PDA

View Full Version : Any tip for using the stadimeter?

kstanb
07-27-09, 02:35 PM
I am playing with RFB + RSRD + OM

and I am having a lot of trouble getting accurate ranges with the stadimeter, therefore my speed calculations and target course calculations done without radar or sonar assistance are always poor some of the issues:

- It is pretty much impossible to focus the tool while surfaced, the sub moves so much that it is even difficult to hit pause with the target centered.

- In the recognition manual I have 2 pictures for most merchant ships:
one is usually called, Medium split merchant, height 50ft. the other Medium split freighter 55ft. Or like Large tanker 60ft, Large oiler 52ft,
(I am inventing the numbers, but that is the idea)

- While submerged, sometimes, the target is so far away that it is impossible to "see" the contact at periscope depth. therefore, I have to surface and again try the very frustrating game of pausing with the target centered

So my questions are, does anyone have tips of how to improve range finding accuracy with using only the stadimeter?

thanks a lot

DarkFish
07-27-09, 03:20 PM
- It is pretty much impossible to focus the tool while surfaced, the sub moves so much that it is even difficult to hit pause with the target centered.it doesn't really have to be centered. just line up the mast of the lower image with the waterline of the upper one. Where the crosshairs are doesn't matter. You can best pause the game as this makes it easier, but it seems you already figured that out.
- In the recognition manual I have 2 pictures for most merchant ships:
one is usually called, Medium split merchant, height 50ft. the other Medium split freighter 55ft. Or like Large tanker 60ft, Large oiler 52ft,
(I am inventing the numbers, but that is the idea)In such a case I usually check the range on my nav map. For example if the calculated range is 800 m while my nav map says the range is 1200 m I know I should use the other one.
- While submerged, sometimes, the target is so far away that it is impossible to "see" the contact at periscope depth. therefore, I have to surface and again try the very frustrating game of pausing with the target centeredAttack from a closer distance. I rarely shoot from further away than 1500 m, usually I fire at around 800m.
If you're waiting ahead of the target, just wait a little longer until it is clearly visible. Even then you've got plenty of time to do accurate speed calculations.

I hope this helped you a bit:up:

kstanb
07-27-09, 04:49 PM
Yes, they help!, specially the first. I thought a perfect match between crosshair and waterline was required

Regarding the use of nav map. It won't help me since I am playing with no map update

As per attacking from a distance, yes I also attack at much shorter distance, I just like to be at periscope depth to measure speed, since the sub doesn't move that much and because I can use active sonar (if using an American fleet boat) for greater accuracy

thanks a lot