PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 is troublesome.

IRISH4Life
02-14-10, 10:31 PM
Any suggestions? I installed Silent Hunter IV because silent hunter III wouldn't work on Windows 7. Everything seems to work ok for the most part. But you might be at the very end of a quick mission when you are finishing off the last of the ships and Windows 7 comes on and says that there is a conflict and it is shutting down or searching for a fix. GAME OVER! Also, things like Real fleet boat for 1.4 or MARU shut it down. I wouldn't dare install 1.5 because it probably wouldn't work either. I love this game but it is getting upsetting. Secondly I thought that I might try to run the game in the suggested Windows operating system. It recommended Windows XP Update3 but then I tried to use the Mod installer. ALL THE MODS WERE GONE. To use that I would need to reinstall every mod I have. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

DirtyACE
02-14-10, 11:45 PM
It's highly recommended to install SH4 in a separate directory than the default one given by the game itself, which is within Program Files. Just create a folder on your hard drive called SH4 or whatever name you want and install the game into there. Then install either the 1.4 patch or if you have the Uboat Missions pack then install that instead. Don't worry about pointing into the right folder to install, it will find your SH4 installation automatically.

I'm on Windows 7 too and this is what I did. The game works absolutely fine for me. No crashing of any kind. I'm also using mods like Operation Monsoon.

Webster
02-14-10, 11:55 PM
also, just so you know

sh4 v1.5 needs a lot less of your computer to work because it has a more efficient game engine so sh4 v1.4 is harder on your computer and will crash your system more then v1.5 might

IRISH4Life
02-15-10, 01:21 AM
OK, So I will completely uninstall the entire game and then reinstall placing the file in its own seperate folder chosen by me. Correct? I hope that works because this shuts down all the time the other way. Thanks for some hope. I'm on it.

IRISH4life

IRISH4Life
02-15-10, 01:33 AM
OK I am going to create a new file folder named Silent Hunter IV in the PROGRAM FILE X86 (where most all of my program files sit), Install the patch update for 1.4 and then the mod installer and then reload all my mods to the installer. I hope this works. I accidentally deleted the save file. I was on the 3rd mission and I sunk like 60,000 tons on the second mission. It wont happen again I am sure. But I would rather this work smoothly than hoping it doesnt shut down each time I run it.

Sorry, I will probably try to beat 1.4 ( if it works) before I move on to 1.5. Too much going on. Thanks though.

Thanks,
IRISH4life

IRISH4Life
02-15-10, 01:50 AM
Completely removed, Completely reinstalled, now Patches, Do I just go straight for the 1.4 patch or install the 1.1, then 1.2, then 1.3, then 1.4 to fnalize the install ??

NorthBeach
02-15-10, 03:32 AM
1.4 is all you need.

TH0R
02-15-10, 07:23 AM
Running Win7 x86 here and installed SH4 without any problems. Even runs better than on XP, but that might be the placebo effect.

Definitely install it somewhere else than Program Files, I installed it on a different partition (on a different HD as well) and no problems what so ever.

Galanti
02-15-10, 07:54 AM
Oddly, after nearly three years of trouble-free SH4 on XP and Vista, I am having problems in 64-bit 7, though I love the OS itself. Usually happens towards the end of a long patrol when I frequently crash when switching to either bridge view or external camera after long periods of high TC. Worse, I often CTD when ending the patrol. (By clicking 'End Patrol' from the docking options).

The bizarre workaround I've stumbled upon is after coming out of hight TC is to go periscope view, raise the scope so that the 3D scene is rendered and this seems to allow me to go on. I only figured this out last night, so I haven't had time to fully test my new hypothesis, which is that the engine needs time to synchronize or something like that after coming out of high TC. Though, I've never had this issue on older builds, and I've now got a Q9550 with 8 gigs of RAM and a GeForce 260. All driver as far as I know are up to date, except NVidia, where of course lately you're better off the older you go. I've actually been through eight video driver switches in the past two weeks.

AVGWarhawk
02-15-10, 08:55 AM
If I can get the game to run in Vista 64 without one issue Windows 7 should be a snap. :03:

Galanti
02-15-10, 09:45 AM
If I can get the game to run in Vista 64 without one issue Windows 7 should be a snap. :03:

Which is why my issue is so aggravating! I know it should work, and I consider myself pretty competent around PCs (though there are always gaps).

Event viewer shows that the faulting module is either SH4's kernel.dll or the ntdll.dll in System32, so I'm ruling out sound issues for now. Ntdll error are often related to hard drive problems, so I've diskscanned, defragged and fooled around with virtual memory, but nothing. I have no idea what could cause a problem with kernel.dll.

