PDA

View Full Version : No file - CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT'S CBS RADIO MOD FOR SH4

Akula4745
07-20-09, 04:53 PM
On http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches2005.html#sh4 - the link for CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT'S CBS RADIO MOD FOR SH4 by CaptainCox (146MB) (at filefront) is dead. Does anyone have this file they could share - or is it posted somewhere else? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks all!

fred8615
07-20-09, 05:08 PM
I don't know about that mod, but if you're looking for radio mods, just follow the link in my sig below.

Akula4745
07-20-09, 09:13 PM
Thanks Fred - I already have your fine radio mods - I am specifically looking for the CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT'S CBS RADIO MOD FOR SH4 by CaptainCox which I mentioned.... and is listed on the subsim downloads page.

Kloef
07-21-09, 06:39 AM
Wasnt that removed because of copyrights?

ReallyDedPoet
07-21-09, 07:23 AM
Wasnt that removed because of copyrights?

CC has not been here at SUBSIM for a long time so the link just went dead. Maybe somebody here can upload it to SUBSIM. This was done for his Silent Service Graphics Mod.

JREX53
07-21-09, 09:29 AM
Akula745,

I am in the process of uploading "Captain Midnight's CBS Radio" mod FileFront. Will add the link as soon as it gets done uploading.

SteamWake
07-21-09, 10:03 AM
Dident File front close ?

JREX53
07-21-09, 10:08 AM
Nope, The people that originially started it, took it over. So it is still useable. They changed the look of it though.

Here is the FileFront Link for Captain Midnights CBS Radio Mod:
http://www.filefront.com/14090935/CAPTAIN_MIDNIGHTS_CBS_RADD.rar

ReallyDedPoet
07-21-09, 11:16 AM
Nope, The people that originially started it, took it over. So it is still useable. They changed the look of it though.

Nice work :up:

Akula4745
07-21-09, 12:00 PM

JREX53 - thanks so much, kind sir. I am in your debt! If you ever need anything I can offer just holler...

Many thanks!

Munchausen
07-21-09, 12:31 PM
:hmmm: Stand by for Akula to post a "my game crashed" complaint.

Akula4745
07-21-09, 01:43 PM
:hmmm: Stand by for Akula to post a "my game crashed" complaint.

Why Munch... were there problems with this mod you know about? I used it once before with no problem. If there is a problem with it - then why is it still linked from the main SUBSIM download page?

ReallyDedPoet
07-21-09, 01:45 PM
I have never had any problems with this mod.

Armistead
07-21-09, 06:25 PM
I never had any problems with it. Radio mods shouldn't mess up your game.

I've loaded this and all of Fred's radio mods, dang near filled a seperate harddrive....

fred8615
07-21-09, 06:33 PM
I never had any problems with it. Radio mods shouldn't mess up your game.

There is one way they will. If you have an event.ini that calls for a file and it isn't there, or is misnamed, it will cause a CTD. Even if you're not listening to that particular station. It's easy to spot because it always cause the CTD at the same in-game time and date.

Akula4745
07-21-09, 07:00 PM
There is one way they will. If you have an event.ini that calls for a file and it isn't there, or is misnamed, it will cause a CTD. Even if you're not listening to that particular station. It's easy to spot because it always cause the CTD at the same in-game time and date.

BTW Fred... many thanks for your fine radio mods as well. I have and enjoy "almost" all of them. However my captain's desk photo ended up being a wedding picture... my missus liked it and I do anything to convince my wife I need just a few more hours at the PC! :D

fred8615
07-21-09, 07:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, define "almost."

:hmmm:

Akula4745
07-21-09, 11:23 PM
All of them except for KOTR - the 60 part one - and eventually it will also join my airwaves. I really enjoy the period radio while hunting...

Thanks again.

fred8615
07-22-09, 07:31 AM
All of them except for KOTR - the 60 part one - and eventually it will also join my airwaves. I really enjoy the period radio while hunting...

Thanks again.

