PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

reddogut
01-26-10, 04:30 PM
1. I am sure several things like time of day and weather affect sight distance, but on a clear day at what range can enemy aircraft visually see my sub running on the surface? How about other surface units?

2. Did WW2 enemy aircraft have radios capable of radioing my position, speed and course to other enemy units? Does SH4 1.5 reflect this capability? Do enemy surface units radio my position, speed and course to other enemy units?

3. I have read that while submerged the most economical speed is about 3kts. At that speed what kind of range in miles should I expect to get out of the batteries (assuming a steady 3kts and no evasive manuevering)?

-Mike

Armistead
01-26-10, 04:53 PM
I assume you're playing, stock, so may differ a lil, but remember some.
A good range for aircraft spotting you is usually about 5nm's. Surface units it just differs too much. Ships have ratings and most in stock are set to competant even at hard settings. Mod's add veteran or even elite crews, these will spot you better. A better way to approach it is when you can see them, that's a safe visual difference. Also, visuals are about the lowest aspect of being found by ships, you're more likely to get picked up by radar or sonar. Mod's add the APR radar detector, which tells you ships have radar. You'll know when ships get radar, cause they'll come a chasing before they see you. Of course as you get better radar and sonar, you'll use those tools to get into better tracking positions.

If you're spotted by a plane, they usually will vector in what is within a time zone, something maybe 30 minutes away..again mod's can change everything up, but planes and ships will vector in nearby assets to hunt you. There's loads of info in the threads like "skippers bag of tricks".

I haven't checked the milage, seemed I went about 60nm's at 1kt, but you're best overall fuel milage will always be had by staying on the surface at about 10kts...should you want range...and sometimes you'll need it.

The stock game, most of these factors are easy....should have no problems sinking the entire jp navy...When you're ready for a harder game, load one of the supermods.

reddogut
01-27-10, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I am playing stock. So just for fun I took the sub down to 160 feet in the open sea and set my speed at 3kts and the batteries went down to 10% in just a hair over 45 miles