PDA

View Full Version : Can't enter mast height

jerm138
01-17-10, 07:48 PM
So, I tracked this guy down using sonar. I can see him through my obs scope, but the program hasn't "seen" him yet (nobody yelled out "ship spotted, and it's not showing up on the magical GPS map)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u119/jerm138/ident.jpg

I can see it good enough to identify it (the screenshot isn't that great), but when I hit the check box on the Ship Recognition Manual to enter mast height data and take a range with the stadimeter, nothing happens.

Do I have to wait for someone else to spot the ship before I can take range data? I know it will only be a few minutes, but I'd like to start planning my attack as early as possible.

Is there any way to force the mast height into the TDC and make it let me use the stadimeter?

Bubblehead1980
01-17-10, 08:11 PM
Simply click on the checkmark in the right had corner, sends the mast height to the TDC.Then the stadimeter is ready for use.Bring the double image down to the tallest point on the ship, the masts, then click the "send bearing and range" button, should have a pretty good range estimate, unless you are using SCAF, then bring it to the mark in the rec manual, i see no mark so will assume not using SCAF.

Histortical note(if you care) As far as I know, only the attack periscope had a stadimeter, not the obs/night scope, some reason it wasnt removed from the obs scope in the game.

jerm138
01-17-10, 08:19 PM
I know how to use it normally.

What I'm saying is that when the ship is too far away and I hit the checkbox, nothing happens. My crosshair is pointed right at the ship, but hitting the checkbox is fruitless until the program decides he's close enough to take a range

I want to override that "feature" and force it to let me send data to the TDC regardless of where my scope is pointed or what the program thinks I should be able to see.

It's an unnecessary restriction that kills the realism. I should be able to point it at a life-raft and enter an aircraft carrier's mast height into the TDC without restriction, and I should be able to use the stadimeter whenever I want, not just when the game gives me permission.

magic452
01-18-10, 02:23 AM
Check out the Easy AoB mod. I think it will allow manual input of range and/or mast height. Not too sure about mask height as I don't use the mod.

Magic

sergei
01-18-10, 03:29 AM
Try hitting the lock button.
Sometimes, even when a target is just outside the "auto detect bubble", you can still lock on for a few seconds, long enough to send info to the TDC.

jerm138
01-18-10, 12:47 PM
Try hitting the lock button.
Sometimes, even when a target is just outside the "auto detect bubble", you can still lock on for a few seconds, long enough to send info to the TDC.

It would let me lock on, but it wouldn't let me send data from the Recognition Manual to the TDC.

I had this happen once before with a ship that was only about 2000 yards away. It was foggy and I could only see the silhouette, but the game thought I shouldn't be able to see it so it wouldn't let me send the data to the TDC. :down:

I just really don't like that this restriction is in the game at all, and was hoping there is a workaround. We should be able to enter data at any time.

Bubblehead1980
01-18-10, 05:05 PM
yea, wish you could enter it anytime, yet another oversight be the devs.Not sure if it can be fixed though, by now i think the modders would have, nearly every defect and crap thing that can be fixed has, i think.

Armistead
01-18-10, 07:44 PM
Actually you can enter it anytime using easy AOB mod, just run them both so you can operate both wheels to the full extent.

Ducimus
01-18-10, 07:57 PM
Looks like a screenshot from TMO.

I didn't document it very well, but you should be able to manuallly adjust the mast height. Click on mast height dial, drag to whatever you want, and then send to TDC. Check your attack map (F6) afterwards and you'll see the torpedo's track will have changed based on the distance you just manually input.

jerm138
01-18-10, 08:40 PM
Looks like a screenshot from TMO.

I didn't document it very well, but you should be able to manuallly adjust the mast height. Click on mast height dial, drag to whatever you want, and then send to TDC. Check your attack map (F6) afterwards and you'll see the torpedo's track will have changed based on the distance you just manually input.Yes... TMO 1.9. Thanks for such an awesome mod!

Where is the mast height dial you mention? Sounds like it's exactly what I want.

Edit... I see the input dial on the outer ring of the data entry window (upper right) but I can't seem to "grab" it. All that changes is the inner ring where I set the range.

Urge
01-18-10, 10:29 PM
I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1228

Here is the original thread.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152945

Urge

jerm138
01-19-10, 03:38 AM
I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1228 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1228)

Here is the original thread.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152945

Urge DOOD!!! Thanks!! I didn't try the mod, but it lead me to this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=717

Just some simple changes in a .cfg file and you can now take control of the outer ring to manually input mast height... ANYTIME!!

I tried it, and sho 'nuff hit a carrier from 2500 yards away!! (fired 6 fish... first one, BIG explosion, 2nd one killed him, 3rd and 4th were just for the fireworks, 5th and 6th went past his bow because he had stopped moving):yeah::D

So... I can vouch that it works, and it's accurate.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Now I just need a way to make it let me use the Stadimeter anytime I want, not just when I'm looking at a ship.

Thanks for pointing me there, and thanks to muchausen for posting that!!

Off to kill me some Japs...:arrgh!:

Armistead
01-19-10, 09:07 AM
Why would you want to use the stad when not looking at a ship?

I'll check my files, I think I once had that working, but I also got rid of the lock funtion...

jerm138
01-19-10, 09:49 AM
Why would you want to use the stad when not looking at a ship?I don't like having the program tell me "you can't use the stadimeter right now because you're not close enough to the ship, or it's not close enough to your crosshair." It's an unnecessary and unrealistic restriction.

I know that using the stadimeter at very long ranges is inaccurate, but I'd still like to be able to use it for ballpark figures. Also, there are times when I'd like to use it when the target is way off to the side of my scope view. As it is now, I have to wait for it to get in the center.

Munchausen
01-19-10, 11:18 AM
:cool: IIRC, you can use the stadimeter in conjunction with radar, even when not locked on a target. And there are a couple mods that improve the accuracy when measuring range to a target via radar. Luckily, with the Easy AOB mod, you can then set the range manually.

The stadimeter becomes fully functional whenever some part (not necessarily the center) of your target touches the crosshairs.

Armistead
01-19-10, 12:11 PM
I don't like having the program tell me "you can't use the stadimeter right now because you're not close enough to the ship, or it's not close enough to your crosshair." It's an unnecessary and unrealistic restriction.

I know that using the stadimeter at very long ranges is inaccurate, but I'd still like to be able to use it for ballpark figures. Also, there are times when I'd like to use it when the target is way off to the side of my scope view. As it is now, I have to wait for it to get in the center.

It's unrealistic, I agree, but I can't find away around it. I can get the lock function to cut off and make the stad usable. The problem then becomes one of function. Without being able to lock on, you don't have enough hands to operate all the needed keys, because you need the mouse to steer the scope and operate the stad. Trying to use the arrows and hold them on a ship why using the mouse to do the stad is impossible.

If you want to be able to lock on to targets that you can see, but won't lock, then that becomes a long process of changing weather conditions vs. crew/equipment ability.

The other issue that caused crashes is you will have times your scope gets damaged. If you've played longed enough, when this happend the lock will work, but will be way off center. I would guess you could just disable that.

Maybe someone could figure a work around, but the problem is one thing effects another, then that another and before you know it you have many things that have to be reworked...beyond my skills and I don't know that anyone else has tried it yet.

jerm138
01-19-10, 12:46 PM
Yeah... that sounds like more work than it's worth. Having it connected to the lock feature makes it rather tricky, because I wouldn't want to lose the lock feature (for the reasons you mentioned)

The main thing I wanted was the ability to manually operate the mast-height ring, and I can do that now :up:

I can live without the stadimeter for the extra few minutes it takes for the computer to "see" the contact.

I still think it's B.S. to program it that way... but what can we do? (besides gripe... and I think I've done enough of that :D)

Urge
01-19-10, 04:12 PM
Munchausen wrote...
And there are a couple mods that improve the accuracy when measuring range to a target via radar.

Do you remember the names of those mods?

Urge

Munchausen
01-21-10, 05:46 PM
:cool: This is one: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152097&highlight=radar

You can do a Search for the word "radar" in the title to find others.