PDA

View Full Version : Will Silent Hunter 5 run on a Laptop?

TDK1044
08-26-09, 07:31 AM
I'm going to be purchasing a new Laptop at the end of the year. Has anybody had any success running SH4 on a Laptop? I'd like to buy a really nice one if SH5 will run on it, but I don't want to spend a lot of money upgading the processor, the RAM and the video card if I load SH5 and it won't run. :hmmm:

Letum
08-26-09, 07:45 AM
It depends on the specifications of the laptop and the required specifications of SH5.

Until we know the latter, no one can tell you.

holtzbr
08-26-09, 07:47 AM
I recently purchased a new high-end pc that treats my games (& SH4) like a step dad treats his red-headed step child (apologies to any red-headed step children on this forum). Quad Core, 1GB Nvidia, yadda yadda yadda...

Before I purchased the desktop, though, I toyed with the idea of getting a top-shelf gaming laptop instead. In the end, the $$$ was too much of a road block. :damn:

It was simply too much money for me. Anyhoo, I know the Alienware stuff seemed to be highly recommended...

[Edit] - This is what I have seen regarding early takes on system req's:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1155576&postcount=30

My projected configuration to run the game very well (with all graphic options enabled, in 1280*1024) is:
dual core at 3 GHz (quad core is appreciated but not mandatory)
2 gb of ram
nVidia 8800 GT 512mb (ATi 4850 512mb)

512mb on the video card is a minimum to play the game with every option checked. We're trying to make the game to fit into 256 mb of video memory (with the lowest settings).

Assassin's Creed was created by a completely different studio with a completely different engine. Those requirements are caused by the fact that their main target is the Xbox 360.

Silent Hunter has nothing to do with the Xbox 360.

The game will run on Windows 7, even the 64bit edition.

Arrakis
08-26-09, 08:17 AM
Hi guys,

I'm playing SH3 and SH4 only on a laptop. I've got a MSI laptop with 2,26 Ghz, a Nvidia 9600M GT with 512 Mo and 4Go RAM, and although I installed SH4 with TMO everything runs smoothly.

I now hope SH5 can be handled with that config, what do you think?

Cheers

JU_88
08-26-09, 12:14 PM
I'm going to be purchasing a new Laptop at the end of the year. Has anybody had any success running SH4 on a Laptop? I'd like to buy a really nice one if SH5 will run on it, but I don't want to spend a lot of money upgading the processor, the RAM and the video card if I load SH5 and it won't run. :hmmm:

Depends on the Specs, Graphics is THE most important thing here - and sadly its what Laptops skimp on the most.
If you go for an Intel Extreme GPU - you'll be lucky to get 15 frames per second out of SH3 let alone SH5 :down:.

Ram is easy to upgrade, but AFAIK, CPU and Graphics Chipsets cannot easily be upgraded on 99% of Laptops and for the 1% that you can - the cost to do so is HUGE.

Laptop GPUs are usually built into the main board and the mobile Nvida/ATI chipsets tend to be about one generation behind the latest desktop cards, so dont expect to be able to play SH5 on max settings unless you got a big budget.

In short, yes there will be laptops out there that can play SH5 well, but they wont be cheap.

TDK1044
08-26-09, 12:44 PM
Depends on the Specs, Graphics is THE most important thing here - and sadly its what Laptops skimp on the most.
If you go for an Intel Extreme GPU - you'll be lucky to get 15 frames per second out of SH3 let alone SH5 :down:.

Ram is easy to upgrade, but AFAIK, CPU and Graphics Chipsets cannot easily be upgraded on 99% of Laptops and for the 1% that you can - the cost to do so is HUGE.

Laptop GPUs are usually built into the main board and the mobile Nvida/ATI chipsets tend to be about one generation behind the latest desktop cards, so dont expect to be able to play SH5 on max settings unless you got a big budget.

In short, yes there will be laptops out there that can play SH5 well, but they wont be cheap.

I hear you. I'm hoping there will be some decent systems around with pre loaded Windows 7 in early November.

The kind of system I've been checking out recently has an Intel 2 duo core 2.8Ghz processor with 4 GIGs of RAM and a Radeon 4670 1 GIG video card.

Andyman23
08-27-09, 12:31 AM
i was gonna get a laptop too (hopefully). I was looking at the Alienware M17X, did you take a look at that one TDK?? it looks pretty badass. The thing im wondering is, why is this game going to be so graphically demanding? i mean its a sim right? i mean, maybe ive been away from the graphics cards/processor 'scene' for awhile (been at school), but man, it seems like you need a top level machine to be able to play this game. maybe this has been said many times already, but it really concerns me

any thoughts?

Arclight
08-27-09, 02:15 AM
From the laptop POV, yeah, you need a top-notch machine. Laptops just can't handle games well, so if you want to play the latest games, it's always going to struggle.

From desktop perspective it's not that bad: recommended is a 8800GT. Not exactly top notch by todays standards, and cheap to boot. For half the money you spend on a top-notch laptop that can barely run it, you can build a desktop that smokes it.

Imho there's no such thing as a "gaming" laptop. Anything that lacks a dedicated graphics card (#1 priority for gaming) is not suited for gaming. :down:

Andyman23
08-27-09, 10:56 AM
what about 2 Nvidia GTX 260M's?

Arclight
08-27-09, 11:39 AM
Better get a few extra batteries, that's gonna need some power. What are you gonna get out of it, 1 hour of gaming? :rotfl:

I know this isn't always an option, but I really think you can build a desktop of equal performance for quite a bit less money. In fact, I reckon that you could buy a decent laptop from the money you have left over; use the desktop for gaming and the laptop for your mobile needs.

M17x is a bit heavy to be lugging around anyway. :hmmm:

Andyman23
08-27-09, 11:45 AM
yeah i was gonna figure out a way to hook it into my car battery to run it.

Arclight
08-27-09, 12:19 PM
That's a good idea, if you can make it work. But it might drain it faster than it's recharged. :hmmm:

To be honest, I'm terribly biased against laptops and pre-built desktops in general, because I know I can get the same or better hardware for less money. A laptop can be used for gaming, but you have to accept setting the options a bit lower than you would be able to on a desktop. A GTX260M or GTX280M sounds impressive, but in reality it compares to about a 9800GT with lowered clockspeeds.

In fact, that GTX280M is not a GTX card at all: it has the G92 core, the same core as I have on my 8800GTS 512, a card that's (I think) 1.5 years old. But to keep the temps and powerconsumption reasonable, they lowered the clocks for the mobile chipset.

They call it a GTX and charge you as if it were, when in fact they stick you with parts that were gathering dust for the past year. That's another thing that ticks me of, and probably means I shouldn't be the one giving "advise" about gaming laptops just now. :-?

Even when this has happened on the desktop (remember back to when G92 transitioned from the 8800/9800 series to the GTS 250 (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-250,2172.html)?) it drew only minor quibble, since the model number 250 didn’t imply parity to existing parts. But if renaming the GTX 8800 to GTS 250 after little more than a die shrink and clock increase went half a step beyond what most enthusiasts wanted to see, underclocking the same so-called GTS 250 part below desktop GeForce 8800 GTS 512-levels and raising its model number to that of last summer’s flagship is at least two steps—if not a giant leap—too far. Notebook buyers expecting the very best of last-year’s desktop performance from this year’s mobile parts will be stunned to find that their products don’t even live up to the specifications of 2007’s upper-mainstream graphics processor.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-280m,2353-6.html

JU_88
08-27-09, 01:20 PM
That's a good idea, if you can make it work. But it might drain it faster than it's recharged. :hmmm:

To be honest, I'm terribly biased against laptops and pre-built desktops in general, because I know I can get the same or better hardware for less money. A laptop can be used for gaming, but you have to accept setting the options a bit lower than you would be able to on a desktop. A GTX260M or GTX280M sounds impressive, but in reality it compares to about a 9800GT with lowered clockspeeds.

In fact, that GTX280M is not a GTX card at all: it has the G92 core, the same core as I have on my 8800GTS 512, a card that's (I think) 1.5 years old. But to keep the temps and powerconsumption reasonable, they lowered the clocks for the mobile chipset.

They call it a GTX and charge you as if it were, when in fact they stick you with parts that were gathering dust for the past year. That's another thing that ticks me of, and probably means I shouldn't be the one giving "advise" about gaming laptops just now. :-?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-280m,2353-6.html

ALL True, but not the fairest comparison, for laptops you are paying the extra cash for the mobility - shrunken & more energy effcient components that (supposedly) cost more to design, develop and produce.

Big problem with modern GPUs (in laptops) is the temperature & power consumption,
GPU cores run MUCH hotter than your CPU which tend to level off around 60 oC or so (with a good cooling solution.)
A mid/highend Nvidia GPU operates at about 130 oC + with the stock coolers on most cards.
And the smaller the fan, the higher the RPMs..and no one wants a laptop that sounds like an Boeing 737 preparing for take off.

FIREWALL
08-27-09, 01:25 PM
Shure it will run on a laptop. Just like SH4. :03:

flakmonkey
08-28-09, 11:33 AM
This is kind of like asking how long is a piece of string, wait for the reccomended specs to be released then buy an appropriatly specd laptop and youll be just fine...