Yeah, on that one when I finished I kept thinking of the old Bugs Bunny line, "Could it be I've carried this thing too far? Ehh, could be."

Munchausen
07-22-09, 12:39 PM
...why is it still linked from the main SUBSIM download page?

As Fred pointed out (thanks, Fred), the Captain left a little bug in his add-on that only bites when you get to a certain point in your career. If you're lucky enough to be in home port at the time (or you don't start your career until a later date), you get a game crash. And have no idea what caused it. But it always happens on the same day.

You can either fix the problem manually or use a tool that checks all your radio files. Somebody could probably fix the original download but that kind of thing is frowned upon unless the guy who made it gives his permission. In this case, the guy is no longer around. So the problem persists.

Akula4745
07-22-09, 06:40 PM
Ok, Munch... thank you for the extra info, good sir. Do we have any idea when the CTD date is? I would certainly be willing to run thru the event.ini file and fix the problem... a ballpark idea would help tho. :hmmm:

Kloef
07-23-09, 04:46 AM
There is one way they will. If you have an event.ini that calls for a file and it isn't there, or is misnamed, it will cause a CTD. Even if you're not listening to that particular station. It's easy to spot because it always cause the CTD at the same in-game time and date.Correct,i had this problem too and after removing the radio mod i was able to play again,the save file was corrupted..i think it has something to do with a sound file playing on a certain day and time and another file is used in error causing the CTD..

I looked up the topic that was made at the time:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=141627

Akula4745
07-23-09, 11:14 AM
Here are the errors I found with the radio add-on - Captain Midnights CBS Radio Mod:

1) The file: 1941-12-082130NBCBNews is listed without the .mp3 suffix in the events.ini file (start time: 2130)

2) 1943-07-25_WorldNewsToday.mp3 - needs to be renamed to - 1943-07-25-WorldNewsToday.mp3 (start time: 1700)

3) 1945-04-15-WorldNewsToday.mp3 was not included in the events.ini (start time: 1700)

I guess eventually I will find out out if these are all the errors... or if I missed one. LOL Thanks for bringing it to my attention and all the help, gents!

The Radio Station Manager is worth its weight in gold!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=592

Munchausen
07-23-09, 03:17 PM
The Radio Station Manager is worth its weight in gold!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=592

:03: Yes, it is. So much so, I left the link to it in the quote above.

I wish there was some way to fix this. Since it's not a game bug, per se, few people see the fix until too late ... sometimes spending hours trying to figure which mod has caused the crash. And nobody seems to want to add a fixed version, of what would otherwise be an exceptional radio mod, to a "superpack."

Carotio
07-23-09, 04:05 PM
a fixed version?

well, I made one plus a h3ll of a lot more to it...

Intercontinental Radio Pack (http://www.silenthuntermods.com/forum/index.php?topic=28.0)

I thought Akula4745 allready had gotten it:hmmm:
Downgrading....?

Akula4745
07-23-09, 07:47 PM
No sir... had to reinstall win XP - so I had lost the files.
Thanks for reminding me! LOL

Carotio
07-24-09, 04:48 AM
No sir... had to reinstall win XP - so I had lost the files.
Thanks for reminding me! LOL

you're welcome, but have you ever heard of having an extra internal or external harddrive? I have NEVER lost files due to format and reinstall - well, not files which mattered. I don't hope you lost crucial personal files such as documents and photos?

Akula4745
07-24-09, 11:00 AM
I have a couple of external drives actually... but gaming files are of very low priority and are seldom included in my backups. And thanks for asking... but no sir I did not lose anything important... regular backups got everything stored away nicely... which is good because I have several rather large web projects going right now. LOL

Maybe I need to start including some of these large SH4 files in my backups.

Munchausen
07-24-09, 03:27 PM
a fixed version?
well, I made one plus a h3ll of a lot more to it...

:hmmm: Nice website. But I don't see Captain Midnight mentioned anywhere.

fred8615
07-24-09, 05:14 PM
It's part of his Intercontinental Radio Pack.