PDA

View Full Version : Latest update on the Ubisoft site

TDK1044
10-08-09, 07:41 AM
Latest update on the Ubisoft site 10/28

Will ship damage and breakup be improved?

Yes. Now the ships can break in multiple parts, still stay afloat even though, for instance, they lost their bow due to a torpedo hit. The explosions and the SFX will also be enhanced.

In SH III, the engine telegraph orders are German translations of US Navy orders. For example, the Kriegsmarine never used the term, "Eins dritte fahrt voraus." Could Ubisoft put in the correct German telegraph orders?

In Silent Hunter 5, the crew voice lines for the engine telegraph orders will be appropriate for the German u-boat engine telegraphs. For instance, that particular German voiceover will be “Kleine fahrt voraus”.

Will there be any AI operated boats forming a Wolfpack?

There will be AI operated boats. Wolfpack mechanics are under consideration. This is something we always wanted to do but we want to do them properly so there’s a question if we’ll be able to fit them before release.

Will we be able to meet another u-boat, while on the patrol? Say hello, exchange fuel and food supplies, perhaps?

Resupplying from milk-cows will definitely be possible. Meeting other u-boats will be possible but the degree of interaction with them is to be decided.

TheDarkWraith
10-08-09, 08:39 AM
Latest update on the Ubisoft site:

Will ship damage and breakup be improved?

Yes. Now the ships can break in multiple parts, still stay afloat even though, for instance, they lost their bow due to a torpedo hit. The explosions and the SFX will also be enhanced.

That must be some kind of super ship. Any ship I've ever seen that has a breach in it's hull ultimately sinks....the degree of sinking determined by size of breach. Why are we going backwards here? This is a SIM not a shoot'em up game! :nope:
We'll see how much they improve the explosions and the SFX. I'll lay money down saying they will be a minor improvement that will need to be modded (once again).

JU_88
10-08-09, 09:04 AM

There will be AI operated boats. Wolfpack mechanics are under consideration. This is something we always wanted to do but we want to do them properly so there’s a question if we’ll be able to fit them before release.

Will we be able to meet another u-boat, while on the patrol? Say hello, exchange fuel and food supplies, perhaps?

Resupplying from milk-cows will definitely be possible. Meeting other u-boats will be possible but the degree of interaction with them is to be decided.

Oh man, AI subs are in SHV YYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!! :yeah::rock::woot:

What they do with Wolf packs (or not) dosen't worry me too much. the fact that AI subs made it makes me a very happy man! :D

Dan - tell your guys that I want to have their babies! :haha:

mookiemookie
10-08-09, 09:04 AM
That must be some kind of super ship. Any ship I've ever seen that has a breach in it's hull ultimately sinks....the degree of sinking determined by size of breach. Why are we going backwards here? This is a SIM not a shoot'em up game! :nope:

Well it depends. I was just reading in a biography of Werner Henke that on his first patrol he hit the 4700 ton tanker Woensdrecht and she broke in two. The parts stayed afloat and the fore was actually towed into port. I've read other instances of this, but this one came to mind.

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/2148.html

This is something we always wanted to do but we want to do them properly so there’s a question if we’ll be able to fit them before release.

:-? A worrisome statement for those of us pinning our hopes on having wolfpacks. We shall see.

The General
10-08-09, 09:05 AM
@Racerboy

They obviously don't mean 'stay afloat' indefinitely, just longer than the section that sunk.

I would take it as confirmed that there are no Wolfpacks in SH5 1.0. However, there obviously will be in a later Patch or Add-on.

JU_88
10-08-09, 09:21 AM
:-? A worrisome statement for those of us pinning our hopes on having wolfpacks. We shall see.

I disagree, The inclusion of AI subs = a huge step in the right direction (compared to Sh3 & 4)
with this im place the door is significantly more open for modders to create;

Wolfpacks
Enemy Submarines
Destroyer command.

The glass is half full i tell you :DL

cxsinsanity
10-08-09, 09:26 AM
We'll see how much they improve the explosions and the SFX. I'll lay money down saying they will be a minor improvement that will need to be modded (once again).

First once apology for my bad English. :88)
I think the devs mean that a ship can remain swimming after a Torpedo Hit on the right (from our view wrong) place. A wreck but swimming. So you need a catch shot for sinking it completely.

For those understand german:
Ich glaube die Entwickler meine das ein Schiff durchaus schwimmfähig bleiben kann nach einem Torpedotreffer an der Richtigen (aus unserer Sicht Falschen) Stelle.Zwar ein Wrack aber schwimmend. So das man einen Fangschuss braucht um es komplett zu versenken.

Hope you will be able to understand what I meant.

Greetings from germany,
cxsinsanity

mookiemookie
10-08-09, 09:30 AM
I disagree, The inclusion of AI subs = a huge step in the right direction (compared to Sh3 & 4)

Wolfpacks
Enemy Submarines
Destroyer command.

You know more about the intricacies of modding than I do so I will defer to your judgment in saying this is a good thing. :up:

Mittelwaechter
10-08-09, 09:47 AM
"One third ahead!"

The 'partial ship afloat' feature exists in SH3:

http://i.imagehost.org/0189/PartAfloat.jpg

My torpedo even carved a new bow!

SteamWake
10-08-09, 10:18 AM
Will there be any AI operated boats forming a Wolfpack

There will be AI operated boats. Wolfpack mechanics are under consideration. This is something we always wanted to do but we want to do them properly so there’s a question if we’ll be able to fit them before release..

Hrm... thats gonna ruffle a few feathers.

BTW please no more blue font :doh:

fireship4
10-08-09, 10:30 AM
Why aren't people banging drums and launching fireworks from tall cocktails after this news? It's great that AI subs are in and one massive step closer to wolfpacks - which everyone has been banging on about for ages. If in the end they don't manage to get them in we are close enough for modders to get the rest done.

That's unless it's for a later patch/addon, and its made intentionally hard to mod in so we cant add something they plan to make money out of!

Letum
10-08-09, 10:32 AM

There is a great photo somewhere of a destroyer being towed into harbor after losing it's entire bow section.

Other ships suffered massive damage, but stayed afloat.
It's not unusual.

The USS Minneapolis
USS St. Louis
HMS Eskimo
and USS LST 387

All lost large parts of their structure with out sinking.

Not the pic I was looking for, but here is Eskimo.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/HMSEskimoBowTorpedoDamageMay1940.jpg
LST 328
http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/photos/am/uss_lst387.jpg
Minne.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/USS_Minneapolis_after_Tassafaronga.jpg

ed: more floaters:
http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/img/DE/DE-57_Fogg-1244.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/3353156094_63f11affd5.jpg

FIREWALL
10-08-09, 10:37 AM
Oh man, AI subs are in SHV YYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!! :yeah::rock::woot:

What they do with Wolf packs (or not) dosen't worry me too much. the fact that AI subs made it makes me a very happy man! :D

Dan - tell your guys that I want to have their babies! :haha:

Be carefull what you wish for....:haha:

Wolfpacks
Enemy Submarines
Destroyer command.

You are soooo right. :up::up::up:

kapitan_zur_see
10-08-09, 11:08 AM
I cannot say i'm not a bit worried about this kind of news...
I just can't get why people are nearly opening a bottle a champagne whilst hearing something like "kleine fahrt voraus" instead of "eine dritte[...]" and that sort of ultra-minors things! Come on, it can be modded in like an hour of your time :hmmm:

And it doesn't push devs to concentrate more on important things if we keep asking for minors things. And their choices of our questions to answer to reflect this in my opinion... :down:

I would have rather like to see major questions only, those that has a great impact in-game be it for gameplay or atmosphere and are huge work to mod (when it's possible...).

What about the weather engine and how it is depicted?? I'm tired of getting ridiculous storms and the like, that even has no impact on your speed and navigating ability. And that's not even talking about the immersion factor...

What about crew life?? are we to expect some standing by crew never moving around the boat, plagued with just the same 10sec animation looping endlessly, spawing around when you gives order like repair, losing their tongue except for some very arsh "yes sir! aye aye sir! at once sir! :salute:" shouted like we were darth vader on board and no uboat commander, and ultimately never really looking very lively? Why it's a major question is because expectations should be pretty high regarding how dev said it was some of what was really new, and you might get very dissapointed afterward considering the trailer.(What I fear is how time consuming it could be to make this decent enough...)

What about our own damages!!!?? instead on concentrating on how a ship should sink in 31.6 minutes instead of 31.75896, and how equal should be the broken parts! :x It's just minor eye candy or "gameplay" details! However, having a great damage model for our own sub and a strong depictation of it, makes the experience way more entertaining, critical moments are strong and are always a big part in any sub movie, and actually provides for gameplay.

I'd definately rather see those BIG questions be asked... come on guys, ask for questions more on those subjects and don't spread minors one all around that could be chosen to avoid talking on strong points that could really makes it for a new and stronger experience...

In that fashion, wolfpack was a major question, "will i be able to cross an AI driven submarine" is not. Odds are, it will barely happens to you one time in several entire campaigns, and it will just be a sub passing by. 1 min of no gameplay in your entire SH5 experience. But still, it has somewhat be answered and all we have about crew life is a mere "it will be lively" and about sea state "sea will be far (?) better modeled" (but obviously not all that different compared to SH4 for the time being...).

I'm not really sure that this kind of questions will really change my game play experience. Is it really worthy to ask things like, I dunno, for example: "Will seashells be model and will one be able to get stuck on the propeller shaft and if so, will the average 0.00000561 nautical miles performance drop loss will be scientifically calculated granted you take into account sea pressure surrounding you and it's temperature based on your precise coordinates matched with downloadable realtime data? (of course)"

Now I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of always the same thing when a new SH is under development and we have some big deceptions afterward, some that can't be moded because it's hard-coded...
:dead:

Randomizer
10-08-09, 11:09 AM
Other ships suffered massive damage, but stayed afloat. It's not unusual.
Very true

In World War One the Tribal Class destroyer HMS Nubian lost her bow to a torpedo and her sister HMS Zulu lost her stern to a mine. The two halves were joined together and commissioned as HMS Zubian in 1917.

As for SH5, if the glass is really half full than it's twice as big as needed. Like they say on the range, Watch and Shoot.

Sailor Steve
10-08-09, 11:51 AM
There is a great photo somewhere of a destroyer being towed into harbor after losing it's entire bow section.

Other ships suffered massive damage, but stayed afloat.
It's not unusual.

