PDA

View Full Version : Who else is holding up the honour of the Fleet Boats?

Ducimus
01-21-10, 06:37 PM
Since our ATO brethren have been kicking around this thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108361) for a couple years now, i don't think anyone should mind if we started one of our own. :O:

Soon many of our comrades will head to the Atlantic Ocean to do their impression of Jürgen Prochnow (http://www.jpwsfc.org/). While, we the few, continue the effort to bring the empire of Japan down on it's knees. Are you, or are you planning on, being amongst the few holding up the honor of the Silent Service?

WarlordATF
01-21-10, 06:57 PM
I have always prefered the Fleetboats ever since Silent Service on the NES. i might buy SH5, but i'll probably spend alot more time in SH4 and maybe try to figure out how to convert whatever i think is cool about SH5 over to SH4.

Anchors Aweigh! :salute:

CDR Resser
01-21-10, 08:07 PM
FLEET BOATS FOREVER !!!!!!
Have been a Fleet Boat fan since I first read "Clear the Bridge" at age 9.
Have waited for a game like SH4 since "Gato", "Silent Service", and the original Silent Hunter.

Until the same treatment is applied to the Pacific, SHV will be an interesting diversion. However, it will never hold the same appeal that a Fleet Boat sim would have.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Bubblehead1980
01-21-10, 08:12 PM
Will definitely stick with SH 4 because its PTO.I will purchase SH 5 though to help the fanchise and hope for a quality SH 6, Return to the Pacific minus the numerous bugs and inaccuracies.

Buddahaid
01-21-10, 08:50 PM
At least the periscope seals aren't made of gas chamber victims hair! Still tis but a game.:woot:

Captain Dave
01-21-10, 08:51 PM
After reading Neals interview with the SH5 devs, I'm not too anxious to jump into the Atlantic. I like the warm Pacific.:cool:

Nerka
01-21-10, 09:17 PM
I got SH4 as a Christmas gift in '07. My PC wasn't good enough, so I waited and waited (or forgot). First played SH4 last December - stock. I haven't even downloaded 1.4 yet. :o

So I probably have no choice but to stick around. :)

P.S. Das Boot was good, but Run Silent, Run Deep had Clark Gable in it. :rock:

ReallyDedPoet
01-21-10, 09:25 PM
I'll buy and play 5, but there will be more
than a few installs of 4 remaining on my
desktop.

4 has lot's of life left in it.

razark
01-21-10, 09:34 PM
Gato.
Silent Service.
Silent Service II (installed on my computer still, which my 6 year old has started poking at).
Silent Hunter (also still installed).
Aces of the Deep (stuck around for a while, but it's gone now)
Silent Hunter 2 (quickly shelved).
SH3 (because that's what there was at the time, still installed, but haven't played in a while)

I got SH4 when it came out, to play on the new computer I got for it. After SH3 with GW, I was sadly disappointed by SH4 stock. Aside from that, my graphics card had a problem and would die on me. Then I decided to try some of the mods for SH4. I'm quite happy with TMO now, and the new graphics card handles it quite a bit better.

I'm not ready to get a new computer to play SH5. After the recent interview, I'm not too interested in it. I find te direction they seem to be taking it to be quite interesting, but I am looking to play a subsim, not "Das Boot; the game".

I'll stick with my lovely Fleet Boats, and proudly continue delivering torpedoes to the navy and merchant ships of the Empire.

ETR3(SS)
01-21-10, 10:08 PM
I'll take a Fleet Boat over a U Boat any day. But I might be slightly biased on that. :O:

jerm138
01-21-10, 10:18 PM
Fleet boats for me! I just started playing last month, and I've learned more about the history of the US Submarine force since then than I did during 9 years in the Navy (including 4 on a real sub!)

Especially since it inspired me to start reading up on it. Right now I'm reading Submarine! (http://www.amazon.com/Submarine-Edward-L-Beach/dp/0743487990/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264129916&sr=8-20) by Edward L. Beach. Awesome book. The game is more enjoyable because of the book, and the book is more enjoyable because of the game!

I also just finished reading The Terrible Hours (http://www.amazon.com/Terrible-Hours-Greatest-Submarine-History/dp/0060194804/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264130056&sr=1-1). Again... very incredible stuff. I had no idea that Fleet Subs had so many exciting stories.

I'm sure I'll eventually go for SH5... but that will probably be WAAAY down the road when I've finally sunk every Jap vessel in the library.

ETR3(SS)
01-21-10, 10:21 PM
Fleet boats for me! I just started playing last month, and I've learned more about the history of the US Submarine force since then than I did during 9 years in the Navy (including 4 on a real sub!) That's because you're a dirty steam pig that never went to Sub School.:D

Randomizer
01-21-10, 10:34 PM
S-18 departed Manila 8 December 41 and conducted a 33-day patrol to San Bernardino Straights, Lamon Bay, Luzon Straights and reaching as far north as Okinawa. Arrived Surabaya, Java 9 January 42.

Captain reports very heavy air activity in South China Sea and was attacked by aircraft on six occasions without sustaining any significant damage. Also encountered 9-days of very bad weather while on patrol station.

Sighted ships on four occasions (three were warship contacts) but unable to execute any torpedo attacks. Sank four junks for 320 tons with gunfire out of sheer frustration.

Captian requested new construction, was told to bugger off and get back to sea.

aanker
01-22-10, 12:15 AM
Are you, or are you planning on, being amongst the few holding up the honor of the Silent Service?
LOL, I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count.

Happy Hunting!

Art

Armistead
01-22-10, 02:02 AM
Fleetboats for a good few months. Obvious I'll probably buy SH5, but gonna give it a few months for feedback and wait until we see how it works out and the first couple patches come out. Once the bugs are out and mods are up, I'll give it a try. With all the mod's of SH4, can't find a better game.

magic452
01-22-10, 03:20 AM
From what I've seen in the SH5 threads I'll be playing SH4 with TMO for a very long time. I'm still trying to finish a TMO1.63 career so I have 1.9 or 2.0? to go. I'm going to take advantage of all the hard work Ducimus put into TMO.:rock::rock:
Than will put in RSRD and try to do all the major battles.

After that I will give RFB a good workout.

Just starting with FOTRS on a second install.

Don't see SH5 in the near future.

Magic

sharkbit
01-22-10, 09:41 AM
I've always liked Fleet Boats. Played Silent Service on a Commodore 64 with a monochrome screen....ughhh.:doh:

Unfortunately, when shopping for a subsim a couple of years ago, I figured SH4 wouldn't run on my computer, so I opted for SH3. A decision I have never regretted.

We got a new rig last spring, and I bought SH4 in August for my birthday, skipped playing stock completely, modded it(have tried both TMO 1.8 and RFB 1.5 +RSRD), and have enjoyed it quite a bit.

I will continue to play both games as the mood comes upon me. Both games have their good and bad points. I think I lean a little more toward the challenge of the Atlantic though.

:)

gimpy117
01-22-10, 10:09 AM
I'll buy and play 5, but there will be more
than a few installs of 4 remaining on my
desktop.

4 has lot's of life left in it.

maybe we'll have a fleet boat add-on for 5

ReallyDedPoet
01-22-10, 10:13 AM
maybe we'll have a fleet boat add-on for 5

Would be nice. With at least one FB being fully accessible. I am guessing that a lot of 4 will be ported over to 5 with mods regardless. It was done for the ATO with OM and others in 4.

Inner Sound
01-22-10, 11:51 AM
I'll wait till they've patched it a few times. Maybe even wait till it's got a good load of mods.

And did I read that right? SHV will terminate in 1943? Well there's your expansion pack right there. So I'll likely even wait till it's gone Gold, so I hope the franchise isn't depending on me !

Plenty life in TMO yet - I'm only up to 75% realism. And barely scratched the surface of what rsrdc can deliver.

Fishbreath
01-22-10, 12:00 PM
Gato.
I'll stick with my lovely Fleet Boats, and proudly continue bouncing torpedoes off the navy and merchant ships of the Empire.

Fixed that for you. Stinking duds.

Rockin Robbins
01-22-10, 12:10 PM
USS Kraken II, on patrol, Philippine Islands, 1941. Cranky arsed pig-boat with too few torpedoes, food that tastes like diesel oil, no air conditioning, can't outrun a fast swimmer, hell--can't outdive one either, five Jap merchants on the bottom. It's magnificent! Where else could be better than this? I'm in for the duration.:up:

razark
01-22-10, 12:23 PM
Fixed that for you. Stinking duds.

What duds? I'm told the torpedoes work just fine. I'm just not using them correctly.

Recently started a new career, S-boat this time. Turned off automatic targeting. I was having a great time with it. Wonderful tutorials on the 90 degree attack, and TDC attacks. Then I got a new boat. Set up for my first attack. Lovely Maru sailing right where I wanted it, four fish out of the tubes, nice solid thuds as they hit. :damn:

Quickly found a reference to the 45 degree attack. Works much better with these MK-14s.

Yeah, there's a lot of life left for these fleet boats. Besides, who wants to give up air conditioning and the ice cream machine?

Wilcke
01-22-10, 12:24 PM
Two installs of SH4 one with RFB and TMO, both on patrol in the Pacific. I do have one install of SH4 with Lurkers fabulous OM and OMEGU! Its an awesome time to be playing SH4.

Fishbreath
01-22-10, 01:01 PM
What duds? I'm told the torpedoes work just fine. I'm just not using them correctly.

Recently started a new career, S-boat this time. Turned off automatic targeting. I was having a great time with it. Wonderful tutorials on the 90 degree attack, and TDC attacks. Then I got a new boat. Set up for my first attack. Lovely Maru sailing right where I wanted it, four fish out of the tubes, nice solid thuds as they hit. :damn:

Quickly found a reference to the 45 degree attack. Works much better with these MK-14s.

Yeah, there's a lot of life left for these fleet boats. Besides, who wants to give up air conditioning and the ice cream machine?

On this patrol, I've hit my target with 5/7 torpedoes. 5/5 hits have been duds. >.>

cdrsubron7
01-22-10, 01:16 PM
SHIV shall be on my computer long after SH5 has been taken off. The PTO has always been my main interest. :D

trynnallen
01-22-10, 01:31 PM
Left Cavite Navy Yard on Dec 9th with orders to patrol between Luzon and the Japanese Home Island of Kyushu.

Arrived off of Northern Luzon on Dec 14th, and on the evening of the 15th submerged, amidst a foggy and not so calm sea and stalked a 3 ship convoy of warships. On closer examination I found a Fubuki, a small gunboat and large gunboat. Set for a spread of 3 on the Fubuki. A quick spin of the scope found nothing else on the surface.

Set torpedo's on high speed set two torpedos for magnetic and one for contact. Contact is middle of spread. Set depth for 20, 10, 20

Waited for DD to close to 1700 and fired. Angle had changed from near 90 to close to 45 for the first torpedo and nearer 90 for the 3rd. First torpedo prematures within 25 ft of target. 2nd lands under the bridge and bounces. 3rd runs under the engines and actually does what it is supposed to do. Down goes the Fubuki by the stern.

Raise scope the Gunboats have turned to the north and seem to be retreating. Did not pursue.

Arrived at patrol area on the 18th. Executed search plan was able to stay surfaced for much of the patrol only having to dive twice. Crew accounted for one Emily Class flying boat. Minor damage sustained to hull when the Emily flew over the sub. Stayed on station till the 24th and saw nothing, except ocean.

On the 24th was ordered to Kochi(? I think it was Kochi...) to photo the harbor. Arrived Kochi and found a Fubuki and Mutsuki doing laps outside the harbor. Submerged and timed the laps as I approached the enterance found a gap and continued on. Found the harbor busy. 2 Large Modern Tankers, A large composite and a small composite dockside. Also found two gunboats resting at quayside with steam coming out of the stacks. Manuvering in the harbor was a Large composite. Photos compiled I set up the stern tubes on Large composite manuvering in the harbor. Set all four tubes for shallow running and turned off magnetic exploder as I wouldn't be able to get under the hull. Angle on bow was about 30 degrees. Set for slow and dived with a slow turn to port with intention of being able to clear the break water as the destroyers enter harbor.

2 duds and 2 big explosions with credit for the sinking. The Fubuki runs towards the harbor and misses me as I go out. Mutuski starts doing figure 8's. Parting shots. Set up four forward for the Mutuski and one for the Fubuki. Fubuki set shallow and not magnetic. The Mutuski 3 magnetic and one contact. Fubuki is hit but doesn't go down, but is out of the fight. Mutuski takes two hits. One contact, one magnetic. The contact hits under the bow gun, and the magnetic under the stern. The ship is down by the stern but won't go down. Pass the sinking ship heading for deep water. 2 tubes loaded aft. Fire both. Both premature. Load two more aft. Fire said, first prematures, second explodes under the bridge. Down goes Mutuski.

Torpedo load is now 6 forward and two aft. Reported in and was told to intercept a fast convoy. Found convoy but was unable to gain a firing postion. Returned to Cavite on Jan 6.
Record:
1 Fubuki
1 Mutuski
1 Large Composite

Reloaded, crewed out, and ordered to the South China Sea and transfered to Surubaya.

Munchausen
01-22-10, 02:53 PM
:cool: If somebody can figure out how to put the attack map "X" on the navigation map, I'll be sailing the Pacific in a Duci-modded fleet boat for a very long time.

Ducimus
01-22-10, 03:55 PM
Its an awesome time to be playing SH4.

And it's only going to get better! :yeah:

Nisgeis
01-22-10, 05:13 PM
:cool: If somebody can figure out how to put the attack map "X" on the navigation map, I'll be sailing the Pacific in a Duci-modded fleet boat for a very long time.

You mean as an aid to assist plotting from your stadimeter readings?

G2B
01-22-10, 09:43 PM
USS Spearfish heading for patrol area in the Lombok Straight, had reports of enemy may be trying to capture Bali. May have to attempt night surface action due to shallow waters.

