PDA

View Full Version : SH5 need that lightning

W_clear
09-03-09, 04:14 AM
Lightning is a failure in the SH4,I made two animations for reference.

DAY:
http://i27.tinypic.com/2ur15cx.gif

NIGHT:

http://i31.tinypic.com/2hs7kw5.gif

rocker_lx
09-03-09, 04:26 AM
Nice animations..
How did you do them? In a 3D app like Maya?

I agree that the water in SH4 was beautiful in screenshots, but when playing this jelly look disturbed me a lot.

Your day animation seems to me to have a problem with the lighting, the atmosphere is stormy, clouded with low visibility and rain, but in the foreground wave you can clearly see reflections as when the sun would shine on the water.

The night animation has a disturbing blue color in the water when the lightning
illuminates the scene.

Edit: Ok, I misunderstood... your post was to point out those errors in SH4.. Doh...

pythos
09-03-09, 10:07 AM
My sh4 lacked lightning, and the white flash associated with it. Which was a total bummer.

The very first flight simulator had this effect, I was really surprised SH4 lacked it.

DigitalAura
09-03-09, 11:07 AM
Dang, that storm looks graphically stunning! :yeah:
I haven't really noticed the storms, are you saying you aren't happy with the lightning or are you saying there actually ISN'T lightning?

The General
09-03-09, 11:53 AM
SH4 has a problem with the lighting overall. The flares light up your hull when your just under the surface but not the surface of the water :hmmm: (Not to mention the A.I. fires all the flares in the same area that bares no realtion to wherre. When the source of the spotlights (emitter) is off screen, the spolight beam disappears :hmmm:. And no lightning of any kind. The new graphic-engine of SH5 should hopefully fix all that. :up:

Webster
09-03-09, 12:15 PM
its probably the same thing but i think its the reflections that is the problem and not the light itself.

if the water is transparent so the light shines on the sub hull so because of this same transparency it has no light reflection of its own

the reflection is also going to effect transparency for other things such as lights shining through objects too. the same may happen with starshells shining through ships and thats why they dont get illuminated by them

if i had to guess i would say the lighting is ok but the way things reflect the light is the key to a more realistic look

Task Force
09-03-09, 12:21 PM
Nice W clear.:yeah: looks great