PDA

View Full Version : Something amazing happened

reddogut
01-26-10, 01:16 PM
I am not sure if this is somewhere I could talk/brag/cry about my patrols. If not let me know. :yeah:

I am fairly new to subsim.

I started my first American Career and was out on my first patrol from PH to drop off a spy at Muroran. About 350 miles out from Muroran I ran across 2 destroyers and a small gun boat. I went to PD and periodically popped up my scope to manuever into a 90 degree torpedo shot on the lead destroyer.

I was in position for what I thought was going to be a perfect 600 or 700 yard 90 degree shot. I flooded tubes 1 and 2 and popped up the scope and was quite shocked to see the lead destroyer 90 degrees off my port side at no more that a couple hundred yards and she was steaming hard.

I thought for sure I was dead. I paniced and threw the sub into flank speed and ordered a crash dive. The destroyer passed no more than what looked like a couple dozen feet (but was probably more like a couple dozen yards) off my stern and dropped her charges. But apparently they set the charges too deep because when they went off it rocked the sub pretty good, but no damage at all. Other than having to change my shorts, I got away completely unscathed.

-Mike

SteamWake
01-26-10, 01:23 PM
Yup pay attention to the targets course and speed through the hydrophones. If you hear them alter course and suddenly jump to flank youve been 'spotted' time to get the hell outa there.

How long did it take you to get away?

Oh... by the way... If you really want to 'role play' the mission usually inserting agents took precident over tonnage on the way there. Of course after he is 'safely' inserted feel free to blast away :salute:

Of course the game doesent make this distinction but ... well orders are orders ;)

Oh and welcome to subsim !

Armistead
01-26-10, 01:39 PM
One thing to do when you set up an attack like this is hit the icon, follow nearest warship...Click it a few times. That way your sonarman will call out speeds and bearings and you'll know something is up.

Made you jump a lil out of your chair didn't it.

sergei
01-26-10, 01:49 PM
Good advice from Armistead. That little trick has saved my butt a few times.

Being depth charged sure is exciting eh?!

Welcome aboard :DL

reddogut
01-26-10, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. It took me hours of non-compressed time to get away. They hounded me for what felt like forever. I just got down below the thermal layer and just slowly slid away. This whole episode took place in the day time, mid-afternoon. I stayed submerged until nightfall and the surfaced and recharged the batteries that were down to about 25%.

Yeah, it was pretty exciting. I can't even imagine being on a real sub during WW2 and being depth charged for real. That had to be more like mortal fear than exciting.

-Mike

Armistead
01-26-10, 02:47 PM
Haha, wait until you start loading mods that make the game ..er, more realistic..unless you already are. TMO DD's are quite charming.

Andrew82
01-26-10, 02:55 PM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

jerm138
01-26-10, 04:02 PM
If the TMO destroyers are anything like the real ones were, I can't imagine how feared they must have been in real life.

Last night I picked up a convoy on sonar, so I raced several miles ahead of them, keeping them beyond the horizon the whole time. Then I dove to 200 feet (well below the thermal layer), moved into position at A1/3 and waited while rigged for silent running, at all stop. Then I time-compressed until the party arrived, and sure enough, 3 DD's started circling my exact spot and dropping depth charges, as if I had a neon buoy tethered to my boat. How would they have detected me? I was never surfaced while in visual range.

I have a hard time believing this is realistic, but I don't have anything to go off of.

And I sure would like to know how to get past a DD screen.