AVGWarhawk
02-15-10, 10:26 AM
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/kernel-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Best forum on the internet for Vista and Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/

IRISH4Life
02-15-10, 03:43 PM
How time flies. I started at around 12pm messing with it all and when my wife yelled at me at around 5am. I realized I had been lost in the world of Silent Hunter IV Modding.

OK. It's all installed and everything that didn't work now works. It's awesome.

I still installed in the Program files (X86) but before I started anything I created my own folder called "Silent Hunter IV" (original I know) then I followed the info below to uninstall and reinstall:

How to re-install SH4! by AVGWARHAWK :up:

If you are having trouble installing/reinstalling SH4 and looking to call UBI all sorts of bad names as a result, please follow the instructions below:

Anyway, here's what you do...virtually guaranteed (Well, I can't really say that... it's at your own risk, of course):

FIRST, create a System Restore Point. This is easy, accessible through Control Panel or simply by directly Running "System Restore" and the process is also described/accessed in any Windows OS Help section. Then follow the Steps below:

It is assumed that you have encountered the Installation(Re-installation) problem/weirdness subsequent to your having attempted/completed an SH4 Uninstall(Program removal) using the Control Panel option. It is even likely that the Uninstall/Removal operation, itself, caused the registry problem. In any event, if you have not already done so, copy/backup your MOD folders/sub-folders/files...and Sound\Gramaphone files/music, etc, to a new/separate location on your Drive(s). Then, go to Control Panel and Uninstall your SH4 program(s) showing there. after you have done that, follow the steps below:

1. On your C:\ drive, using Explorer/MyComputer delete manually all remaining SH4 folders and files, including the SH4 folder in your Desktop\Documents folder.
[[Needless to say, before you delete your SH4 files, backup/copy any possible remaining folders/files of your stuff like MOD folders/files...Sound\Gramaphone files/music, etc. You can then simply place those back into your SH4 once you are up and running again after a fresh install....Some people also recommend copying over (backing up) the Saved Game files from the Documents\SH4\ folder and attempt to put them back into the final Re-Installed Game...or even to skip the step entirely and leave the Documents\SH4 folder untouched; I have no experience with that, so it's your call if you want to try that.]] Personally, I also delete all JSGME folders/files at the same time.

2. Special Caution: While it is possible to follow step by step instructions in order to edit the registry, the first precaution necessary, prior to even attempting to make alterations, is to ensure that you have a current backup of the registry, either as a full backup or a backup of the respective registry hive.[Don't worry about this term] Should disaster strike and a registry edit go wrong you will, at least, have a working backup with which to replace the damaged registry.
To backup the registry proceed as follows:
1/ Click Start
2/ From the menu click Run
3/ In the Run dialog box type: regedit (Or, in other words, Run/Open "regedit.exe" which is located in your C:\windows root directory).
4/ The Windows registry Editor will now open
5/ Click the File option on the main toolbar and, from the drop down menu, select Export
6/ In the Export Registry File dialog box select All
7/ Now name the file
8/ Finally click the Save button
9/ To return the registry back to its original state should something go wrong, simply click on the File option on the main registry editor toolbar and then select Import.

3. Now, in the Registry, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall{{0D005F09-A5F4-473B-A901-5735C6AF5628} key. [This was the designation associated with SH4 version 1.4] Delete that key (looks like a file/folder).

4. You can also, in addition, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubisoft folder and delete all the Silent Hunter folder(s) there......you will have one or two or more. These don't seem to have any direct effect, but you can do without them. I'd say get rid of them. I did. [Note that it is this entry which identifies the specific designation of the associated key/file which you should delete from the previously mentioned HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall folder]

5. Exit/close Regedit.

6. Re-boot your 'Puter.

7. Install SH4 1.0 from your DVD.

I'd reboot again just for the heck of it.

8. Download and install the Patch 1.4. (This step may be skipped if you do not want to install a separate SH4 1.4 version on your hard drive. If that is the case, proceed to Step #10)

9. Reboot the PC. (If you do want a separate install of the SH4 1.4 version, copy your SH4 1.4 Folder(s) to a new location on your hard drive...before proceeding).

10. Install Patch 1.5, (UBOAT Addon), if you wish. (Patch 1.5 can be installed directly over SH4 1.0 or over 1.4)

11. Reboot the PC.

12. Download/reinstall JSGME. Do the setup, being sure to include taking the "Snapshot" of your clean install.

13. Run/Play your default install to see that it all works.

14. Copy back all your previously saved MOD folders into your new MOD folder, copy back all your previously saved music files into your "...Data\Sound\Gramaphone" folder, etc etc.

15. Enable selected MODs with JSGME.

You should be good to go!

Instuctions provided by Dolittle. He did more than do little.

THANKS To AVGWARHAWK:up:

THANKS AGAIN: I take NO CREDIT FOR ANY OF THIS IT WAS ALL AVGWARHAWK or Dolittle?

IRISH4life:D

Pisces
02-15-10, 04:12 PM
Irish, what kind of user account did you use? Was it the first that was created when Windows 7 was installed. Or was it added later, by hand?

IRISH4Life
02-15-10, 10:41 PM
I am confused? What type of user account are you talking about? I hope I am going in the correct direction with this.

I have 3 user accounts on my computer. the first is the main admin account listed as DAD. There are two others on the computer though. my son's and daughter's. They have no admin rights though.

As for creation of the file I just went to start, Clicked on COMPUTER, Over to LOCAL C: drive, then to PROGRAM FILES (x86), Right clicked on PROGRAM FILES(X86) and selected NEW FOLDER, where I wrote SILENT HUNTER IV. Then I did the rest of the stuff listed in the last post. And then when I went and installed, the folder was sitting there waiting for information. ON the install, I selected that folder as the place to install the entire game. That is also where I placed the mod enabler as well and the Radio manager. ( Which the computer says it cannot find a .ini file for) so if anyone knows how the radio manager works it looks cool but it does nothing right now.

I hope that helps people.

IRISH4life

Pisces
02-17-10, 12:50 PM
I am confused? What type of user account are you talking about? I hope I am going in the correct direction with this.

I have 3 user accounts on my computer. the first is the main admin account listed as DAD. There are two others on the computer though. my son's and daughter's. They have no admin rights though.

As for creation of the file I just went to start, Clicked on COMPUTER, Over to LOCAL C: drive, then to PROGRAM FILES (x86), Right clicked on PROGRAM FILES(X86) and selected NEW FOLDER, where I wrote SILENT HUNTER IV. Then I did the rest of the stuff listed in the last post. And then when I went and installed, the folder was sitting there waiting for information. ON the install, I selected that folder as the place to install the entire game. That is also where I placed the mod enabler as well and the Radio manager. ( Which the computer says it cannot find a .ini file for) so if anyone knows how the radio manager works it looks cool but it does nothing right now.

I hope that helps people.

IRISH4lifeAs I thought. Your procedure seemed to work 'easy' because you probably did it with that "Dad" administrator account. If someboy else would have tried to follow your steps, but only has an ordinary user account as when one of your kids would try to do it. Then it probably wouldn't have worked because of UAC and that nasty (though sensible) "Program Files" protectiveness of Vista/7. I just wanted to point out this little caveat.

I asked if it was the very first account created at Windows 7 installation, because that's the only time when a user account is created AND made into an administrator. Any account created afterwards is an ordinary user by default. Promotion to administrator needs to be done manually. I just tried to keep my questions simple and wait for your answer before I jumped to conclusions. Unfortunately that still caused some confusion.

IRISH4Life
02-17-10, 10:23 PM
Pisces,

Not a problem, not too much confusion at least no more than I normally enjoy on any given day.

Thanks for responding.

IRISH4life

mafiawarlord
02-21-10, 06:24 PM
I have my own problem. I'm running the 32 bit version of Windows 7. This is the first time playing SHIV on windows 7, i upgraded a while ago and just now played it. Yesterday SHIV wasn't working, when doing a mission the music would repeat and then the game would crash. So i uninstalled it, reinstalled it, i even changed the directory so that it didn't install in program files. Updated it to 1.4 and now after about 5 minutes of gameplay it just crashes to the desktop. Doesn't say anything, nothing out of the ordinary happens, it just crashes. Any ideas?

IRISH4Life
02-21-10, 09:31 PM
Not positive and I cannot promise anything. OK I was having the same thing happen. You probably already did this but I created my own folder in the program files named Silent Hunter IV. Then I installed the whole game by my choice in that folder. I did not let Window 7 decide where it was going to go. When I let Windows decide where it went it was completely uncooperative. It wouldnt let mods get installed and nothing would load up, not to mention it crashed on the drop of a hat for no reason.

Like I said you may have done it but it worked for me. ( I still have a crash once in a while. It will be like if I am speeding up time to race across the ocean. I just remember to stop and save as I travel that way if it happens I at least have the save point. Window 7 is nice but uncooperative.

Sorry for you trouble. Let me know what happens when you do the above if you havent already.

IRISH4life

mafiawarlord
02-21-10, 09:55 PM
When I reinstalled it I changed the install directory to another file. So I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones haha

IRISH4Life
02-21-10, 10:12 PM
Did you follow AVGWarhawks suggestions for complete uninstall? It's lower in the post and helped me.
Make sure your drivers are all updated, including windows, Sound and Video. DIRECT X too. Then follow his directions for the reinstall. I even threw in the disk clean up and disk defrag and then restarted. before i reinstalled in my seperate file.

IRISH4life