PDA

View Full Version : External reloads

mookiemookie
10-09-09, 08:46 AM
It would be nice to see these treated with a bit more realism than they were in SH3. Being unable to dive while the crew has a winch set up to lower the reloads would be a nice touch. Not being able to move torpedos below while in storms or heavy seas would also make sense.

I guess I'd like to see something a bit more realistic than just having a % progress bar that stops when you dive and picks up where it left off when you surface.

Onkel Neal
10-09-09, 08:52 AM
Oh yes, that would be a significant improvement, the gameplay changes would be nice. One would have to plan the external reloads carefully and suffer the consequences if they are caught on the surface during a reload. :yeah:

mookiemookie
10-09-09, 08:56 AM
Oh yes, that would be a significant improvement, the gameplay changes would be nice. One would have to plan the external reloads carefully and suffer the consequences if they are caught on the surface during a reload. :yeah:

I was thinking of the torpedo load on the Cavalla while writing this post. I sure would have hated to have been jumped by Zeros while wrestling with those monsters! :cool:

Dowly
10-09-09, 09:55 AM
Would be nice to see them reload them too. Sweating in some remote area in the Caribbean, wearing only boxers... then I'd dive and let them drown for bringing homoerotic vibes to my boat. :hmmm::yep:

oscar19681
10-09-09, 11:44 AM
How about taking it even a step further! How about visual implenetation of loading the external tubes! I mean it would be kind of weird not having anything happen in the external view when loading an external tube with the the possibilaty,s many sim,s have these days. I always felt that there was something weird about the fact there was nothing happening in external view when getting me external tubes loaded.

rosentorf
10-09-09, 12:01 PM
I guess I'd like to see something a bit more realistic than just having a % progress bar that stops when you dive and picks up where it left off when you surface.

An option to throw the torpedo that is currently being loaded overboard in an emergency so you can dive quicker. However that would require a precise model of the loading as it might be quicker to finish loading the current torpedo instead of just ditching it. There could be the choice between finishing loading or just throwing it overboard depending on the state of loading the current torpedo is in.

EDIT: you know whichever is quicker. like: a) dump torpedo 20 seconds b) finish loading 75 seconds

Alex
10-09-09, 02:00 PM
@ Dowly : Great idea. :|\\

And especially fine sig. http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2839/evillol.gif

TarJak
10-09-09, 02:12 PM
@ Dowly : Great idea. :|\\

And especially fine sig. http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2839/evillol.gif
@Alex,

I dunno that Dowly having homoerotic vibes on his boat is a good idea.:hmmm::D

oscar19681
10-09-09, 02:13 PM
An option to throw the torpedo that is currently being loaded overboard in an emergency so you can dive quicker. However that would require a precise model of the loading as it might be quicker to finish loading the current torpedo instead of just ditching it. There could be the choice between finishing loading or just throwing it overboard depending on the state of loading the current torpedo is in.

EDIT: you know whichever is quicker. like: a) dump torpedo 20 seconds b) finish loading 75 seconds

When all fails MAN THE FLAK GUN! and if its a destroyer MAN THE DECK GUN!

Alex
10-09-09, 02:18 PM
@ TJ : the good idea lies in the option to be able to drown them all. :har:

Snestorm
10-09-09, 08:38 PM
Carrying externals should, preferrably (en sp?), be optional, or be discontinued at the proper historic time.
Especialy if BDU is going take a more active role.
f.eks.: Southwest of Island 1944. Type IXB.
All internals expended.
BDU still treats one as though there is available ordnance?!?
That should certainly be an easy fix.

mookiemookie
10-09-09, 10:51 PM
Carrying externals should, preferrably (en sp?), be optional, or be discontinued at the proper historic time.
Especialy if BDU is going take a more active role.
f.eks.: Southwest of Island 1944. Type IXB.
All internals expended.
BDU still treats one as though there is available ordnance?!?
That should certainly be an easy fix.

True. After 43 and into 44 it was not allowed.

Jimbuna
10-10-09, 10:21 AM
Simply add it to the list of options.

Sailor Steve
10-10-09, 12:42 PM
I too think that proper conditions for reloading externals is important, but I also feel that way about internal reloading as well. Each torpedo weighs around a ton, and they didn't normally reload while in combat, as diving angles could prove steep enough to dislodge the eel and cause extreme havoc on board. Also no reloading should be allowed while surfaced in any other than a calm sea.

FIREWALL
10-10-09, 12:56 PM
Can't this be tied in with no use of deck and flak guns in bad weather ?

Heck... Is it doable in GWX ?

Jimbuna
10-10-09, 04:05 PM
We got around the guns simply by tweaking the stormy weather parameters in the Basic CFG.....the consequence was that the crew never put on they're oilskins.

To do similarly with external torps could potentially incur a similar negative consequence (been a while since I looked in that area now).

It was deemed much simpler to exercise the common sense/realistic gameplay restraint and leave the reload operation until the weather was light seas.

Webster
10-10-09, 04:11 PM
i think a simple solution is your last torpedo "must" be finished by either putting it over the side if its on deck (you lose it) or if its half way in or out it gets finished being moved in the fastest direction it can go. (if thats back onto the deck then its over the side too)

then have a time delay of about 5 minutes before you can dive to simulate sealing up all your hatches and during this time you get flooding if seas are washing over decks so you have to think about how fast and which direction you sail so by running paralell to the waves direction you can reduce this flooding until your hull is secured again.

a time delay seems the most practical solution to solve the instant dive during external loading problem

FIREWALL
10-10-09, 04:52 PM
We got around the guns simply by tweaking the stormy weather parameters in the Basic CFG.....the consequence was that the crew never put on they're oilskins.

To do similarly with external torps could potentially incur a similar negative consequence (been a while since I looked in that area now).

It was deemed much simpler to exercise the common sense/realistic gameplay restraint and leave the reload operation until the weather was light seas.

I'd be willing to test it if you'de show me how to do it.

I know it's simpler to wait till calm seas but.....:DL

Akula4745
10-11-09, 01:07 AM
It would be nice to see these treated with a bit more realism than they were in SH3. Being unable to dive while the crew has a winch set up to lower the reloads would be a nice touch. Not being able to move torpedos below while in storms or heavy seas would also make sense.

Great idea, sir! I agree completely you should not be able to dive in the middle of an external reload... and storms/rough seas.

Hartmann
10-11-09, 06:21 PM
This can add a lot of realism to the game and in late years could be impossible to reload by the danger of enemy planes, i can imagine the scene, the plane diving at full speed firing with guns and rockets, and the submarine with a ton fish on the deck the hatch open and the crane mounted.

This also can limited a lot the advantage of big boats in the war if externals are not used, it means 10 less torpedoes , 12 in total compared with 14 of the VII type . :yep:

one thing that US fleet boats manage a lot better

FIREWALL
10-11-09, 06:43 PM
You could get fuel from another U-boot later in the war as well as a U-tanker.

But later in war Torps were another matter no matter if the ocean was glass and there wasn't a plane for 1000 mi.

Edit: Plane wise wasn't likely.