy, but another mod has removed it from the roster=CTD; menu1064 calls for a certain string but a mod has removed it ("menu ID not found").
If one follows the rules for saved games, and doesn't screw around with the files of the game during a patrol, CTD or saved game failure shouldn't (and doesn't) occur.
Finally, one cannot plan for the stray neutrino hitting one of the game's protons and screwing up the whole mess.

sharkbit
02-25-10, 09:27 AM
sharkbit
Where are you located?

I'm in Littleton, Colorado-a subburb of Denver.

:)

9th_cow
02-25-10, 12:16 PM

Neither did I till I reinstalled the game recently, no idea what is wrong with it, double checked mod installation (GWX gold) reinstalled, same thing.

Gave up, found Operation Monsun and moved back to SHIV

R-T-B
02-25-10, 10:58 PM
I only had one mod installed, and that was GWX. I suspect the issue relates to Windows 7 compatability plus the widescreen mods inherent issues with taking screenshots. Regardless, the engine does have numerous glitches like the save game ones you mentioned, and is starting to show it's age.

That doesn't mean it still isn't quite good however! I'm just liking Silent Hunter 4 more.

Matt86
03-12-10, 03:46 PM
Id just like to give a big thank you to Jan Kyster, less than 3weeks and I have three DVDs worth of mods AND a copy of the UBMs. And all he asks is a donation to Subsim when I'm able.

Thank you Jan and thank you Subsim for a great community second to none Ive seen. :rock::rock::rock: