PDA

View Full Version : No propeller sounds in sonar station

Subnuts
01-16-10, 09:27 PM
I've tried installing and uninstalling RFB, RSRDC, and Pacific Environments with JSGME, but I can't hear propeller sounds in the sonar station. I point the hydrophone at a contact indicated on the NAV map, get a green light, but hear nothing but ambient water sound. Point it at my stern, the same. I can still get ranges using the fathometer, but can't hear other ships.

Has anyone else had this problem in the past? I'd be grateful if anyone had a solution to this problem. Thanks!

vanjast
01-17-10, 09:25 AM
- If the ships are going below 3 knots you won't hear them => it's a game engine thing.
- Sail boats do not have engines => no sound.
- If the ships are more than about 20 Nuatical miles you probably will not hear them - RFB, I think, likes to change this to around 4 or 5 Nm.
- Can you hear your own engine ?
- RFB also likes to change the sound files - Have a look in the 'Sound' folder where you'll find a lot of 'wav' files. Play these on media player and see if they have sound. If they do, one of the mods has either elliminated the sound 'pointer' or made a new sound file. JSGME's log file will indicate all changes.

:D

Armistead
01-17-10, 01:41 PM
I run TMO and can pick props up on sonar at slow speeds of my own sub.

You can get a lock with the green light and not be able to hear the ship if they're far away unless you crank sound way up. Sonar will also lock on sunken ships, small land masses, ect., causing the light to come on.

My concern is you're not picking up your own prop noise. Could be a RFB thing. Did you listen at a higher speed?