PDA

View Full Version : New and Lost and Hungry

Ethaninja
02-06-10, 11:07 AM
Hey fellas. First off, a quick introduction. My names Ethan as you can tell. Yadi yadi yada. Nice to meet you all too.

Anywho, as a noob there are some questions I need help with if you don't mind ;)

Question No #1: During the first mission, WHAT THE HECK DO I DO?! :P I read my captains log stardate, and it told me to find a Jap ship. It was just fuzzy on where in the Pacific Ocean I should start looking. Please help =)

Question Numero 2: During a campaign mission, I get lots of radio reports. Do they mean anything? Are they side quests, or are they just for show or something?

And last but not least, 3: What would be the average time it takes for you to complete a mission? Because it took me at least 10 mins to 30 just to get from Western Aussie to Sydney. Am I doing things right? (Plotting a path, setting to Ahead Flank, and pressing Numpad + so that I can get time to speed up as fast as possible)?

Cheers for any help I may recieve, and good hunting ;)

Torplexed
02-06-10, 11:22 AM
Welcome to subsim! :sunny:

On question #1 your best bet is to hang out on the main Japanese merchant routes. Here's a simple map to show where the main ones are. Areas where traffic converge are the best like near Formosa and Luzon.

http://www.navpublishing.com/images/subtour/convoymap.png

On question 2 the radio reports often give you messages on how the war is going. They also give contact reports but sometimes those contacts are hundreds if not thousands of miles from where you are, so there not too useful.

I would also beware of using flank speed unless in an emergency. You'll find yourself out of fuel very quickly and there are no towing vessels to come to your rescue. A cruise speed of of 9 to 10 knots is best.

sergei
02-06-10, 12:01 PM
Welcome aboard Ethaninja :salute:

Good map Torplexed, thanks :up:

Sailor Steve
02-06-10, 12:12 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

Question Numero 2: During a campaign mission, I get lots of radio reports. Do they mean anything? Are they side quests, or are they just for show or something?
Depends on what they say. If they tell you to do something, you might want to think about doing it. If they say there's a task force or convoy at such-and-such location, you don't have to go there, but if it's fairly close by you'll improve your chances for tonnage by doing so. Of course you'll also improve your chances for getting killed, but hey, this is war - no pain, no gain; no guts, no glory; no onions, no pickles, no mustard...wait, what?

And last but not least, 3: What would be the average time it takes for you to complete a mission? Because it took me at least 10 mins to 30 just to get from Western Aussie to Sydney. Am I doing things right? (Plotting a path, setting to Ahead Flank, and pressing Numpad + so that I can get time to speed up as fast as possible)?
As sub sim is not an arcade game. It took them weeks to get anywhere in real life, and it can take hours to get anywhere in this game. In Op Monsun as well as SH3 there are people who complain about the time it takes to transit the Kiel Canal - in real life it was much shorter, but in the game the "When Near Land" TC constraint makes it take longer than going around Denmark! As Torplexed said, you want to set the most economic speed (I use Ahead Standard, as it's close enough to 9 knots for me) and then all the Time Compression I want.

Did you know that there are people who play the whole patrol in real time? Masochists, every one of them.
:rotfl2:

Onkel Neal
02-06-10, 12:15 PM
Welcome aboard!:salute:

Armistead
02-06-10, 03:30 PM
Everyone needs to start with the SHIV guide....Will answer most of your questions.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/4351073726/p/1

Ethaninja
02-07-10, 05:52 AM
Did you know that there are people who play the whole patrol in real time? Masochists, every one of them.
:rotfl2:

Woah really? How do they find the time?

Diopos
02-07-10, 06:16 AM
woah really? How do they find the time?

what ?????
There is a time acceleration button ?????????
Did i lose my job and got divorced for nothing !!!?????
:)

Sailor Steve
02-07-10, 06:50 PM
what ?????
There is a time acceleration button ?????????
Did i lose my job and got divorced for nothing !!!?????
:)

But the point of 1x is to not touch that button. Of course they talk a lot about letting the game run while they do other things, which to me is not actually playing at 1x, but we all have our different approaches.

theluckyone17
02-08-10, 07:34 AM
Meh. I thought they had just run into one too many problems with the time compression, so they opted to leave it off :D

Gilbou
02-08-10, 10:21 AM
Welcome

Andrew82
02-08-10, 11:21 AM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

You're at the right place here :rock:

Munchausen
02-08-10, 12:13 PM
Of course they talk a lot about letting the game run while they do other things, which to me is not actually playing at 1x, but we all have our different approaches.

:cool: Not everyone aboard a sub stood watch ... which is about all you do in the sim until either a ship or a plane is spotted (or plotted on the map). Most of the crew did "other things" ... just not the same other things. But other things, nonetheless. (Your wife might appreciate it, though, if you were to simulate "scrubbing the deck" by mopping the floor and vacuuming the carpet.)

Sailor Steve
02-08-10, 12:22 PM
My point on this has always been that there is no difference between doing something else while the game runs itself, or using time compression to skip those parts. Either you're playing the game or you're not - there is no simulation of real-time shipboard life while you're busy not playing, just in-game time passing without your help.