PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on SH4 and need help.

Capt. Hood
02-01-10, 04:17 PM
Hi guys i've just started playing SH4 on the steam platform and i must say its the best sim i've ever played.

I have read a few posts on the forums regarding SH4 and windows 7 which i have as my OS. It seems to run fine and i have had no problems so far. I have also orderd SH4G on disk so i can add a few of these fantastic mods & i was wondering when i install SH4G will i have to install DirectX9 as some guys have suggested or will the game run on Directx11.

Also i have read that some guys have installed it into a different folder to programs, is this the norm for windows 7 OS.

Any help would be greatfull.

VonHesse
02-01-10, 04:52 PM
I don't know about Windows 7, but I'm pretty sure you do need to install the DirectX 9.0 version that comes with the game.

Capt. Hood
02-02-10, 08:39 PM
Thanks VonHesse I 've just intalled SH4G & seems to run ok on windows 7

magic452
02-02-10, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the boat mate. :woot:
Good luck and good hunting

magic

Capt. Hood
02-03-10, 01:57 AM
Cheers Magic,

This games got the best atmosphere of anything i've ever played.

Can't wait to get realy into it. I'm just messing about with auto targeting and everything on basic at the mo just trying to get the feel for it. i'll start cranking it up within a week and see how it goes.

Cheers for the support.

weeksatsea
02-03-10, 03:10 AM
Capt. Hood I'll jump onto your thread to make my first post too .

I had never played a sub game 7 weeks ago . Found SH3, went to GWX quickly - awesome,

then bought a second hand SH4 1.5 and went soon to Trigger Maru 1.9 - Fantastic.

Then moved from auto to manual targeting.

The advice I can give is, once you can manouver your sub around the map - try to get to manual targeting. It is so rewarding .

It's confusing but keep going . The tutorials on this site are good.

You're right about the atmosphere in the game . It is addictive.

sergei
02-03-10, 06:02 AM
Welcome aboard Capt Hood and Weeksatsea :salute:

I've just recommended this to someone else. Legions Noob Guide.
A very good video of a basic intercept and attack. I found this video very useful when I first started with the game. Get it here.
http://www.filefront.com/14286753/Legions_noob_guide.wmv/

Capt. Hood
02-03-10, 08:58 PM
Cheers guys thanks for all the support.

Just had my first blip with SH4G

i installed Websters mag optics & Torps mods with JSMGE and found out i had no conning tower & couldn't go to PS panel

Can any one advise

magic452
02-03-10, 11:55 PM
No conning tower? Sounds like Websters new "Fleetboat Stelth mod".
Low viability. However don't dive as it has a tendency to leak. :haha::rotfl2:

Uninstall the mods and see if everything is ok, if so add the mods one at a time to find which may be causing the problem.. Those mods are very stable so it may be something with your install.

The first thing that comes to mind is did you put the game in the Programs folder? If so I would uninstall that and put the game in it's own folder.
Set to run as administrator, that may fix your problem. Windows will run the game in Programs folder but when you try to mod it things don't work right.

Magic

Capt. Hood
02-04-10, 12:50 AM
Cheers Magic I'll do that when i get home. Do you mean in its own folder say on the desk top.I seem to recall reading that in one of the threads last week.

Thanks for the info.

magic452
02-04-10, 01:19 AM
Just make a folder in the drive you want to put the game, most people use drive C but I use drive E E/Silent hunter4/ but I use XP so 7 may require drive C. I personally don't put anything in a Programs folder.
Hope that fixes it for you if not there's a lot of experts here that can help.

Good luck
Magic

Capt. Hood
02-04-10, 01:50 AM
Cheers i'll try that later today thanks for your help:yeah:

Capt. Hood
02-07-10, 10:26 PM
Thanks Magic that worked:up: