PDA

View Full Version : The SH3 to SH4 transition...

RodBorza
08-02-09, 02:54 PM
Ahoy everybody!

Another one for the ranks...

After much time of postponing, I decided to buy SH4. It is a good game, specially on the graphics part, but there are some things that I miss from the SH3, many functionalities that I liked.

So, as a noob for SH4, I have a few questions:

1) I dowloaded it from Steam and it says v.1.3; I tried to patch it to v1.4 and the setup says that cannot find any SH4 installed on my computer. Is there anyone out there who had the same problem? And I would like to know if there is a way to patch it.

2) I saw on the forums that the gunners and watch crew are hurt when you are submerged taking a lot of DCs. Is this in any way fixed in other patches (or mods)?

3) Air search radar: where can I see it? I am at the start of the war, equipped only with the air radar and when I get to the radar station the scopes are blank. Not even the on/off switch works. I figures that those scopes are only for surface radar, which I don't have. If it is so, where is the scope for the air radar? :ping:

4) Version 1.5: is it worth to buy $10.00 to get a patch that I should get for free? I mean, I know it is a expansion pack, but are the fixes on this game able to solve many of the bugs on the stock Sh4?

5) Mods: as I was going through the forums, I see that one way to solve the problems is to mod, mod, MOD! I miss the clickable crewmembers, i miss the nearest spotted target on the bridge, and I sure miss the "F6 to attack map" feature! Resuming, what mods do you recommend?

6) Walking around the sub: I know, I know, it is a detail :rolleyes:, but I would like to be able to walk around the sub. UBI is owing us this. Not only from the Command Room, to aft Command room to Sonar station. I would like to visit crew quarters, torpedo rooms, engine rooms. Make the sub a really immersive experience. Any mods on that?

7) Besides walking around, on the Porpoise sub, at the Command Room, you only have one view? Isn't a aft room option to walk around it?

8) Is there a mod to put the ever practical nomograph on the nav map? Also, where is the termograph? I only get a passing thermal layer sound and...nothing else. On the good ol' Silent Hunter 1 we had a termograph and a calendar showing when the moon would rise and fall. It is a detail, but details are what make the difference.

9) Just a comment: the fleet boats seem huge close to the U-boats. Is that right? I remember from SH1 that the ship scheme showed the crew quarters and a Mess Hall. The U-boats, on the other hand, seem very cramped, with no place to eat or do the laundry! :o

Thanks for your replys,

and see you on the (un)friendly seas!

Torplexed
08-02-09, 07:51 PM
Also, where is the termograph? I only get a passing thermal layer sound and...nothing else. On the good ol' Silent Hunter 1 we had a termograph and a calendar showing when the moon would rise and fall. It is a detail, but details are what make the difference.

Excellent examples of something simple that worked well in the original that the developers somehow overlooked or just decided to omit.

Yes...fleet boats are huge compared to U-Boats. They had to play in a bigger ocean. ;)

RodBorza
08-03-09, 05:34 AM
Torplexed...

Now I see it...So they "improved" the game...hehehehe...

About the boats...The Amrican ones are really big indeed! But I was comparing, I remember taking a U-Boat all the Atlantic across in fewer time than in the Pacific. Just the Pearl Harbor to Midway trip takes a loooonngg time...

Torplexed
08-03-09, 09:17 AM
Torplexed...

Now I see it...So they "improved" the game...hehehehe...

About the boats...The Amrican ones are really big indeed! But I was comparing, I remember taking a U-Boat all the Atlantic across in fewer time than in the Pacific. Just the Pearl Harbor to Midway trip takes a loooonngg time...

That's actually another aspect of SH1 I miss. In that game you had patrol maps for areas like the South China Sea or the Japanese Islands. You started on the edge of the patrol map with time subtracted from when you left port, and dispensed with the tedious long drive from Pearl or Fremantle. Always thought that would have been a nice option for SH4 since the outward bound trip from any Pacific base is usually uneventful anyway.

RodBorza
08-03-09, 08:28 PM
Because that's was an SSI game...

OH! Ubisoft!:timeout:

Why thou shall not listen to us? :o

*sigh*