PDA

View Full Version : Hstorical pieces of information / Modelling of the crew

Arrakis
10-08-09, 04:52 AM
I don't know if you guys have seen this, it's quite interesting for some parts:
http://www.uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm

What caught my attention is the description of the equipments used and their exact place in the sub.

I find those statements pretty interesting as well:
"When surfaced there are normally three persons in the conning tower. Under battle stations conditions, there are four".
"When surfaced there are five persons in the control room. At battle stations, there are ten."
And it goes for all strategic locations of the sub.

I really hope this can be modeled in SH5, or that at least the devs use those documents as basis for their work in order to get historical accuracy. I however doubt that we will get a FULL crew modeled, Create and animate 50 people sounds tricky to me

All in all, the document is pretty long to go through, but it is full of details on how a type IX was equiped and manned by its crew.
I'm sure a lot of you already know the website it comes from.
Uboatarchives is a good website for reading historical documents and learn how things exactly happen during the battle of the atlantic (I enjoyed reading the war diaries part).

Hope this is useful !

karamazovnew
10-08-09, 08:43 AM
Very nice, bookmarked :up:.
It's always refreshing for newbs like us to be remembered that the subs were not 1000 polygon 3 button pushing machines. One part in particular has caught my eye. The food and water supplies. I wonder if the captain will be able to set consumption rates.It would be funny to run out of fresh water and be forced to board the nearest merchant to steal some :har:

Sailor Steve
10-08-09, 12:57 PM
They made a small step in that direction for SH4. There are less men in the control room than in SH3, but when you call General Quarters it fills up with a couple more than are in SH3. Still no one in the conning tower, though.

I'm with you - it's another wish for SH5.

FIREWALL
10-08-09, 01:02 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen this, it's quite interesting for some parts:
http://www.uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm

What caught my attention is the description of the equipments used and their exact place in the sub.

I find those statements pretty interesting as well:
"When surfaced there are normally three persons in the conning tower. Under battle stations conditions, there are four".
"When surfaced there are five persons in the control room. At battle stations, there are ten."
And it goes for all strategic locations of the sub.

I really hope this can be modeled in SH5, or that at least the devs use those documents as basis for their work in order to get historical accuracy. I however doubt that we will get a FULL crew modeled, Create and animate 50 people sounds tricky to me

All in all, the document is pretty long to go through, but it is full of details on how a type IX was equiped and manned by its crew.
I'm sure a lot of you already know the website it comes from.
Uboatarchives is a good website for reading historical documents and learn how things exactly happen during the battle of the atlantic (I enjoyed reading the war diaries part).

Hope this is useful !

:up::up::up: :salute: