PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Officer Assistance in SH4

The_Submariner
02-13-10, 03:56 PM
Hello All! I was a big fan of SH 3 but have not played the game in years. Recently I finally picked up SH 4 with the U-Boat missions add on. I'm enjoying the game except for one big problem: Realism is now tied to career difficulty. In other words, in order for me to play the game at "Hard" difficulty level (Normal is far too easy) I have to be able to manually target enemy ships, something I simply cannot do. The manual makes reference to the fact that I can get a targeting solution from my officers, but I'm not sure exactly how this is done. Can anyone tell me how to manually target an enemy vessel by using the assistance of my officers? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S. Yes, I did try searching the forum first, but my searches just turned up errors.

AVGWarhawk
02-13-10, 04:53 PM
Unfortunate the officer assist did not come in SH4. I used it in SH3 and enjoyed it. So, with that said, at the top of the forum here is 'how to' on manual targeting. Once you sink you first vessel by this method it is a good feeling.

Diopos
02-13-10, 07:06 PM
The game manual? Through it overboard! :yep:
It is either manual or auto targeting.

razark
02-13-10, 08:11 PM
I'm enjoying the game except for one big problem: Realism is now tied to career difficulty. In other words, in order for me to play the game at "Hard" difficulty level (Normal is far too easy) I have to be able to manually target enemy ships, something I simply cannot do.

That shouldn't be. Have you tried modifying the realism options in your career? When you are in the office between patrols, click on the radio on the shelf to the left. Set your realism options there. The ones set in the main menu do not translate over to careers for some reason.

And yeah, deep six the manual. The forum here is the best manual you can find.

Manual targeting is not as hard as it sounds. It just takes a bit of practice, and understanding what you are doing and why you are doing it. It's very rewarding when you finally go out and sink ships in manual targeting.

Edit:
Forgot one thing, Welcome to subsim!

The_Submariner
02-13-10, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. While I do plan to learn how to target manually, I want to go ahead and begin a career in the meantime. I didn't realize that you could modify realism settings while in career mode. My past attempts failed but I didn't know about using the radio to make the changes. I will definitely give that a shot!

Sailor Steve
02-14-10, 07:12 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

Yes, unfortunately it's true - they took out WE assistance, one of my favorite parts as well.

Rockin Robbins
02-15-10, 11:39 AM
Ah, a refugee from SH3! (I must be a poet here) Well, we don't have WO help, but you can get some $%#$ crewmember to give you a hand. Just load up TMOkeys from my siggy. It restores an SH3-like keyboard layout that you'll appreciate, plus shift-i works the "will some damn crewmember come over here and identify that target?" function. Works great. You'll like both the better keyboard layout and the help function.:D

submarinero74
06-11-15, 07:56 PM
Ah, a refugee from SH3! (I must be a poet here) Well, we don't have WO help, but you can get some $%#$ crewmember to give you a hand. Just load up TMOkeys from my siggy. It restores an SH3-like keyboard layout that you'll appreciate, plus shift-i works the "will some damn crewmember come over here and identify that target?" function. Works great. You'll like both the better keyboard layout and the help function.:D

hey pal your TMO mod takes away the next unit view from the keyboard pft failll

Aktungbby
06-11-15, 09:19 PM
submarinero74!:Kaleun_Salute:However: (putting on my Sailor Steve hat here:o) do check post dates when responding; the one you're responding to is 5 years old and the gent in question, RockinRobbins, hasn't posted in a year...They do return to the fold quite often though!:up: And again welcome aboard.