The USS Minneapolis
USS St. Louis
HMS Eskimo
and USS LST 387

All lost large parts of their structure with out sinking.
The one that comes to my mind is HMS Javelin http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/4451.html

She had her bow and stern blown off, and survived to be rebuilt and go back into service. I likewise could find no picture online, but I've seen one in a book and it's impressive.

That said, these are warships and have much better compartmentation thatn merchants. Still, I like the idea of pieces sinking at different rates, or not sinking at all. As long as I get credit for the sinking, I'm happy.

JU_88
10-08-09, 12:01 PM
Why aren't people banging drums and launching fireworks from tall cocktails after this news? It's great that AI subs are in and one massive step closer to wolfpacks - which everyone has been banging on about for ages. If in the end they don't manage to get them in we are close enough for modders to get the rest done.

That's unless it's for a later patch/addon, and its made intentionally hard to mod in so we cant add something they plan to make money out of!

Totally, people are missing the big picture,
Dont they realise that Ai subs mean that NPC Uboat will attack ships?
thats already half way to having wolfpacks.

With so many people responding to every new snippet of info with sceptic remarks like: "This is rather worrying" or "I am deeply troubled by this"
its no wonder there are hardly any updates about the projects status.:doh:

The most 'worrying' thing I keep reading is the amount of negetivity.:nope:

FIREWALL
10-08-09, 12:02 PM
I just can't get why people are nearly opening a bottle a champagne whilst hearing something like "kleine fahrt voraus" instead of "eine dritte[...]" and that sort of ultra-minors things! Come on, it can be modded in like an hour of your time :hmmm:

And it doesn't push devs to concentrate more on important things if we keep asking for minors things. And their choices of our questions to answer to reflect this in my opinion... :down:

I would have rather like to see major questions only, those that has a great impact in-game be it for gameplay or atmosphere and are huge work to mod (when it's possible...).

What about the weather engine and how it is depicted?? I'm tired of getting ridiculous storms and the like, that even has no impact on your speed and navigating ability. And that's not even talking about the immersion factor...

What about crew life?? are we to expect some standing by crew never moving around the boat, plagued with just the same 10sec animation looping endlessly, spawing around when you gives order like repair, losing their tongue except for some very arsh "yes sir! aye aye sir! at once sir! :salute:" shouted like we were darth vader on board and no uboat commander, and ultimately never really looking very lively? Why it's a major question is because expectations should be pretty high regarding how dev said it was some of what was really new, and you might get very dissapointed afterward considering the trailer.(What I fear is how time consuming it could be to make this decent enough...)

What about our own damages!!!?? instead on concentrating on how a ship should sink in 31.6 minutes instead of 31.75896, and how equal should be the broken parts! :x It's just minor eye candy or "gameplay" details! However, having a great damage model for our own sub and a strong depictation of it, makes the experience way more entertaining, critical moments are strong and are always a big part in any sub movie, and actually provides for gameplay.

I'd definately rather see those BIG questions be asked... come on guys, ask for questions more on those subjects and don't spread minors one all around that could be chosen to avoid talking on strong points that could really makes it for a new and stronger experience...

In that fashion, wolfpack was a major question, "will i be able to cross an AI driven submarine" is not. Odds are, it will barely happens to you one time in several entire campaigns, and it will just be a sub passing by. 1 min of no gameplay in your entire SH5 experience. But still, it has somewhat be answered and all we have about crew life is a mere "it will be lively" and about sea state "sea will be far (?) better modeled" (but obviously not all that different compared to SH4 for the time being...).

I'm not really sure that this kind of questions will really change my game play experience. Is it really worthy to ask things like, I dunno, for example: "Will seashells be model and will one be able to get stuck on the propeller shaft and if so, will the average 0.00000561 nautical miles performance drop loss will be scientifically calculated granted you take into account sea pressure surrounding you and it's temperature based on your precise coordinates matched with downloadable realtime data? (of course)"

Now I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of always the same thing when a new SH is under development and we have some big deceptions afterward, some that can't be moded because it's hard-coded...
:dead:

I share your thoughts on this.

Way to many rivet counters. :DL

sergbuto
10-08-09, 12:04 PM

The question is whether the AI subs will get sub-specific AI routines or such subs will be implemented on the level of SH4?

Donkey-Shot
10-08-09, 12:05 PM

This is by no means unrealistic!
Ships for instance have a fore-peak (if this the wrong term please correct). It is specifically designed to take hits and survive. A ship can, and have, stay(ed) afloaIf a compartment shears off at a watertight bulkhead, but the bulkhead itself isn't damaged a ship will stay afloat. Case in point: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.geocities.com/abbertonroh/express1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geocities.com/abbertonroh/wilkin.htm&usg=__0qpgJYviL5wct9_z-fCI7WznImw=&h=303&w=631&sz=7&hl=nl&start=17&sig2=aCRWr2JSWR_YKddCSIX-RQ&um=1&tbnid=IDkEh2cvJ-JlcM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dship%2Bmissing%2Bbow%26ndsp%3D18%26hl %3Dnl%26lr%3D%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_NLNL344%26sa%3DN%26u m%3D1&ei=sBrOStfFIsP3-AaN-pGMAw

Scroll down till you see HMS Exrpess with its -entire bow- blown off and still alive (sort of).

But

FIREWALL
10-08-09, 12:09 PM
The question is whether the AI subs will get sub-specific AI routines or such subs will be implemented on the level of SH4?

Hi Sergbuto :DL Gonna go OT and ask whats new ? Working on any new kool stuff ?

Don't recall you posting lately.

sergbuto
10-08-09, 12:16 PM
Hi Sergbuto :DL Gonna go OT and ask whats new ? Working on any new kool stuff ?

Don't recall you posting lately.
I do post once in a while. As to new stuff - maybe. ;)

JU_88
10-08-09, 12:35 PM

IMHO -the level implemented in SH4 does not qualify as Sub AI

Letum
10-08-09, 01:00 PM
That said, these are warships and have much better compartmentation thatn merchants.

That said, merchants often carried lighter than water cargoes that made
the ship lighter than water, even when totally flooded.
Empty oil barrel, wood and oil where regular cargoes.

Oil tankers have especially good compartments that will fill with water
without causing the slightest problem for the ship.
Then there are many cargo ships that where designed with the risk of
torpedoes in mind, even before the war. The C3 hull is a good example.

Ping Panther
10-08-09, 01:35 PM
My 2 cents here. If it's worth any more than that, feel welcome to keep the change.

If the AI could just be tapped into the communications, FOR REAL, within the SH5 stuff. That would be awesome.

Right now it's all really been a virtual immersion of ... you send a contact report ... reply of "good work, be more aggressive", etc. ... send out a patrol report ... "pat on the back" from BdU ... just patched comments with a slim chance of reporting contacts to a local Luftwaffe airfield, etc.

If you could truly send a contact report ... it then goes to an AI Bdu ... it then tweeks nearest AI subs (or even AI warships!) to dispatch towards your area ... this provides further immersion to consider your own tactics ... hang in there ghosting the contact for other AI's to join your feast, etc.? A REAL radio communications link. That's what it needs.

Ca-ching ... the cash drawer is now closed. :smug:

TheDarkWraith
10-08-09, 02:01 PM
ok, I stand corrected on the ship being able to stay afloat :salute:

Now the AI subs....hmm....that depends on what you can do with them. If we cannot access 'triggers' on them then they will be hard to mod. If they can dive on their own, shoot their own torpedoes, etc. then it will open up many possibilities (for things other than AI controlled subs).

AVGWarhawk
10-08-09, 02:03 PM
It is to my understanding the uboats worked together (packs) and independently. This we know, correct? However, when working together the boats were often miles and miles apart working the convoy's projected course. Evey once and a while several boats were close enough to see the others torpedo work and become part of a closer pack visually. The fleetboats did as well. Can we say the more often than not the close in pack was much less than the spread out pack working miles of ocean in the convoy's projected path? If that is the case, does the AI submarine interaction really need to be heavy? For the most part you do not see your pack mates. Although most want the packs is it really an integral part of YOUR simulation?

TheDarkWraith
10-08-09, 02:08 PM
Just tell me they're (AI subs) not stupid drones who sit on the surface all day and exchange gun fire with the enemy. I want to see them be able to actually dive on their own and fire torpedoes. This would open up a ton of possibilities for other things.

Webster
10-08-09, 02:12 PM
Just tell me they're (AI subs) not stupid drones who sit on the surface all day and exchange gun fire with the enemy. I want to see them be able to actually dive on their own and fire torpedoes. This would open up a ton of possibilities for other things.

agreed, the way carriers charge in to point blank range to fight with battleships in sh4 is just stupid so i hope they fix that part too

AVGWarhawk
10-08-09, 02:14 PM

Well no RB, I would expect them to act accordingly. I'm not sure if you are familiar with IL2. The AI aircraft do react on their own and do react when directed to do so. I would expect this at the very least. Perhaps rudimentary commands. Leave port in a pack. Follow command. Once on station have a take postions command. If under you have no radio contact. Have attack and or evade commands for AI. It does not have to be super micro-managed. Would be cool to surface and radio your packmates only to find U-? does not respond. Probably sunk.

TheDarkWraith
10-08-09, 02:16 PM
oh good idea....reminds me of my wingman in Jane's Longbow Anthology...I could give him commands to do things for me. But I would like for them to also 'override' my command if their captain deems something else more important. Now that would be cool.

AVGWarhawk
10-08-09, 02:22 PM
I really do not see why it could not happen. We have experience it in other games. Simple commands and or go on your own commands. IL2 had it for the wingman.

kapitan_zur_see
10-08-09, 07:50 PM
*sigh* :damn:
no matter... I'll start counting rivets too, as FIREWALL said lol

Freiwillige
10-08-09, 10:34 PM
oh good idea....reminds me of my wingman in Jane's Longbow Anthology...I could give him commands to do things for me. But I would like for them to also 'override' my command if their captain deems something else more important. Now that would be cool.

Only BDU has the authority to direct U-boats at sea. What would be cool is
if U-boats in your area report to BDU you can mark their location on your map and have an idea where they are. Say within 400 miles. Then when a convoy is sighted (By them or you) BDU gives all boats orders to converge and attack.
All boats in the area give an estimated arrival time and when they show up BDU reports that to you as well as when to commence the attack.

The reason Wolfpacks are so important is because when another sub attacks and is driven under it pulls some of the escorts away from that area, leaving a big hole for other U-boats to drive thru. With an entire pack attacking it becomes lambs to the slaughter as it was historically.
Aces of the deep (1994 Sierra games) got this and almost every other detail of the U-boat war right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glc_qGTTMXk&mode=related&search=

JayW.
10-08-09, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Racerboy http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/viewpost.gif (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1185882#post1185882)

In 1909, the White Star liner, Republic, survived without her entire bow for four days after another ship collided with her. She was even towed to port with the forward part missing.

tomoose
10-09-09, 10:20 AM
I'd be quite happy if the devs simply took SHIII/GWX to the next level. I don't need to 'see' AI subs. I would like to know that there are AI subs out there as part of our assigned wolfpack but I certainly don't need to 'see' them.
There is so much right with SHIII/GWX (and legacy stuff from stock that is frustrating) but they certainly don't need to re-invent the wheel here. Just improve SHIII/GWX!!!:salute:

mikaelanderlund
10-09-09, 12:34 PM
I do post once in a while. As to new stuff - maybe. ;)

Hi sergbuto,

long time no see. I hope we soon will see serg's SH5 pages. I'm still using your wolfpack mod and I love it:yeah:

Mikael

sergbuto
10-09-09, 01:25 PM
Hi sergbuto,

long time no see. I hope we soon will see serg's SH5 pages. I'm still using your wolfpack mod and I love it:yeah:

Mikael
Thanks, Mikael. It is always good to learn that someone appreciates your ideas and work.

I hope that SH5 out of the box will need less modding.

Hitman
10-09-09, 02:03 PM
It is to my understanding the uboats worked together (packs) and independently. This we know, correct? However, when working together the boats were often miles and miles apart working the convoy's projected course. Evey once and a while several boats were close enough to see the others torpedo work and become part of a closer pack visually. The fleetboats did as well. Can we say the more often than not the close in pack was much less than the spread out pack working miles of ocean in the convoy's projected path? If that is the case, does the AI submarine interaction really need to be heavy? For the most part you do not see your pack mates. Although most want the packs is it really an integral part of YOUR simulation?

Yes, more or less so from what I have readed, but it also varied during the war. In the first wolfpacks in 1940, a few U-Boats converged into a convoy and got to even see each other (F.e. Prien and Schepke) during or after the attack. Convoys were badly escorted and the wolfpack broke havoc in it easily. However, BdU never directed them as you would do in a god-eye strategy game, i.e. BdU didn't choose f.e. which side of the convoy each u-boat would attack and such. What it basically did was centralize the reports and assign a shadower to follow the convoys, and decide which uboats were close enough to make the attack worth it. He also decided sometimes when the attack should begin, as coordination on attacking from several sides at the same time is guaranteed to make the escort have more trouble. The wolfpack method of attack offered several advantages to the uboats, first of all the escorts had to leave their position sometimes and open a gap which another uboat could benefit from, and second the escorts were forced to return to the convoy soon after chasing down an uboat to keep the protection. This has saved more than one uboat from destruction, as I have noted reading Suhren's memories recently. Later in the war, the huter killers managed to kill many more uboats not because they had much improved technic (sonar) but also because they were able to stay indefinately with the uboat, until it run out of battery or air.

From 1942 onwards the larger escort size, occasional air cover, radar and higher number of available uboats made the wolfpacks be more spreaded and more similar to individual attacks. Since the "safe" area around a convoy was now bigger, the uboats couldn't lurk so closeby and hence the attacks were more spaced than in 1940, as each wolf had to work hard to enter the shooting gap.

msalama
10-09-09, 03:24 PM
...the degree of sinking determined by size of breach.Ahhh... not sure whether it indeed is _that _ clear-cut, actually. I'm sure I've read some combat reports (either Kriegsmarine or USN, not sure just now) describing attacks with the ship splitting in two, but (either) one of the parts still remaining afloat...

I stand to be corrected though :D

Tomi_099
10-13-09, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Mikael. It is always good to learn that someone appreciates your ideas and work.

I hope that SH5 out of the box will need less modding.

----------------------

"Es gibt schweigsame Menschen, die interessanter sind als die besten Redner."

Ich hoffe ein mahl mit Sarbuto arbeiten zu dürfen!!

I hope to work with once with Sarbuto!:yeah:

JU_88
10-13-09, 11:14 AM
I hope there is an AI controlled Allied Sub or two in SHV.

So long as the Devs dont script submerged ones lurking in the Bay of Biscay- that would just be evil.:D
imagine returning to base from your prize 100k patrol...when - BOOM BOOM BABY!! :haha:

I hope that the watch crew can spot perricopes and Torpedo wakes - then it will be cool. You have seconds to manover your boat out of harms way (when faced with eels)....
IMHO, that would provide a few minutes of pant sh 1tting awesomeness :rock:
And a very nice change from tiresome ol merchents and DDs :yawn:

And If the prospect hostile AI subs scares you... hear this!

BDU : BE MORE HARDCORE! :arrgh!:

piri_reis
10-14-09, 05:38 AM
I hope that the watch crew can spot perricopes and Torpedo wakes - then it will be cool. You have seconds to manover your boat out of harms way (when faced with eels)....

THAT is one awesome idea :up::up:
Maybe also have some random periscope sightings that turn out to be false alarms, to add some suspense if you are being tracked or not..

Seeadler
10-14-09, 07:20 AM
Updata 14.10.2009

Any chance to meet a partially damaged ship (imitating activity of another u-boats)?

Yes. This is one of the enhancements of the damage system and the dynamic campaign.

Will there be a Macintosh version of Silent Hunter?

There is no Mac version planned at the moment.

Will the navigation map handle the earth as a cylinder like in SH3?

Yes. Although not geographically correct, the cylindrical view is the easiest to understand and use of all cartographical projections, especially if we consider the possibility that the player could roam all the seas as he / she wishes. We investigated other projections as well, using a globe or specific maps of several locations (like they did in reality) but the drawbacks in terms of usability, freedom and understanding were too big to consider them further. Also, there is a number of technical problems associated to other geographical projections, which we chose not to tackle for now.

Will SH5 allow the flexibility for a player to switch between commanding a surface warship and a submarine or even the ability to switch sides?

For the release of SH5 the player will only be able to command a German u-boat.

taken from here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1121062387/m/8591082387

Kaleun_Endrass
10-14-09, 07:49 AM
Too bad: Will the navigation map handle the earth as a cylinder like in SH3?
Yes.At least this sounds great: The harbor keeps the first person perspective, but some of the management jobs are better done through 2D interfaces.

mookiemookie
10-14-09, 09:54 AM
The nav map thing sucks, but it's not a game breaker. Ah well.

Snestorm
10-14-09, 07:18 PM
The nav map thing sucks, but it's not a game breaker. Ah well.

Ja, we can survive that.

Rip
10-14-09, 07:33 PM
Bites ultra real navigation in the ass though. I hope this gets realized someday. Then just getting to your patrol and back without running aground or something can be a prize of it's own. Plus you may learn some stuff that would come in handy if you are ever shipwrecked on Gilligan's Island.:D

cappy70
10-18-09, 10:34 PM
Well,,during a time when I was doing quality/patch testing for a space sim that made it fine in sales, this question came up about the realism in the spacship/mothership. Somebody asked about how to have people walking around and doing their daily routines on the ship and walk around.
Of course this was some CPU generation back, but it was a balance of what would happen when all these 500 little guys started to move around inside the ship:D and do their things and of course the CPU is working on this, overtime,:timeout: and smooth this out with all the rest going on the screen.
I think the answer from one of the programmers showed this: ",,the only thing I have to do is a game within the game".As I said this was some CPU generation back, but I think that "moving" realism, i.e. smart interaction a la NPC action that one could see now and then in Oblivion is possible, like when I did a break in Oblivion and the man missed hitting me and hit the woman instead and she killed the man while I was watching was impressive sponatanious AI for a game, but with a price down the road....that you need a real beefy system for example.
What I'm referring to here is the level of AI in Wolfpacks and interaction and belive it, I want Wolfpacks too..no doubt.
...and I do agree with Sailor Steve:salute:

TDK1044
10-21-09, 09:49 AM

Will SH5 allow the ability to command a sub fleet or squadron from a naval base thereby determining duty rosters, assign commanders their boats, and establish objectives?

Our focus is to create the perfect German submarine experience, with the highest detail current technology allows in real time. Silent Hunter is not about surface ships, is not about strategic decisions. What truly means Silent Hunter is life of a captain, his boat, his crew, a desperate battle for survival they themselves may not understand or agree with, sinking ships, live a drama on the high seas.

Will Silent Hunter V have added the Dynamic Shadows feature?

SH5 already has dynamic shadows – check out the screenshots, for example, here are some that we made for SubSim! It’s pretty cool and it brings ships and other units to life, integrating them in the visual environment of the game.

Will more elements limit the max duration of your patrol in SH5? (ex: food, water, medical supplies, crew morale, crew wanting to return home after a long period etc)

In SH5, crew morale is the deciding factor; the longer you stay on patrol, the more affected the crew is, and the less you are able to demand that “extra mile” from them. The morale system takes into account many modifiers that represent factors such as the “longing for home”, exhaustion, lack of food, while we chose not to bother the player, the U-Boat captain, with mundane tasks such as managing the food inventory.

Is it going to be possible to manage our own realism (like in sh3), or we will stuck again on easy, medium, hard and realistic mod (like in sh4)?

Actually, SH4 allowed full customization of the realism settings, but the options were hidden in the captain’s office. Click on the radio on the left side of the room. For SH5, we will of course let the player tune the realism and difficulty options to whatever combination he sees fit.

mookiemookie
10-21-09, 09:51 AM
Who's picking these questions? Sheeshk... :06:

urfisch
10-21-09, 10:10 AM
signed. dumb ones...picked out. the information progress grows to a kind of stupid, uninspirative Q&A game.

:(

sad. but i think the stage of the game only allows such useless information.

mookiemookie
10-21-09, 10:14 AM
signed. dumb ones...picked out. the information progress grows to a kind of stupid, uninspirative Q&A game.

:(

sad. but i think the stage of the game only allows such useless information.

Possibly, but why ask questions that we already know the answers to, like the dynamic shadows question? And the difficulty settings question is just completely stupid because it highlights a fundamental misunderstanding of how the realism options worked in the previous games.

Turbografx
10-21-09, 09:17 PM
I'd never thought of the food thing before. Now that they mention it though I kind of wish it was lol! Would something like that be possible to mod in?

THE_MASK
10-21-09, 09:38 PM
I'd never thought of the food thing before. Now that they mention it though I kind of wish it was lol! Would something like that be possible to mod in? Fuel does the same thing as food . If you run out then you are a bad bad captain .

Snestorm
10-22-09, 01:10 AM
The moral/morale seems like a positive step, as long as giving orders does not lower it.
One can surface poorly with one order. Doing it as safely as possible takes more time and orders. I hope the safer thinking CO isn't penalized.

That the realism settings will be fully customizable is also a good news, IMO.

The poor devs had to draw their questions from what impresses me as a cartoon site.
As long as they read what's on THIS site, we should be in good shape.

Uber Gruber
10-22-09, 07:46 AM
To summate then, SH5 will be indentical to SH3 but with a tweaked SH4 engine. No wolfpacks, no real navigation, just more of the same old rope only with shiney bits.

:nope:

Myxale
10-22-09, 07:51 AM
To summate then, SH5 will be indentical to SH3 but with a tweaked SH4 engine. No wolfpacks, no real navigation, just more of the same old rope only with shiney bits.

Let's hope not. :stare:

kemeri
10-22-09, 10:39 AM

Not exactly, at least AI U-boats have been confirmed :cool:

AVGWarhawk
10-22-09, 10:41 AM

I think this assumption is premature at best. :03:

JU_88
10-22-09, 10:51 AM

@ Uber Gruber, here is a song you might enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_YbvJp-t3Q

:D

Uber Gruber
10-23-09, 08:12 AM
@JU 88

Great song, thanks! Didn't know we had a resident DJ.

JU88 in the house!:shucks:

JU_88
10-23-09, 01:03 PM
@JU 88

Just keep those pesky Spitfires away from me! :haha:

Jimbuna
10-23-09, 03:20 PM
@JU 88

We haven't....this is usually his favourite :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SQoW26hYQ

JU_88
10-23-09, 05:36 PM
We haven't....this is usually his favourite :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SQoW26hYQ

OI! :o cheeky bastid!! :har:

Jimbuna
10-24-09, 11:08 AM
OI! :o cheeky bastid!! :har:

http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/greywolftail.gif

TDK1044
10-28-09, 07:44 AM

As a side-note, you can rest assured that all your suggestions are being compiled and sent to the devteam for review.And now, the answers:

Is it possible to develop the feature to control the Port and Starboard engines of the U-Boat independently?

We’re considering this feature. It should go much deeper than just individual control by allowing the player to use the electric motors while on the surface – for faster response to commands.

Can we call in a refuelling sub or to reload the torps in the middle of Atlantic? and perhaps we can also see the crew in actions to refuel and reload the torps?

Whether the crew will be visibly performing these actions is still to be decided, but you’ll definitely be able to resupply at sea. This was an important factor in the real U-Boat campaign and it will be the same in our game too.

Will SH5 have both a gramophone (like SH3) for playing "records" and a working radio (like SH4) that can be tuned in to various stations for broadcasts of music, shows, and news?

Both these features will make an appearance. The amount of included materials for them will be limited though because of copyright issues and respect for other people’s works. We expect modders will come out with content packs for these features, as they did for SH4.

Just like in SH3 can you set the audible voice language to be german while the text be english? I loved that immersive feeling.

We agree it was very immersive and plan to provide same option for SH5 too.

Venatore
10-28-09, 07:57 AM
Nice sitrep.

totodog
10-28-09, 03:24 PM
1.Ooh, I'd love to have more control over the engines.

2.Resupplying with milk-cows sound cool. It definitely was historical.

3.I can understand the copy-right issues.

4.Good to know.

AVGWarhawk
10-28-09, 03:32 PM
Very nice addition! :up:

PL_Andrev
10-28-09, 03:33 PM
It means if you sell product with song (and earn money) you should pay for song's author. Fans can do that because mod are for free...
But here are good news - game will be modable, the question: how deep....

Jimbuna
10-28-09, 04:39 PM
Pretty positive responses http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Myxale
10-28-09, 04:48 PM
Pretty positive responses http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

I agree! One of the better question IMO!

Glad to see them answered!

mookiemookie
10-28-09, 05:03 PM
Just like in SH3 can you set the audible voice language to be german while the text be english? I loved that immersive feeling.

We agree it was very immersive and plan to provide same option for SH5 too.

Hopefully they've sacked the guy with the Mickey Mouse voice.

mookiemookie
10-30-09, 08:16 AM
Why do you think they should sack somebody as a voice ? With a dedicated sound software you can make any voice sound as you like..

I'm referring of course to the voices in SH3 where they did exactly as you described. They took the original voice set, and then changed the pitch of it up and down to make one voice into three....of course this had the effect of making the high pitched sounding voice like Mickey Mouse and the low pitch voice sounding like the Terminator.

I would hope they get a couple voice actors to read the lines instead of doing it this way, but I guess we'll take what we get won't we? :03:

Ritmeister
10-30-09, 12:41 PM
I would like them to comment on both the graphical enhancements and the mechanical aspects of either gunfire or torpedos on the targets.
This is what this sim is all about, right?

The stock torpedo damage effects in many ways, stock SH3 in particular were always regimented and controlled for the most part by hit points.( i.e. destroyer - ne hit, small freighter - one hit, lrage mercahnct - 2 hits, oil tanker one, maybe 2 hits or roll the dice to see if it goes up in a gigantic fireball) The mods made by the community in both SH3 and SH4 went miles to increase my feeling of immersion. Target speed, the fact the ship was empty or full, the critical areas with oil or fuel tanks, sometimes dangerous cargo; even an atack in heavy seas with water pouring in hatches and so forth. I think the basic terms was ntural sinking mecahnics.

I think ( not sure) that it was hard coded in both SH3 and 4 that ships just kept plowing ahead regardless of damage. How many dozen times have you seen a destroyer sink itself by plowing ahead relentlessly at 25 knots tils it burie the bow, almost the same with frieghters.

Its so exciting to see what at first appears a non critical hit fosters other damage, fires, explosions occuring sometime even an extended period after the attack. I think a lot of this was accomplished by the modders and an enhanced version of same be included in SH5.

I did read the comments about bows breaking off and other area and one or more components reaming afloat. This is realistic in limited cases I'm sure but shouldn't be an every other time deal. Otherwise it does tend toward arcade feel. Which is what we all DONT want.

Even with all the terric artwork on the SH4 ships or Modded SH3 ships there was alwway that letdown when a ship DID break in half, where for all the realism it looked like the ship had been cut in half by a bandsaw.

I hope this type of appearance could/should be enhanced as well as other damage effects on the structure.

ANything regarding damage or sinking that makes you feel like you've really attacked and done damage is an immersion buiklder. I'd have to say few or none of us want anything to do with arcade type performance.

TDK1044
11-04-09, 02:14 PM

Can you tell me please if the damage interface of SH5 will be at least with the level of accuracy reached in SH3?

Even if the mechanics behind the damage management are at the same complexity, the interface is lighter and more focused on most important aspects. None the less, you won’t lose any information or degree of immersion compared to the old games. Additionally, we are implementing some more advanced flooding control mechanics which would be a blast for the player.

During the storm in the Atlantic, will the stormy features/elements like rain drops, lightning, layers of grey clouds be more realistic than the previous releases of SH?

The weather system is enhanced compared to the previous titles; it is now more dynamic and realistic. Expect to see weather conditions correct to the climate zone in which you travel, for the respective season and moment of day. You will face raging blizzards in the North Sea and enjoy the nice weather in the Med, and this will change the way you fight.

Is there any game adjustment in any game stages for the environment? For example:
- during the storm, how much the player wants for the sea to swell or how dark the player wants for the clouds?; or how often the lightning to show up?

- Another setup whether we want to see the sunshine, or semi sunshine, or just murky grey clouds?
- What other features that a player can set similar to the above mentioned. scenario
We have no plan to develop such a feature. The environment is meant to mimic reality and real weather, and the player is not supposed to alter it to his preference. However, we expect the new work we have done in this area to make the weather both nicer “to be in” and more varied overall.

I believe that the UBoat can go to the Southern Hemisphere or at least to the Pacific region ... no? Knowing from the war history with the involvement of UBoat in the Pacific (like SH4 UBoat Missions), will there be a feature (or perhaps a surprise??) that we will encounter Japanese Navy/convoys who ask for UBoat support?

While the player is still free to go as he pleases, there is no plan to include the “Monsoon boats” in the release version of SH5.

Sailor Steve
11-04-09, 02:36 PM
The weather system is enhanced compared to the previous titles; it is now more dynamic and realistic. Expect to see weather conditions correct to the climate zone in which you travel, for the respective season and moment of day. You will face raging blizzards in the North Sea and enjoy the nice weather in the Med, and this will change the way you fight.

...However, we expect the new work we have done in this area to make the weather both nicer “to be in” and more varied overall.
That is certainly some welcome news.

Rothwell white
11-04-09, 03:07 PM
As anyone any idea when SH5 could be released :06:

Seeadler
11-04-09, 03:15 PM
As anyone any idea when SH5 could be released :06:
hopefully when it's done:smug:

Rothwell white
11-04-09, 03:20 PM
hopefully when it's done:smug:
:har: yep thats true but i wondered when :stare:

THE_MASK
11-04-09, 03:37 PM
Blue and white writing . If you stare at it the blue sinks in and the white stands out .
More advanced flooding .
More dynamic weather .
Great .

Faamecanic
11-04-09, 04:27 PM
Totally, people are missing the big picture,
Dont they realise that Ai subs mean that NPC Uboat will attack ships?
thats already half way to having wolfpacks.

I think your reading into the Devs saying "there will be AI subs in the game". There were AI subs in GWX... they just drove all around doing nothing.

We are hearing the same thing about wolfpacks that we did prior to SH3 being released.

Not trying to be negative, but I also have been let down by high expectations (as the Devs have too Im sure) that were unfunded/underfunded by Ubi. Ubi has had 3 chances so far to "make it right" (SH3, SH4, SH4 Uboat) and has overpromised and under achieved on each one. I will buy SH5.... as I have all the others. Heck the SH4 Uboat was nothing more than a customer paid for patch....and UBI STILL screwed it up.

But Im very worried that Ubi is "dumming" down the Sim so the twitch shooter kiddies can have fun. If we hear the "console" word, or "cross platform"...then we know we are doomed.

Alex
11-04-09, 05:03 PM
But Im very worried that Ubi is "dumming" down the Sim so the twitch shooter kiddies can have fun.

I couldn't agree with you more.

If we hear the "console" word, or "cross platform"...then we know we are doomed.

A legitimate fear, since these consoles got their own keyboard. :hmmm:

JU_88
11-04-09, 06:28 PM
I think your reading into the Devs saying "there will be AI subs in the game". There were AI subs in GWX... they just drove all around doing nothing.

Nope I don't think I am. I have good reason to belive that the AI subs will NOT be as you described above.

As for 'dumbing down'

The devs will set out to do what all devs set out to do
-Which is: do everything then can to please the hardcore fans - while drawing in new comers & casual gamers who may have a passing intreast in subs
Ubisoft isn't a charity - and I guess even games developers need to eat sometimes.

Whether the player decides to play a shooter or a sim will be determined though realism settings I am sure.
In regards to SHV being ported to 360 or PS3, that is.... very very unlikey. If MS dont even want to port their own sims to their own console, why would they want to port Ubi's?
I just cannot see a submarine game being marketed on a console, no matter how 'dumbed down'
The 'Shooter kiddies' would run a mile.

You guys worry far too much.

Faamecanic
11-04-09, 07:31 PM
I just hope your right JU.... (IRT AI subs and such). :up:

The reason we all worry is from being somewhat burned in the past with rushed releases and things that are half done.

Again dont get me wrong. The Devs would love to put everything we are talking/dreaming of into a sub sim...but that would require a budget probably 100X greater than what they have to work with.

My main gripe is whatever they come up with...for heavens sake...PLEASE dont release it buggy as all get out. I mean OBVIOUS stuff like even after 1.5 came out... the helmsman still says "Rudder Rudder" when you command rudder amidships.

Seeadler
11-04-09, 07:50 PM
A legitimate fear, since these consoles got their own keyboard. :hmmm:

Oh yes, we use at home a Logitech Cordless MediaBoard keyboard for PC and the PS3 :up:

Webster
11-04-09, 08:24 PM
I just hope your right JU.... (IRT AI subs and such). :up:

The reason we all worry is from being somewhat burned in the past with rushed releases and things that are half done.

Again dont get me wrong. The Devs would love to put everything we are talking/dreaming of into a sub sim...but that would require a budget probably 100X greater than what they have to work with.

My main gripe is whatever they come up with...for heavens sake...PLEASE dont release it buggy as all get out. I mean OBVIOUS stuff like even after 1.5 came out... the helmsman still says "Rudder Rudder" when you command rudder amidships.

i think where they messed up in the past was in not allowing time to get full reports on bugs from the players so all the bugs can be fixed.

how many times have we tried to offer imput for the next patch only to hear them say "no more patches are in the works" and then poof heres a patch for you, but we see they failed to address the issues we were trying to tell them about because they didnt want to hear it. its like they purposely chose not to hear about the bugs we knew about and only fixed the bugs they were aware of or wanted to fix.

i know some bugs might have cost too much to fix so they may have ignored them for that reason but i also think some were just forgotten or not known when the next patch was put together.

Steeltrap
11-04-09, 10:00 PM
With all this discussion of damage modelling, I hope they don't get conned by 'exception memory' syndrome.

What I mean is that people tend to remember exceptions. Why? Because they are exceptional! For example, people remember the destruction of HMS Hood in a catastrophic explosion following a short exchange of fire with KMS Bismarck and KMS Prinz Eugen. Is it right to conclude battleships (or battlecruisers if you want to be picky) are prone to blow up with little provocation (and please save yourself the trouble of discussing battlecruiser destruction in Jutland etc, as it's off topic - even though it's an interesting topic)?

What's needed is an accurate analysis of available data.

As an example, the majority of light cruisers sunk by torpedo in WWII took only 1 hit to sink. Same with escort vessels, they almost always sank after a single torpedo.

With merchantmen, there was variation based on the size and class of vessel (tanker v general cargo v bulk carrier), its age etc. Tankers benefit from their construction but suffer from the problem of the nature of their cargo. If you look through the data on ships sunk by U-boats in the Atlantic, you'll find they were considerably smaller on average than that depicted in SHIII, took 1 torpedo to sink, and often did so in fewer than 15 minutes.

Yes it is good to allow for 'statistical outliers' (look up the Ohio in Operation Pedestal for a good example!), and variations based on some of the factors mentioned in this thread and my post, but NOT at the expense of the overriding fact that MOST vessels sank within fairly predictable times based on farily predictable damage.

What I wouldn't want to see is an ocean full of bows and sterns bobbing around like oversized corks waiting for a few deck gun shells to dispose of them.

Cheers all

hellfish6
11-04-09, 11:25 PM

Agree 100%.

stabiz
11-05-09, 09:40 AM
I think its strange that we have not seen more preview stuff, the game is supposedly 5 months away but its almost a secret.

mookiemookie
11-05-09, 09:42 AM
I think its strange that we have not seen more preview stuff, the game is supposedly 5 months away but its almost a secret.
How much preview stuff did we see at this point in the development cycle with SH3/SH4?

Faamecanic
11-05-09, 11:36 AM
i think where they messed up in the past was in not allowing time to get full reports on bugs from the players so all the bugs can be fixed.

how many times have we tried to offer imput for the next patch only to hear them say "no more patches are in the works" and then poof heres a patch for you, but we see they failed to address the issues we were trying to tell them about because they didnt want to hear it. its like they purposely chose not to hear about the bugs we knew about and only fixed the bugs they were aware of or wanted to fix.

i know some bugs might have cost too much to fix so they may have ignored them for that reason but i also think some were just forgotten or not known when the next patch was put together.

Agree 100%....

What is so sad is there is a WEALTH of VERY talented modders here like yourself, ducimus, Kpt Lehman..and many others :yep:, that KNOW how to beta test, repot bugs in a CONSTRUCTIVE way, and are used to keeping "a lid" (keep a secret) on stuff until a release (and that is all without an official Nondisclosure Agreement).

Why wont UBI tap them? The Devs KNOW the work you all have done..and KNOW most importantly that you modders WANT this sim to be a resounding success.

It just doesnt make sense they (Ubi) wont tap you guys for your dedication, love of the sim, knowledge, and testing ability. I think if they did that we would not only get a game with litterally few bugs (except for the ones that would cost way to much to fix for little benefit), but it would also foster GREAT loyalty (more than there already is) between the fans and UBI. :rock: :salute: :yeah:

Webster
11-05-09, 12:23 PM
Agree 100%....

What is so sad is there is a WEALTH of VERY talented modders here like yourself, ducimus, Kpt Lehman..and many others :yep:, that KNOW how to beta test, repot bugs in a CONSTRUCTIVE way, and are used to keeping "a lid" (keep a secret) on stuff until a release (and that is all without an official Nondisclosure Agreement).

Why wont UBI tap them? The Devs KNOW the work you all have done..and KNOW most importantly that you modders WANT this sim to be a resounding success.

It just doesnt make sense they (Ubi) wont tap you guys for your dedication, love of the sim, knowledge, and testing ability. I think if they did that we would not only get a game with litterally few bugs (except for the ones that would cost way to much to fix for little benefit), but it would also foster GREAT loyalty (more than there already is) between the fans and UBI. :rock: :salute: :yeah:

first after rereading my last post i think i had better clarify i was talking about Ubi there and not the devs who i feel share our frustration over this.

now in response to your comments:

its mostly legal junk stuff so if we suggest or give them fixes there could be a bad apple somewhere saying "it was my fix and i want to get paid for it"

its a sad fact of life but there are people who live just for the opportunity to screw someone over to get ahead in life.

i dont see any reason we shouldnt be allowed to help them by doing a "bug report" for them as long as we stay out of the "how to fix it" side to avoid legal stuff with liabilities and things.

the way i feel about it is if i stumbled upon a way to fix something then they could have it without giving me any credit or mention because i want the best game it could be for everyone and knowing i helped is all the reward i ever would need.

if for some legal reason i had to be an employee then they could hire me for $0.01 per year salary and i'll sign a non disclosure form and give away all rghts to anything i do.

Jimbuna
11-05-09, 02:58 PM
Agree 100%....

Some excellent points but sadly, not for me to answer http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

JU_88
11-05-09, 03:11 PM
Agree 100%....

Simple answer is: Legal can of worms.

Turbografx
11-05-09, 04:52 PM
Even if the mechanics behind the damage management are at the same complexity, the interface is lighter and more focused on most important aspects. None the less, you won’t lose any information or degree of immersion compared to the old games.

Streamlining is very rarely a good thing for the "hardcore" or realism oriented captain.

Philipp_Thomsen
11-05-09, 06:29 PM
Wouldn't make much difference, actually.

Doenst matter how good or bad will the finished product be like, we'll always make it better.

Even if they release it incredibly awesome and with no bugs at all, we would still mod it and make it better, make it new, add stuff.

This is the reason why computer games are at least twice as fun as console games... MODDING!

Jimbuna
11-05-09, 06:39 PM
There will always be an element of the community that will mod, but hopefully it will be a seamless exercise and not at the cost/expense of breaking other mods/improvements that have already been achieved.

If SH5 is to last as long as SH3, I sincerely hope everyone who is intent on improving said game, pulls in the same direction and takes note of what has been added prior to said future mod.

That way, SH5 will have a chance of surpassing that which went before it http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Philipp_Thomsen
11-05-09, 06:45 PM
There will always be an element of the community that will mod, but hopefully it will be a seamless exercise and not at the cost/expense of breaking other mods/improvements that have already been achieved.

If SH5 is to last as long as SH3, I sincerely hope everyone who is intent on improving said game, pulls in the same direction and takes note of what has been added prior to said future mod.

That way, SH5 will have a chance of surpassing that which went before it http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Agreed 100%, Jim.

SH3 modding sometimes was a headache cos we had to constantly be worried about compatibility with a thousand other mods.

I really hope that this time, we can all pull in the same direction, instead of each one pulling in a different direction.

And also more cooperation between whoever is doing something.

I mean, every modder here works for the community, works for free. So why throw cold water on eachother, like happened on SH3? Modding is for the best gaming experience of everybody. Just cos someone thinks A is better then B, is it reason to arguing and throwing wrenches? I think difference in opinions is a very important thing when it comes to modding, cos if everybody had the same tastes, it would be hell.

After all we have been thru in SH3, I seriously think we'll have a ball in SH5, both playing and modding.

This forum will be as alive as never before.

And I do hope to see Rubini back... :arrgh!:

JScones
11-06-09, 03:21 AM

Does this mean you've seen the error of your ways jimbuna, lol? Or are your comments just "touchy feely" until the first SH5 supermod is announced? Seriously, you must appreciate my scepticism at what does at face value seem a tad hypocritical. ;)

Having said that, I agree that SH5 will certainly prosper if there is community involvement and sharing. You know, the sum of the parts and so on. SH3 started this way, but degenerated into a bloody mess quite quickly.

SH5 will not prosper as well as it could if little groups go away and congregate silently in the corner refusing to share findings or techniques. It then becomes more "about the mod" and less "about the game".

