PDA

View Full Version : So easy to detect friends from foe

kstanb
07-16-09, 04:17 PM
Hi, I am new to SHIV, I am playing it with Real fleet boat mod,
I have a couple of really newbie questions

1) Something that kind of kill the realism aspect is the fact that it is very easy to detect friend from foe by just looking at time compression

Friendly contacts don't cancel time compression, while everytime I get an enemy contact, a pop-up alert appears asking me what I want to do next

Is it possible to modify the time compression rules? something like SHIII Commander where you can define 8x for ships and 1x everytime a plane is spotted.

2) Is it possible to bring the chronometer to the navigational chart? I am trying to do manual speed calculations and the chronometer can be really handy

SteveUK
07-16-09, 06:23 PM
Sorry can't help you with the first question but with

2) Is it possible to bring the chronometer to the navigational chart?

Press X

And welcome aboard :DL

Munchausen
07-16-09, 06:24 PM
For time compression, there are some options available in the SH4 folder of "My Documents" ... Main configuration file.

kstanb
07-16-09, 11:11 PM
thanks a lot!

a pitty there is no "AirFriendDetected= " / "FriendDetected= "

[TIME COMPRESSION]
AirEnemyDetected=1
EnemyDetected=8

Sailor Steve
07-17-09, 11:21 AM
That's one of the things that got "worse" from SH3 to SH4. In SH3 it would kick back to 1x for any ship or aircraft spotted. The bad news was that you could spend hours trying to get out of your home port, since every two seconds you'd be back to 1x and hearing "Ship spotted, sir!" Of course you could set it for a faster TC when spotting ships, but then your crew would spot an enemy ship or plane and it would only drop to 8x, or whatever you had set it for, and you could be dead before you had time to react.

In SH4 they tried to fix it by removing the TC drop when a friendly is spotted, which leads to your (and my) complaint. Unfortunately there is no way to satisfy us all - either you know when the target is friendly or enemy, or you spend hours trying to get out of port and into the mission.

Munchausen
07-17-09, 12:46 PM
:cool: The Main configuration file is one that can be modified during a patrol (as opposed to waiting until in home port). If sailing out of Pearl, I usually make TC changes after crossing the International Date Line.

kstanb
07-17-09, 12:50 PM
but in SHIII, the port detection is not a big issue because you usually spot most ships docked at port relatively at the same time, so yes
you will have to adjust TC many times (10-15 times?), but I doubt that it will take more than a couple of minutes to be out of port

Moreover, a nice SHIV feature is the possibility to start patrol outside port

thanks!

Another small question, is there a keyboard command / key to change time compression to 1x ?
backspace changes it to 0x

SteamWake
07-17-09, 01:06 PM
Still even with this little trick I have and I'm sure others have sunk friendly vessels on a stormy black night.

Funny how you dont see the flag till the shot has been taken :rotfl: