PDA

View Full Version : Ships that just blow up

reddogut
01-26-10, 02:16 PM
I am on patrol and encountered another small convoy of a medium gun boat and a destroyer.

I torpedoed the gun boat, that one was actually a pretty easy kill. Then I dived, but the destroyer already saw me and knew where I was. I got down to about 140 feet when the destroyer passed over me. But then the ship just exploded and sank for no reason. My sub rocked like the ship had hit me, but I was at 140 feet and I took no damage. Is that even possible? Or is this a glitch?

I am running SH4 1.5

sergei
01-26-10, 02:41 PM
Maybe he dropped charges and didn't get out of the way fast enough?

razark
01-26-10, 03:09 PM
I don't suppose you noticed a circle running torpedo, by chance?

I had one attack with a couple of cargo ships. I sank one with two torps, missed the other with one torp, and one torp ran in a circle. I managed to get out of the way of the torpedo, and then watched as the cargo ship sailed right into the circling torpedo.

Maybe you had the same thing happen? Otherwise, I'll go with the "dropped a depth charge on himself" idea.

reddogut
01-26-10, 04:08 PM
I had fired two torpedos at the gun boat and only one struck. I guess the other one could have been circling, but 1. when it hit wouldn't I have gotten credit for the kill? It isn't in the list of ships/airplanes I have destroyed on this patrol. And 2. Can a single torpedo bring down a destroyer?

razark
01-26-10, 05:00 PM
A single torpedo seems to be enough to bring down a destroyer.

But if it had, you would have gotten credit. I'll go with depth charge accident for it.

jerm138
01-26-10, 05:10 PM
Was the little "sunken ship" graphic on your plot in red, or gray? I've attacked convoys and got both red and gray ones. At first, I assumed the gray ones were ones I didn't get credit for. But then sometimes, I don't get credit for the red ones either, like when the explosion of one ship takes out another.

It's very confusing.

Webster
01-26-10, 06:41 PM
if a DD is backing up and dropping charges they can blow themselves up (especially common in shalow water) and thats most likely what happened to you.

a circle runner or acoustic torpedo would still give you credit for the kill

Freebird
01-26-10, 10:22 PM
I sunk a gunboat with a circle runner(laughed my a$$ off!) and didn't get the credit.

Also read in here about a guy who had a destroyer open up it's hull as it dragged over his sail. The DD sunk, no credit.

Might be what you saw.
Gary

jerm138
01-26-10, 10:26 PM
Also read in here about a guy who had a destroyer open up it's hull as it dragged over his sail. The DD sunk, no credit.

There's a new strategy for when you're out of torps... emergency blow into them!

AKA "The USS Greenville Method."

mobucks
01-26-10, 11:19 PM
kinda OT but

I was patrolling Truk harbor today when my FPS shot down to 15 as i neared it. Looked through the scope and saw what looked like peacock feathers sticking out of the water. Waited till daytime and surfaced again, and it turns out it was about 10+ destroyers that were hitting some reef sinking themselves, so the peacock feathers were actually the noses of those destroyers sticking out in a fan shape. Hahah come to think of it it may have been a lot more than 10 of them, my FPS took such a major hit.

reddogut
01-27-10, 12:30 PM
The kill didn't show up on the map at all, red or grey. The only other thing I can think of is that the DD hit some debri from the sunken gun boat.