Going to stick with the PTO and the Hula Girls :D But maybe if they had SHV with Fleet Boat add on I might be tempted.

HMCS
01-22-10, 10:17 PM
USS Finback (SS-230) on patrol off Honshu after patrolling the Aleutians. July, 1942.

gutted
01-22-10, 11:25 PM
I wont.

I prefer U-Boats & the Atlantic. :D

jazman
01-23-10, 01:26 AM
I need my luxury yachts. American Fleet Boats forever!

magic452
01-23-10, 02:55 AM
By Razark

Ice cream machine?
by the way they are carrying on in the SH5 thread I think a popcorn machine would be more appropriate. :yeah:

Magic

razark
01-23-10, 03:13 AM
Ice cream machine?

You can find it listed here: http://www.maritime.org/pr/factsheet.htm (http://www.maritime.org/pr/factsheet.htm)
I recall a number of boats had ice cream machines installed. Good food was one of the perks of the fleet boats; helps keep morale up.

by the way they are carrying on in the SH5 thread I think a popcorn machine would be more appropriate. :yeah:

Yes, but there's no room for it on a Type VII.

Munchausen
01-25-10, 01:07 PM
You mean as an aid to assist plotting from your stadimeter readings?

:cool: Yes. Exactly. Take a stadimeter reading and then mark (with "pencil") the spot where the "X" plots out on the Nav map. If it could be done ... well, there goes RR's rationale for keeping "map updates" on. (Well, half the rationale, anyway. There's still no "realistic" method of plotting a radar contact ... without also plotting visual contacts.)

AVGWarhawk
01-25-10, 01:30 PM
Reporting for duty sir! :salute: I'm partial to the fleets. I make no mystery of that. I will buy SH5. It looks interesting and should be a good change of water color when I need it. :D

Nisgeis
01-25-10, 01:40 PM
:cool: Yes. Exactly. Take a stadimeter reading and then mark (with "pencil") the spot where the "X" plots out on the Nav map. If it could be done ... well, there goes RR's rationale for keeping "map updates" on. (Well, half the rationale, anyway. There's still no "realistic" method of plotting a radar contact ... without also plotting visual contacts.)

Something is in the works regarding that for radar contacts.

Ducimus
01-25-10, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kPxNOW108

Inner Sound
01-26-10, 09:12 AM
Thanks for putting that up Ducimus.

There's a brilliant photo at 3:02 in that video. Anyone point me the savable original? Quite fancy it for a desktop.

Syxx_Killer
01-26-10, 11:51 AM
Yesterday I reinstalled SH4 on my computer (only sub sim I have installed). I've come to the conclusion that I prefer only SH4. I've got nothing against U-Boats, but I strongly prefer the USN. For me, it is the Silent Service all the way! After using the Fleet Boat and then using a U-Boat, I REALLY missed my Fleet Boat! :arrgh!: I loved Silent Service on the NES back in the day and SH4 has reminded me of that ever since it came out. Every time I start SH4, I swear I can hear the SS theme song playing. :88) :D

Wilcke
01-26-10, 12:01 PM
Yesterday I reinstalled SH4 on my computer (only sub sim I have installed). I've come to the conclusion that I prefer only SH4. I've got nothing against U-Boats, but I strongly prefer the USN. For me, it is the Silent Service all the way! After using the Fleet Boat and then using a U-Boat, I REALLY missed my Fleet Boat! :arrgh!: I loved Silent Service on the NES back in the day and SH4 has reminded me of that ever since it came out. Every time I start SH4, I swear I can hear the SS theme song playing. :88) :D

Happy Hunting!

Ducimus
01-26-10, 12:11 PM

I think this is why i keep plugging away at modding Sh4. Trying to make the most out of it, because fleetboat sims don't come around very often.

edit: as that video goes, i wonder what the guy used as a background song. I really like it.

Hitman
01-26-10, 12:21 PM
There's a brilliant photo at 3:02 in that video. Anyone point me the savable original? Quite fancy it for a desktop.

Which one, the sub surfacing labelled P3, or the crew with shells for the deck gun?

Bethune
01-26-10, 01:41 PM
Got my first good patrol today. Had to patrol off the solomon islands, i sunk 8 ships, evaded 2 destroyers and got back to port safe. First time i didnt die :p even got a medal. :DL

the more i play this game, the more exited i get :D

AVGWarhawk
01-26-10, 01:52 PM
Thanks for putting that up Ducimus.

That picture is on the net. I have seen it before. Forgot where I seen it. I think you will find it here:

http://www.ranger95.com/navy/submarines/fleet_subs/index.htm#1

Syxx_Killer
01-26-10, 03:59 PM
Happy Hunting!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to sending a few Marus to the bottom. A few battleships won't hurt, either. :arrgh!:

Maybe I need to rethink this "holding up the honor" thing (I can't even get my mods straight!). It has been a long time since I played SH4. I haven't reinstalled 1.5, yet. Even though I haven't played the game, I did try to keep tabs on TMO. I guess I followed it too much. I thought I had TMO 1.9. Turns out I only have TMO 1.7! :oops: I've got TMO 1.9 downloading right now. :DL

Ducimus
01-26-10, 04:06 PM
Get the latest patch for version 1.9. Dated yesterday i think.
edit: after that, add this. You won't be sorry.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158706

Inner Sound
01-26-10, 04:33 PM
It's the gun crew - all these lines of force and focus going across and beyond the image, and the eternal stillness of a moment caught yet forever gone.

Syxx_Killer
01-26-10, 05:40 PM
Thanks, Ducimus. I'll check that out. I have to redownload TMO 1.9 because 7-Zip says there are broken files. :damn: My computer crashed so I had to resume upon restart. I'll wait until tomorrow to start again. I'm ready to launch my computer out of tube one! :x

Elder-Pirate
01-26-10, 09:17 PM
Reporting for duty sir! :salute: I'm partial to the fleets. I make no mystery of that. I will buy SH5. It looks interesting and should be a good change of water color when I need it. :D

You still plan on buying SHV since you found out about DRM?
I droped out of the race. Will keep SHIV going for a loooong time. I hope. :D

Zoomer96
01-26-10, 11:56 PM
I will buy Sh5 and play it no doubt about that, But I would much prefer a Pacific WWII scenario Fleet Boat! I love the way they look especially with the cut down conning tower and foobor's skins! SH4 will be staying on my computer. I think a Pacific Add On for the Fleet Boats would be about the coolest thing Ubisoft could do at this point. :):):):)

Syxx_Killer
01-27-10, 10:37 AM
I decided to redownload TMO 1.9 last night. I have to say I absolutely love the opening picture! I like it better than the old one. What sub is that a photo of?

Ducimus
01-27-10, 12:34 PM
I decided to redownload TMO 1.9 last night. I have to say I absolutely love the opening picture! I like it better than the old one. What sub is that a photo of?

No idea. Someone just posted a color photo once, and i said,, "Ohhh me likey!"

sergei
01-27-10, 03:20 PM
Wanted to wait until I started a new career before posting in this thread.

Left Manila Dec 7th 1941. After enduring 2 weeks of heavy rain, followed by 2 weeks of fog, was just about to give up this patrol as a bust when, on Jan 7th, our luck changed.
Just as the weather was clearing we ran into a small convoy making its way up the western side of Formosa. Bagged a large merchant and a tanker, and slink away during the ensuing chaos.
Decided to make the long transit to our new base at Surabaya.
Going through the Makassar Strait we spotted a lone small freighter. Submerged to attack. 3 duds and one miss later, and with the weather too rough for a gun action, we decided it must be his lucky day and let him go on his way.
50 miles out from our new base, spotted 2 medium size Japanese freighters, happily steaming towards Surabaya acting for all the world as if there wasn't a war on.
Guess they didn't get the memo.
As they are crossing our bow at about 2000 yards, we shoot our last 4 bow torpedoes, 2 at each target. This time they all work! Scratch 2 more marus.
Arrived at Surabaya Jan 17th 1942, 6 weeks after leaving Manila.

All in all a very highly first war patrol for the Captain and crew of the USS Shark.

silent killer
01-27-10, 03:29 PM
You believe it duci, i am staying, with the mods that all the modders have created for SH4 it has become a darn good sim.:yeah::yeah::yeah:

AVGWarhawk
01-27-10, 03:44 PM
No idea. Someone just posted a color photo once, and i said,, "Ohhh me likey!"

It was I sir. :salute: I was never credited either. I'm mean really. WTH? J/K sir. :03: It's all good. I do not know what sub it is. I do recall Duci going ape sh*t over it.

Ducimus
01-27-10, 04:15 PM
It was I sir. :salute: I was never credited either. I'm mean really. WTH? J/K sir. :03: It's all good. I do not know what sub it is. I do recall Duci going ape sh*t over it.

You want me to credit you for a picture you found on the internet that i later edited in Gimp? :hmmm:

Otay Buckwheat! :O:

AVGWarhawk
01-27-10, 04:18 PM
You want me to credit you for a picture you found on the internet that i later edited in Gimp? :hmmm:

Otay Buckwheat! :O:

Yeah port support crew!!!!! :har: Kind of like lead gaffer in the movie production. :stare: :O: I need to get your new update. Been messing with Fallout 3 as you know. :salute:

Syxx_Killer
01-27-10, 04:41 PM
Can I get a high-res version of that picture? It would make great wallpaper! :yeah:

Q3ark
01-28-10, 08:12 AM
Fleet boats forever man!! Just installed sh4 after a long time away, with TMO, RSRD and the new interiors by vickers03 who needs a rusty old type VII yuck:ahoy:

Ducimus
01-28-10, 03:00 PM
Just in case anyone missed this, and has 45 minutes to kill: :D

I love documentaries. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2427972655646186523&q=silent+service&total=559&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8#)

vickers03
01-28-10, 03:17 PM
good find, better quality than the one on youtube.

haz
01-28-10, 03:43 PM
love TMO still with s-boat,have all silent hunter games,without mods sh-4 would of been shelved.

AVGWarhawk
01-28-10, 03:59 PM
love TMO still with s-boat,have all silent hunter games,without mods sh-4 would of been shelved.

To be sure I did like stock for the most part. To be more sure, TMO and other mods really introduce what can be done with a game that makes it more of a simulation. Some of the ideas these guys come up with just blow me away. It is a true testiment of your talent when a player who uses your mod is still playing the game 2 years after and beyond. The modder has captured the players imagination and provided the tool to let that player imagine more than was expected. Really, hats off to all of them. :yeah:

mello85
01-28-10, 04:00 PM
Just in case anyone missed this, and has 45 minutes to kill: :D

I love documentaries. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2427972655646186523&q=silent+service&total=559&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8#)

That was brilliant! Thanks for posting it!

AVGWarhawk
01-29-10, 10:10 AM
Bump :D

Wilcke
01-29-10, 12:09 PM
...and SH4 continues to develop there are quite a few people working hard on some interesting projects! For me I really don't need another subsim. I am pretty much done with them except for continued patrols with SH4.

ReFaN
01-29-10, 01:10 PM
Havent played SH4 in a loong time, fire it up being all excited, then after 1 hour of cruising around finding nothing, im bored to tears.

AVGWarhawk
01-29-10, 01:16 PM
Sometimes it get that way for me. Often times I do like it a bit boring as I get tired of games with bang bang running action, etc. I switch back and forth.

MGR1
01-29-10, 01:20 PM
Havent played SH4 in a loong time, fire it up being all excited, then after 1 hour of cruising around finding nothing, im bored to tears.

Admittedly, a distinct possibility when sailing around. However, if you open up the campaign layers in the editor, you'll see all the convoy and single shipping routes. Fire up the game, head on over to the choke points and something will show up.:03:

It's my take on the sort of intelligence the sub skippers would have had.

If you want a real challenge, though, download and have a go at the Battle for the Baltic mod by Dagon and the boys over here: http://sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=60210. Trying to get out of and back to Kronstadt is very "interesting"!!

Now, is anyone going to have a go at giving the Sargo and Tambor classes the correct sail?

Mike.:up:

sergei
01-29-10, 02:00 PM
Seconded. You'll find the Baltic anything but boring.

Longest time I had from leaving port to enemy action: about 2 days
Shortest time I had from leaving port to enemy action: about 2 minutes

And no, I'm not kidding.

ReFaN
01-29-10, 03:56 PM
Admittedly, a distinct possibility when sailing around. However, if you open up the campaign layers in the editor, you'll see all the convoy and single shipping routes. Fire up the game, head on over to the choke points and something will show up.:03:

---It's my take on the sort of intelligence the sub skippers would have had.---

If you want a real challenge, though, download and have a go at the Battle for the Baltic mod by Dagon and the boys over here: http://sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=60210. Trying to get out of and back to Kronstadt is very "interesting"!!

Now, is anyone going to have a go at giving the Sargo and Tambor classes the correct sail?

Mike.:up:

heh, where i was patroling my last mission theres absolutely no Merchant routes. my pride suffers a major setback.

Urge
01-29-10, 06:09 PM
I love SH4! I'm an old Pigboat sailor from back in the 60's (USS Carp SS-338). Qualified in Dec. '66 while out at sea in the north Atlantic, was given my Dolphins on deck by the Captain and then was promptly thrown overboard by the crew (in workboots and dress blues-in Dec.). The boys took me out to "Drink my Dolphins" when we got back to port ( I think they have since outlawed that). We only fired one torpedo with a live warhead in my time onboard and we blew up a rock down in the Caribbean. One of the best times of my life! Whenever we went out to sea the crew put out a newsletter called the "Flail and Snibble" that was totally irreverent and poked fun at everyone from the Captain on down. Had some crazy characters on that boat. Just by chance I came across Sh4 in a store (I wasn't much of a gamer) and bought it because of the memories I had. It wouldn't run on my computer so I built one that would run it maxxed out. I started playing in April of '08 and was loving it until my computer developed weird problems in early summer of '09. Real life intruded and I wasn't able to fix it until late last year (I only used it for gaming and had at least 3 others in the house for internet etc.).There were lots of options when I came back so I tried several and I'm now running TMO 1.7+ RSRD. It's August of '42 and I'm on an S boat in the Solomons. I have been out to sea for a month, refueled once and have not fired a torpedo! This is just wrong! There are constant planes driving me down and I haven't even seen a ship to shoot at??? I love this game and I'm not thinking of quitting it but I'm open to suggestions. There should be lots of action in the Solomons at this time. With all the mods for this game I can see myself playing it for years to come, I haven't even tried the U boat option yet. Kudos to all the modders.

Urge
USS Carp (SS 338)
USS Nautilus (SSN 571)
USS Shark (SSN 591)

Chef
01-29-10, 06:10 PM
FLEET BOATS FOREVER !!!!!!
Have been a Fleet Boat fan since I first read "Clear the Bridge" at age 9.

Just about exactly the same for me. I bought the book at a little bookstore in Maine when I was a few years older than that. The lady who owned the bookstore saw me looking at the book and told me her brother had been the navigation officer (XO?) on the Tang when she went down. I had read Run Silent, Run Deep and Dust on the Sea by Beach before that but suddenly I was holding a book about real men, many who died aboard her. It was one of those moments where I grew up a lot. I have the book still and read it every few years and think of that woman in Maine.

Syxx_Killer
01-29-10, 06:50 PM
This may sound dorky but here goes. One of the numerous things that keeps drawing me to the fleet boat is that I get a boat with an actual name and not just a number. And not just any name either, but something cool like Pogy, Triton, or Lionfish. I just feel more "connected" to my boat when it has an actual name. Like I said, it sounds rather dorky. :oops:

sergei
01-29-10, 07:11 PM
Tell me about it.
I actually punched the air and shouted Yeah! when was assigned the USS Shark!

Ducimus
01-29-10, 07:35 PM
I love SH4! I'm an old Pigboat sailor from back in the 60's (USS Carp SS-338). Qualified in Dec. '66 while out at sea in the north Atlantic,

...snip...

Urge
USS Carp (SS 338)
USS Nautilus (SSN 571)
USS Shark (SSN 591)

You might enjoy reading the Recollections of an After Battery Rat (http://www.olgoat.com/substuff/abr.htm). :DL

Armistead
01-29-10, 09:36 PM
I love SH4! I'm an old Pigboat sailor from back in the 60's (USS Carp SS-338). Qualified in Dec. '66 while out at sea in the north Atlantic, was given my Dolphins on deck by the Captain and then was promptly thrown overboard by the crew (in workboots and dress blues-in Dec.). The boys took me out to "Drink my Dolphins" when we got back to port ( I think they have since outlawed that). We only fired one torpedo with a live warhead in my time onboard and we blew up a rock down in the Caribbean. One of the best times of my life! Whenever we went out to sea the crew put out a newsletter called the "Flail and Snibble" that was totally irreverent and poked fun at everyone from the Captain on down. Had some crazy characters on that boat. Just by chance I came across Sh4 in a store (I wasn't much of a gamer) and bought it because of the memories I had. It wouldn't run on my computer so I built one that would run it maxxed out. I started playing in April of '08 and was loving it until my computer developed weird problems in early summer of '09. Real life intruded and I wasn't able to fix it until late last year (I only used it for gaming and had at least 3 others in the house for internet etc.).There were lots of options when I came back so I tried several and I'm now running TMO 1.7+ RSRD. It's August of '42 and I'm on an S boat in the Solomons. I have been out to sea for a month, refueled once and have not fired a torpedo! This is just wrong! There are constant planes driving me down and I haven't even seen a ship to shoot at??? I love this game and I'm not thinking of quitting it but I'm open to suggestions. There should be lots of action in the Solomons at this time. With all the mods for this game I can see myself playing it for years to come, I haven't even tried the U boat option yet. Kudos to all the modders.

Urge
USS Carp (SS 338)

USS Nautilus (SSN 571)
USS Shark (SSN 591)

If you're playing RSRD and I'm sure you know your history, you should have no problems finding ships. I have a "ConvoySS" thread showing convoys and TF on SS locations. I've battled hundreds of large convoys and partaken of every major battle. Get some battle maps, ect.

I stay in the Solomon's in 42. All the Solomons battles are scripted and with radar not much can get by you. Many large DD groups run the slot as do several TF.

You'll also find convoys in the Bismark sea and the shipping land between Palau and Wewak.

I assume you have the mods loaded and you've seen the difference, ect. Planes are not much of a problem for me, unless in a campaign area.

Wolfling04
01-30-10, 03:25 AM
Sailing in the USS. Harder SS-257 right now:03:

AVGWarhawk
01-30-10, 05:06 PM
Gents,

Currently I'm reading this book:

http://www.stephenlmoore.com/sm_lost.html

It is excellent and fully describes first hand what submariners endured in the POW camps. It was not pleasant. Not at all. Reading some of the accounts by the men that were there gets me a bit angered. At any rate, I recommend this book as a must read if the silent service during WW2 intrigues you. Fear not the price. Amazon has it for under $20.00 used and if you collect WW2 submarine books for your library this is a must have.

Carry on!

ReallyDedPoet
01-30-10, 06:12 PM
Having a hell of a patrol using the GFO Mod and a few others :yep::up:

kylesplanet
01-31-10, 12:18 AM
I'll be staying right here in SH4. I had never played a sub sim until I bought SH4. I'm not even a gamer really, I only have two games I play...SH4 and Flight Simulator 2004.

I tried SH3 but I just couldn't put myself in the Uboat. When I'm in my Fleetboat, I'm there. It's easy for me to absorb the entire enviorment. I watch movies from the forty's, listen to the radio shows of the period and read all the books on that long jog across the Pacific. I love the newscast on Freds radio mods, I always listen until Ducimus's evil ships and planes are in range and then...it's on.

As long as I stay away from Bungo Pete, I'll be here for a long time to come. It's my favorite game and I love my Fleetboat! :salute:

Platapus
01-31-10, 09:14 AM
I just started another SH4 career. Every couple of months I get the itch.

Was doing great at 100% realism until I had another famous SH4 TC death.

I do wish that TC would cut to 1:1 before the third shell of the destroyer hits me. :damn:

I was cruising along at 10 knots. In the middle of the sea. I was at TC 128. My first indicator was the distorted sound effects of gun fire than my game froze so I could not kill the TC. After about 10 seconds I was able to kill TC but found that by that time I had a destroyer about 1000 yards away from me and it had already hit me several times with its deck gun. Not much I could do.

I do wish the TC in SH4 would work better. :yep:

Tonight I might start up yet another career. The problem with SH4 is that with the long distances and the need to putz along at 10 knots to save fuel, TC is an important part of the game.

I would like my patrols to last no more than four hours. That gives me the chance to complete one patrol per evening of game playing. That is hard enough with TC that works. If I have to move TC no higher than 1:32, I will be lucky to complete one patrol every three days. And that simply aint fun in my book.

Inner Sound
01-31-10, 09:59 AM
Second that, Platapus: the game should drop to 1:1 when it's planning a bit of disageeableness.

Armistead
01-31-10, 01:03 PM
You running any mods. The only time I have trouble getting killed with high TC is if I do something stupid early war not having radar.

Did you notice any PC lag. Usually when you get into the contact zone..ships are within the radius of your best equipment, your PC will lag.
That's the time to stop TC and check sonar and get a bearing

You probably do it, but when you need to get the TC down, don't do it step by step, hit F2 and it will take you to the control room and TC will drop to 1 with the click of one button. If you try to slow down with the - key step by step, things are still going fast and you may get within range of DD's before you reach normal time.

Elder-Pirate
01-31-10, 01:44 PM
You running any mods. The only time I have trouble getting killed with high TC is if I do something stupid early war not having radar.

Did you notice any PC lag. Usually when you get into the contact zone..ships are within the radius of your best equipment, your PC will lag.
That's the time to stop TC and check sonar and get a bearing

You probably do it, but when you need to get the TC down, don't do it step by step, hit F2 and it will take you to the control room and TC will drop to 1 with the click of one button. If you try to slow down with the - key step by step, things are still going fast and you may get within range of DD's before you reach normal time.

This is a true working statement, :yeah: for I do the same and have never been hit because of being too close because of time compression.

Other stupid mistakes of mine to be hit/sunk yeah, :damn: but not TC.

Platapus
01-31-10, 05:23 PM
I usually try to hit the backspace key which brings TC down to 0. The problem is that there was too much CPU time being used on the contact attacks that my "TC command" was a low priority. :nope:

I could understand if I was running 4,000:1 TC but I was putzing along at 128:1. That should not have been too much TC.

Oh well, just one of the joys of SH4. :damn:

snakeyez
02-04-10, 04:16 PM
I'm staying with SH4 fleet boats. I might purchase SH5 down the road. I'll definitely get it if fleet boats are added on.

GOZO
02-05-10, 10:18 AM
Playing both!:salute:

Cant be without Fleetboats!!!

/Gozo

Armistead
02-06-10, 12:42 AM
Seeing that SH5 is gonna require online to play I think FB's will be around for a long time....keep on modding, cuz I ain't buying something I have to be online to play..