There will be fights, of course - it's basic human instinct within communities of any size (online or not), for at some point alpha males will bubble to the surface and just two alpha males <> harmony. But it's up to the egos of those involved to determine whether SH5 will be the best it can be, or whether it will be the best they can make it. Unfortunately the two don't quite line up and inevitably the community as a whole suffers through the egos of a few. However, I do feel that some competition is healthy and facilitates improvements that are not possible with complacency...if only the community sees it for that and not as personal attacks (I remember a "new kid on the block" in SH3 that caused much angst for the "old guard". ;)).

Certainly I have no interest in repeating the cr@p that occurred in SH3 (where I was a willing participant I hasten to add), so for me it will be interesting how it all pans out...

Myxale
11-06-09, 07:33 AM
Great post Scones!

Uber Gruber
11-06-09, 08:38 AM
@JScones

Couldn't have put it better myself :salute:

HEMISENT
11-06-09, 08:56 AM
Way to go Jaesen! :up:

JU_88
11-06-09, 09:05 AM
Does this mean you've seen the error of your ways jimbuna, lol? Or are your comments just "touchy feely" until the first SH5 supermod is announced? Seriously, you must appreciate my scepticism at what does at face value seem a tad hypocritical. ;)

Having said that, I agree that SH5 will certainly prosper if there is community involvement and sharing. You know, the sum of the parts and so on. SH3 started this way, but degenerated into a bloody mess quite quickly.

SH5 will not prosper as well as it could if little groups go away and congregate silently in the corner refusing to share findings or techniques. It then becomes more "about the mod" and less "about the game".

There will be fights, of course - it's basic human instinct within communities of any size (online or not), for at some point alpha males will bubble to the surface and just two alpha males <> harmony. But it's up to the egos of those involved to determine whether SH5 will be the best it can be, or whether it will be the best they can make it. Unfortunately the two don't quite line up and inevitably the community as a whole suffers through the egos of a few. However, I do feel that some competition is healthy and facilitates improvements that are not possible with complacency...if only the community sees it for that and not as personal attacks (I remember a "new kid on the block" in SH3 that caused much angst for the "old guard". ;)).

Certainly I have no interest in repeating the cr@p that occurred in SH3 (where I was a willing participant I hasten to add), so for me it will be interesting how it all pans out...

I suggest that you look that the way your post started - then look at the way it ended.
You start by bashing/ smirking at Jim over the GWX days, then say you have no intreast in repeating the crap that occured in Sh3 back in the day.

That in itself seems a tad hypocritical if you ask me.....

Like you AND Jim I agree a more peaceful / co-operative SHV community would be great....
Now if only we can let go of the past.. it might actually be possible.

kptn_kaiserhof
11-06-09, 09:06 AM
i see what you mean

Webster
11-06-09, 11:43 AM
Like you AND Jim I agree a more peaceful / co-operative SHV community would be great....

:woot::woot::woot:

we can remember the past without having to keep the bad feelings about it and if we cant let go of the bad feelings, then we can at least leave those in the past and base our actions and words on whats going on in the here and now so hopefully we can avoid repeating the same things that caused issues before.

many recent members here have no clue what went on in the sh3 forums but it wasnt a good thing and many people left the forums over it if for no other reason then just not wanting to be near all the drama.

i would like to think we are all in a better frame of mind going forward and hope we no longer feel the need to get too wrapped up in anything.

to any new members who are wondering what we are talking about i will just say it was a long time of much drama and frustration for all involved (and there were many who got involved in it) but in the end we found a way and moved on.

Philipp_Thomsen
11-06-09, 11:51 AM
Im totally changing my modding behavior for SH5.

I'll be as helpful as I can, give all info about it, both in thread and anexed txt file, ask permission to use other people's files (something I have to say I never did), and mainly, being more kind to the whole community.

Reading some past comments of mine, I found myself quite rude on some occasions.

Nowdays I don't see reasons to do so, since this is a cooperative community.

The best way to get there is together. Nobody knows everything, nobody have all the skills.

Jimbuna
11-06-09, 12:58 PM

I stand by the contents of my post Jaesen and whilst applauding your no-nonsense/straightforward writing style I must admit to feeling a small pang of disappointment that you should doubt me.

I did, after all, post willingly and without provocation.

The case for hypocracy will only be proven or otherwise after the release of SH5.

I see you've copied the post for posterity :DL

Tell me.....do you fancy a small wager?

The timescale post release?

An amount and a mutually acceptable charity?

We all can and should learn from the past because none of us is as clever as all of us.....the community deserve nothing better.

If we ever meet at a future SS event (and I sincerely hope we do) I hope your not as tight as TJ because the beers will have to be on you.....I'm a pensioner now you see :DL

Regards
Jim

I suggest that you look that the way your post started - then look at the way it ended.
You start by bashing/ smirking at Jim over the GWX days, then say you have no intreast in repeating the crap that occured in Sh3 back in the day.

That in itself seems a tad hypocritical if you ask me.....

Couldn't agree more....onward and upward http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Sevrin
11-06-09, 01:07 PM
I'm new here so I have no clue what went on with Silent Hunter III and the mod community, although having browsed the forums quite a bit over the last few months, I've already seen some 'sniping' goin on, granted it's been very subtle. But even I've noticed it.

I hope to get involved with the modding, research, graphics, etc. in the next game, and wish for things to proceed smoothly. I want to help make the game all it can be.

As a new guy I know for sure, if modders were to break off into 'territories' etc., and start the "mine's better" stuff, I wouldn't stick around.

I'm too old for that silliness. It's just a computer game. :salute:

JU_88
11-06-09, 01:58 PM
I'm new here so I have no clue what went on with Silent Hunter III and the mod community, although having browsed the forums quite a bit over the last few months, I've already seen some 'sniping' goin on, granted it's been very subtle. But even I've noticed it.

I hope to get involved with the modding, research, graphics, etc. in the next game, and wish for things to proceed smoothly. I want to help make the game all it can be.

As a new guy I know for sure, if modders were to break off into 'territories' etc., and start the "mine's better" stuff, I wouldn't stick around.

I'm too old for that silliness. It's just a computer game. :salute:

Well said, and looking foward to seeing some of your work when the time comes... :up:

@Jim
Tarjak is tight fisted? Oh noes! Does that mean when i meet him for drinks next week in london, he will 'forget his wallet in the hotel?'
Ill make sure we go some place with a happy hour on! :rotfl2:

AVGWarhawk
11-06-09, 02:22 PM
SHV will not need to be modded. It will come straight out of the box with all content added and historically correct. :03:

Rothwell white
11-06-09, 02:38 PM
SHV will not need to be modded. It will come straight out of the box with all content added and historically correct. :03:
If only..............

AVGWarhawk
11-06-09, 02:49 PM
If only..............

Trust me! :D

Sevrin
11-06-09, 03:25 PM

There's no fun in that... :O:

AVGWarhawk
11-06-09, 03:36 PM
There's no fun in that... :O:

Yeah but it saves a lot of heartburn. :D I just hope the soup is rendered well. I want to see peas and carrots floating around in the broth.

Philipp_Thomsen
11-06-09, 04:46 PM
Yeah but it saves a lot of heartburn. :D I just hope the soup is rendered well. I want to see peas and carrots floating around in the broth.

Dunno about you or other here, but I do LOVE modding!

Jimbuna
11-06-09, 05:11 PM

Don't forget we also need a fair sprinkling of slugs and toenails for added immersion/realism :DL

TarJak
11-06-09, 05:18 PM
@Jim
Tarjak is tight fisted? Oh noes! Does that mean when i meet him for drinks next week in london, he will 'forget his wallet in the hotel?'
:har: I seem to remember having bought a round or so in Houston. No fear JU I'll definately buy you at least one pint mate.:D

Mind you with the pound going the way of the peso right now maybe I'll have to spring for a few more. :D

JScones
11-06-09, 05:25 PM
I stand by the contents of my post Jaesen and whilst applauding your no-nonsense/straightforward writing style I must admit to feeling a small pang of disappointment that you should doubt me.
One thing that my colleagues have always appreciated is my straight to the point candor.

Anyway, I've always lived by the old saying "actions speak louder than words". I apply it to everyone and have found it to be a good moral compass. I make no apologies to anyone for subscribing to this value.

I see you've copied the post for posterity :DL
:hmmm: Actually, I hadn't even thought about doing that; I would consider such an action quite vindictive and certainly not in the spirit of "moving forward". I edited my post, but that's about it.

We all can and should learn from the past because none of us is as clever as all of us.....the community deserve nothing better.
:up: Indeed. For example I am hoping that SH5Cmdr (if needed) is not a "JScones-only" affair. I intend taking a somewhat different developmental approach this time, hoping that other developers get involved. I'd love a joint effort that best utilises the unique skills that each of us has to offer.

If we ever meet at a future SS event (and I sincerely hope we do) I hope your not as tight as TJ because the beers will have to be on you.....I'm a pensioner now you see :DL
As long as:
1) the beer is served at 4 degrees celcius or cooler
2) it's not brewed or kegged in Britain (one exception being Newcastle Brown Ale, but point 1 applies...wait, maybe Brains as well because I'm a Welsh boy at heart)

Webster
11-06-09, 05:29 PM
it would be great if you guys could work out old differences you had in the past and form new understandings and start over fresh but please move the discussion of old issues to PM's and not do it in open forum.

the peanut gallery (meaning everyone not involved) doesnt need to get involved in it nor should they be allowed to :up:

Jimbuna
11-06-09, 05:31 PM
Well said, and looking foward to seeing some of your work when the time comes... :up:

@Jim

LOL....let us just say he has deep pockets and short arms :DL

Ducimus
11-06-09, 05:32 PM
When SH4's modding community first began, lessons learned from the SH3 "Mod War" weighed heavily on my mind. Like Jones, i was a willing participant. If i recall correctly, both of us were neck deep in it around the same time. So i was there, i know, and it's not something im proud of.

But, to the point, avoiding a repeat is what i wanted most. Sad to say, it's starting to look like you guys are already on the way to having a repeat. So i offer these tidbits in the interests of SH5 modding community avoiding a repeat:

1. Everyone will ALWAYS have their own interpretation. Just accept that, and respect a modders interpretation of something. Even if you don't agree with their implentation or design. If they do the same, you have mutual respect.

2. You CAN work with modders who's end goals/interrpretation is different then yours to solve common technical problems. Once the technical problem is solved, everyone profits. Put it in your mind that what they do with the solution to that problem is entirely their personal decision, as is what you do with the solution is your personal decision.

3. Work openly. The exchange of ideas and discovery's is a two way street. You learn from them, they learn from you. If someone takes an idea you posted and improves on it, so what?! The game improves, everyone profits. Also, by working openly it puts credation arguments to rest. Everyone will know who came up with what if thats your thing.

Those 3 things i think have been what has kept the SH4 modding community a peaceful and collaborative one. I know that to some of the old guard from SH3 it looks like everyone in SH4's mod community is all on the same team but we're really not. It's just a functional community. We all don't neccessarily agree with everyones ideas or designs, but we work out common technical issues together, and share discovery's none the less. It's simple and it seems to works.

As an aside, i wont be moving to SH5. But i will watch with interest to see how SH5's community pans out. If you want to forge a new and better community, the time to start is NOW. Good luck.

Jimbuna
11-06-09, 05:49 PM
@WEBSTER

How right your call was :DL

I have responded to you and Jason via PM :yep:

@Jaesen

Rgr that mate....I'm actually talking to TarJak on the TS server as I type and in particular relation to your proviso he has asked me to admit to you that I am currently in the middle of a can of Foster's.

He finds that extremely humorous because apparently nobody drinks it down under anymore he reckons. :DL

I'm off a bite to eat now, it looks like it's pointless closing the stable door now :03:

JScones
11-06-09, 05:50 PM
Fosters??? Who drinks that cr@p? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Jimbuna
11-06-09, 05:52 PM

Not me mister.....honest!!

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6305/liaranimatedanimationli.gif

Rip
11-06-09, 07:05 PM
@WEBSTER

How right your call was :DL

I have responded to you and Jason via PM :yep:

@Jaesen

Rgr that mate....I'm actually talking to TarJak on the TS server as I type and in particular relation to your proviso he has asked me to admit to you that I am currently in the middle of a can of Foster's.

He finds that extremely humorous because apparently nobody drinks it down under anymore he reckons. :DL

I'm off a bite to eat now, it looks like it's pointless closing the stable door now :03:

Oh how I used to love drinking from the oil cans back in my Groton, CT days. By the time I went to Perth I had already acquired a taste for it.

Jimbuna
11-06-09, 08:43 PM
Oh how I used to love drinking from the oil cans back in my Groton, CT days. By the time I went to Perth I had already acquired a taste for it.

It's cold and it's wet and.....oh never mind :doh:

:up:

Torplexed
11-06-09, 09:07 PM

Aww gee. And I thought Fosters was the measuring stick for everything in Australia. :D

http://pyxis.homestead.com/Fosters.jpg

JScones
11-06-09, 09:23 PM
<stops chewing his vegemite on toast>. Looks like I'm about 27 beers behind on the vegemite one...I better catch up! Fortunately I have a fridge full of "real" beer (OK, Pure Blonde, but it is surprisingly tasty, with less than half the carbohydrates of other beers, lol).

JU_88
11-06-09, 09:43 PM

We do - but we really wish you guys would stop sending it to us...
(reads lable : 'brewed in Milton Keynes')

Oh sorry my bad :haha:

yeah we know - Our Fosters is about as Australian as a snow plough.

THE_MASK
11-06-09, 10:10 PM
I drink XXXX especially when i am holidaying in my caravan .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCZF_UnG10

Faamecanic
11-07-09, 12:08 AM
it would be great if you guys could work out old differences you had in the past and form new understandings and start over fresh but please move the discussion of old issues to PM's and not do it in open forum.

the peanut gallery (meaning everyone not involved) doesnt need to get involved in it nor should they be allowed to :up:

Wow...I didnt realise my post would bring up all this discussion.

As an outsider (who has been in and out of this community for YEARS now)..all I can say is I have enjoyed the work of MANY of you!! SH3 commander (couldnt live with out), GWX kept me playing SH3 long after SH4 collected dust. And many other mods by guys I dont even know the names of (Beery and I had our share of historical discussions with RuB).

Bottom line you ALL are talented...and I for one am VERY grateful for the hard work and love of sub simming you have shown.

S! guys..... I feel privalaged to be able to take adavange of such great talent!

Jimbuna
11-07-09, 08:33 AM

Wow...I didnt realise my post would bring up all this discussion.

As an outsider (who has been in and out of this community for YEARS now)..all I can say is I have enjoyed the work of MANY of you!! SH3 commander (couldnt live with out), GWX kept me playing SH3 long after SH4 collected dust. And many other mods by guys I dont even know the names of (Beery and I had our share of historical discussions with RuB).

Bottom line you ALL are talented...and I for one am VERY grateful for the hard work and love of sub simming you have shown.

S! guys..... I feel privalaged to be able to take adavange of such great talent!

Let me put this matter to rest once and for all.

WEBSTER received notification of a bad post.

He immediately PM'd Jaesen and I asking us to take any matters of contention to PM.

Jaesen and I were already in the process of PMing each other to share our astonishment and amazement that someone in 'the peanut gallery' should interpret our post exchange in such a manner.

WEBSTER was copied into both PM's

THERE IS NO ILL FEELING AND THERE NEVER HAS BEEN BETWEEN JAESEN AND MYSELF, I am confident Jaesen will post to the contrary if this statement is incorrect.

If the above does not equate to the level of drama we suspect some might like.....TOUGH!

Can we all move on now please because there is nothing of the slightest significance to be seen here.

Jimbuna
11-07-09, 08:35 AM
@Torplexed

I reckon I was half way to the Midnight Oil guy on Thursday :DL

JU_88
11-07-09, 12:49 PM
Let me put this matter to rest once and for all.

WEBSTER received notification of a bad post.

He immediately PM'd Jaesen and I asking us to take any matters of contention to PM.

Jaesen and I were already in the process of PMing each other to share our astonishment and amazement that someone in 'the peanut gallery' should interpret our post exchange in such a manner.

WEBSTER was copied into both PM's

THERE IS NO ILL FEELING AND THERE NEVER HAS BEEN BETWEEN JAESEN AND MYSELF, I am confident Jaesen will post to the contrary if this statement is incorrect.

If the above does not equate to the level of drama we suspect some might like.....TOUGH!

Can we all move on now please because there is nothing of the slightest significance to be seen here.

Since I was involved in this also, I will speak up for the powers that be..
Yes this was really minor. I know on occassion I dont ways see eye to eye with Jaeson, but i still like and respect the guy and have no hard feelings towards him. everyone has the odd petty disagreement here an there, it was really nothing...

Cheers.

Webster
11-07-09, 01:12 PM
well as a moderator i need to be vigilent for stopping conflicts before they get started or go too far and even thou it was reported as a conflict, there is none here. since i dont have any intimate knowledge of the details of all that went on in the past, who was on what side, and exacly who was involved, i dont know a joke from a jab in this case so i went on the side of better to try and step in early.

if we were to start rehashing what happened before in sh3 forums it only ensures that people will start forming opinions about it and unless its done with great care then people will begin discussing who is right and who was wrong and taking sides all over again and then here we go again, its just human nature.

there is a chance that there may still be those who even after all this time still have raw feelings over it are just waiting on the sidelines for a chance to jump in at a moments notice to continue "unfinished buisness" from the past.

i may have been quick to pull the trigger but when you think the sharks are about to start circling around the boat you take the bait out of the water.

its not my intention to stop the topic of past mistakes from being discussed because its good to talk about past mistakes so we are not repeating them but this was a full blown all out arguement that involved MANY people and even the most innocent conversation about this, if not done with great care about how its worded, can cause things to explode again very easy even after all this time.

i hope this finally puts all this to rest and we can let the post continue with the OP subject matter

Philipp_Thomsen
11-07-09, 01:22 PM
Nothing to do with the thread, but... I wonder if Skwas Silent 3ditor will work with SH5.

Webster
11-07-09, 01:38 PM
Nothing to do with the thread, but... I wonder if Skwas Silent 3ditor will work with SH5.

i saw a post where Skwas said he was definately NOT going to make it work for sh5.

he said it is what it is and if s3d doesnt work for sh5 "as is" (which i sure hope it can) he said someone else will need to create something new for sh5

i am hoping if it has problems with sh5 it will be close enough to be adapted easily and he changes his mind on doing a conversion for sh5

JScones
11-07-09, 05:24 PM
THERE IS NO ILL FEELING AND THERE NEVER HAS BEEN BETWEEN JAESEN AND MYSELF...
:up:

I reckon I was half way to the Midnight Oil guy on Thursday :DL
C'mon, show the man some respect. He's now "Midnight Oil guy MP". :rotfl2:

AVGWarhawk
11-07-09, 05:45 PM
There is love in the air! :DL

Jimbuna
11-08-09, 02:25 PM
There is love in the air! :DL

I believe there are already sufficient calls for Jaesens affections :O:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1748/sea0133l.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/i/sea0133l.jpg/)

AVGWarhawk
11-08-09, 03:59 PM
I believe there are already sufficient calls for Jaesens affections :O:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1748/sea0133l.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/i/sea0133l.jpg/)

I'm just here for the Fosters :D

Philipp_Thomsen
11-08-09, 04:00 PM
Reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te8yWs9BPfM

THE_MASK
11-10-09, 02:22 AM
We should be due for another update soon as they are about 7 days apart .

Akula4745
11-10-09, 09:31 AM
Reminded me of this...

Ha! Too funny...

AVGWarhawk
11-10-09, 09:46 AM
Reminded me of this...

:har: Where men are men and cows are scared!

Ducimus
11-10-09, 05:44 PM

Just cause your probably thinking it, have to say it wasn't me that hit the "bad post" button. I don't report bad posts, I make them. :O: (edit: That's tongue in cheek, don't go saving that for "prosperity". :haha: ) At any rate, what i posted earlier in this thread was sincere. Ultimatly though, I won't be swimming in this pond, so what you fish do in it is your own business. :salute:

Jimbuna
11-11-09, 05:40 PM
:har: Where men are men and cows are scared!

In the UK (Wales actually) :DL we say "where men are men and sheep are worried" :smug:

Jimbuna
11-11-09, 05:43 PM
Just cause your probably thinking it, have to say it wasn't me that hit the "bad post" button. I don't report bad posts, I make them. :O: (edit: That's tongue in cheek, don't go saving that for "prosperity". :haha: ) At any rate, what i posted earlier in this thread was sincere. Ultimatly though, I won't be swimming in this pond, so what you fish do in it is your own business. :salute:

Can't honestly say I gave it any thought really....other than whoever it was probably made themselves look a little foolish in the eyes of a newish moderator.

What's key to it all is the simple fact that it was a false alarm.

Webster
11-11-09, 06:44 PM
whoever it was probably made themselves look a little foolish in the eyes of a newish moderator.

not at all, its better to be cautious then complacent and the report was an alert to "possible" trouble so i'm glad it was just nothing and i think the report was a valid concern given the subject matter.

Uber Gruber
11-12-09, 10:10 AM
I know how to say "I Love You" in Welsh.........it's "Bahhhhhh".:arrgh!:

mookiemookie
11-12-09, 11:45 AM
They're late on their weekly update! :06:

FIREWALL
11-12-09, 12:15 PM
Anybody ever drank ... STEEL 211 ? Drank 3- 40oz. and damn near saw cartoons. :dead::doh:

JU_88
11-12-09, 12:19 PM
Just a guess but,
Considering SHV is 'supposed' to be about 14 weeks or so, from going gold - they are probabaly on panic stations and overtime.
LOL no time for updates!
Dan and Mr M have not posted much here recenlty either - probabaly because they working their nuts off.

:oops:

mookiemookie
11-12-09, 12:27 PM
Anybody ever drank ... STEEL 211 ? Drank 3- 40oz. and damn near saw cartoons. :dead::doh:

Steel Reserve is what we used to drink in college to get us messed up in a hurry. I was actually wearing my Steel Reserve tshirt from college yesterday. :D

FIREWALL
11-12-09, 12:35 PM
Steel Reserve is what we used to drink in college to get us messed up in a hurry. I was actually wearing my Steel Reserve tshirt from college yesterday. :D

It hasn't changed any. It still gets one messed up. :rotfl2:

I am about the only one in my crowed that likes the taste of it.

I wish I had a Steel Reserve t-shirt. God knows I've drank enough of it. :haha:

Sailor Steve
11-12-09, 01:37 PM
In the UK (Wales actually) :DL we say "where men are men and sheep are worried" :smug:
Here in Utah we say something similar about our neighboring state of Wyoming, but the operative description runs more along the lines of "..scared ****less!"

Jimbuna
11-12-09, 04:44 PM
It hasn't changed any. It still gets one messed up. :rotfl2:

I am about the only one in my crowed that likes the taste of it.

I wish I had a Steel Reserve t-shirt. God knows I've drank enough of it. :haha:

It looks like these guys have sampled it as well :o

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1220/aseriouslydrunkredneck.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/aseriouslydrunkredneck.jpg/)

TDK1044
11-13-09, 09:07 AM
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1220/aseriouslydrunkredneck.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/aseriouslydrunkredneck.jpg/)

Jim, posting this shot of Dan and Mihai so close to the game going gold is cruel.

All I said to them was..."Don't forgert that Silent Hunter 5 has to be able to run on Neal's rig" :)

Jimbuna
11-13-09, 09:51 AM
Jim, posting this shot of Dan and Mihai so close to the game going gold is cruel.

All I said to them was..."Don't forgert that Silent Hunter 5 has to be able to run on Neal's rig" :)

ROFLMAO :rotfl2:

Rockin Robbins
11-13-09, 02:31 PM

Wolfpacks
Enemy Submarines
Destroyer command.

But what is the glass half full of?:har:

Sorry, couldn't resist....

karamazovnew
11-13-09, 08:07 PM

Wolfpacks
Enemy Submarines
Destroyer command.

This is what I like about Silent Hunter. You buy the game, play it for a few weeks, then the mods start rolling in. And every time a new big mod comes in, the game feels new. I remember the following phases:
2005: OMG SH3 is so amazing....
2008: OMG SH3 with GWX is so amazing, SH3 suckzor
2006: OMG SH4 is so am... well... uhmm
2008: OMG SH4 with TMO RFB OM is so amaaz... well, okok, amazing... SH4 suckzor
2010: OMG SH5 is amazing... (i hope)
2012: players quit their jobs and get rid of any girlfriends/wives/kids/pets to play SH5 with GWX5 undisturbed at TC1X... and of course SH5 suckzor

Philipp_Thomsen
11-13-09, 10:31 PM
This is what I like about Silent Hunter. You buy the game, play it for a few weeks, then the mods start rolling in. And every time a new big mod comes in, the game feels new. I remember the following phases:
2005: OMG SH3 is so amazing....
2008: OMG SH3 with GWX is so amazing, SH3 suckzor
2006: OMG SH4 is so am... well... uhmm
2008: OMG SH4 with TMO RFB OM is so amaaz... well, okok, amazing... SH4 suckzor
2010: OMG SH5 is amazing... (i hope)
2012: players quit their jobs and get rid of any girlfriends/wives/kids/pets to play SH5 with GWX5 undisturbed at TC1X... and of course SH5 suckzor

Hum.. get rid of gf? Sex is better then SH5 :D

karamazovnew
11-14-09, 01:07 AM
Hum.. get rid of gf? Sex is better then SH5 :D

Even with Gwx5?!!! :hmmm: Maybe I should try this thing called sex some time... I've been hearing a lot about it lately. What's the latest version? :har:

Ducimus
11-14-09, 01:21 AM
Maybe I should try this thing called sex some time... I've been hearing a lot about it lately

It's pretty cool, you get to load a torpedo tube. It's the most realistic mod ever, let me tell you! :O:

karamazovnew
11-14-09, 01:37 AM
It's pretty cool, you get to load a torpedo tube. It's the most realistic mod ever, let me tell you! :O:

I've just watched a trailer on %$!*orn.com and let me tell you, that's nothing like loading a torpedo tube. :stare:

THE_MASK
11-14-09, 01:59 AM
I've just watched a trailer on %$!*orn.com and let me tell you, that's nothing like loading a torpedo tube. :stare:
Never mind .

PL_Andrev
11-14-09, 07:36 AM
Anybody knows why community Q&A on SH5 ubi site is not updated this week?

Schultz
11-14-09, 09:16 AM
I can't stand it anymore , I want new pictures or a 1 minute movie.

The General
11-14-09, 09:25 AM
@Infernos

Lol, I know! The Devs can afford to show us a new screenshot every now and again right? It's been weeks and no new info. Maybe something's wrong :hmmm: Maybe finance has been cut and development shut down :06:

Schultz
11-14-09, 09:43 AM
Don't even croak about this , my comrades will handle the pressure

Jimbuna
11-14-09, 09:47 AM
I hope they haven't changed the games focus to PTO and are witholding the dissapointment from everyone till just prior to release :O:

The General
11-14-09, 12:43 PM
My comrades will handle the pressureWell, how 'bout asking your 'comrades' what's going on? :O:

Schultz
11-14-09, 03:22 PM
I here by declare myself representative of subsim forum when it comes to bringing information from Ubi Ro
I already sent a PM to Gkhane about some new information, pictures or a movie from ubi forum.

Annatar
11-14-09, 04:37 PM
I'm sure all the forum veterans who've been here for many years, and personally met and conversed with the SH developers, will be glad to hear that you've officially appointed yourself as their representative. :nope:

I hearby declare you an [expletive deleted].

Annatar
11-14-09, 04:39 PM
Double post.

Schultz
11-14-09, 05:53 PM
It was just a joke :haha:
But I sent email to Gkhane

Jimbuna
11-14-09, 05:56 PM
I'm sure all the forum veterans who've been here for many years, and personally met and conversed with the SH developers, will be glad to hear that you've officially appointed yourself as their representative. :nope:

I hearby declare you an [expletive deleted].

ROFLMAO :rotfl2:

Uber Gruber
11-14-09, 09:01 PM
Gotta luv enthusiasm :woot:

Schultz
11-15-09, 06:38 AM
My ideea was to make you forget a little about waiting for sh5 and I suceeded
annatar talked about something else :haha:

TDK1044
11-18-09, 07:50 AM

What about surface ships firing torpedoes? In SH3 even torpedoes boats didn't attack another ships by torpedoes, only guns, guns, guns...

This is a nice feature and one we have in plan. However, it is regarded as less important than other features such as AI submarines - friendly and enemy.

Will completing the training missions give you a reward or bonus towards a new campaign?

The game tutorial is part of campaign – it should be a smooth and seamless ride from beginning to end in terms of player progression. The way you complete it will have some impact on the rest of the campaign – but let’s face it: the war was not lost on its first night.

Méo
11-18-09, 08:10 AM
Really nice indeed! :yeah:

Now we're talking. :up:

PL_Andrev
11-18-09, 08:26 AM
At least news since 2 weeks...
I was hoping that it will be more answers but I am glad that any are...
:salute:

Alex
11-18-09, 09:40 AM
i.e.

What about surface ships firing torpedoes? In SH3 even torpedoes boats didn't attack another ships by torpedoes, only guns, guns, guns...

don't dream too much.

Will completing the training missions give you a reward or bonus towards a new campaign?

Hopefully.

:-?

I start to get annoyed by their lack of clearness.
I 100% support the dev team, but I do not like at all updates made up mostly of ambiguities that those community developers post with the only intention to gather a maximum of shoppers. :yawn:

Sorry for being honest. :stare:

PL_Andrev
11-18-09, 11:01 AM
I 100% support the dev team, but I do not like at all updates made up mostly of ambiguities that those community developers post with the only intention to gather a maximum of shoppers. :yawn:

Relax, UBI knows very well that he could not let such a poor product as the SH4. The best way to buy is waiting for the subsim players opinion, press review or the first patches. The key to SH5 was "bugs free" and "mod open".

About torpedoes from AI ships:
In Battlestations Midway & Pacific AI shoot torpedoes very well.
Not so complicated.

mookiemookie
11-18-09, 11:22 AM

This is a nice feature and one we have in plan. However, it is regarded as less important than other features such as AI submarines - friendly and enemy.

I imagine if you have AI subs that can fire torpedoes, it would not be a far leap to have surface ships that fire torpedoes. If this is not included "out of the box" I'm sure that some modding wizard will fix it in short order.

TheDarkWraith
11-18-09, 02:00 PM
I imagine if you have AI subs that can fire torpedoes, it would not be a far leap to have surface ships that fire torpedoes. If this is not included "out of the box" I'm sure that some modding wizard will fix it in short order.

all they have to do is fix the controller(s) so that when you spawn a torpedo it doesn't always point north (000). That is what is preventing true AI torps in SH3 at least. Let it spawn in the direction it's fired and problem almost fixed.

JU_88
11-18-09, 02:18 PM

The game tutorial is part of campaign – it should be a smooth and seamless ride from beginning to end in terms of player progression. The way you complete it will have some impact on the rest of the campaign – but let’s face it: the war was not lost on its first night.

Well, no bitching from me - Im a happy bunny :DL