PDA

View Full Version : Crew

Radox
07-12-09, 03:44 AM
Hi guys,

I'm running OM mod, but i'm pretty sure its the same in stock SH4.

When you get given your boat (u-boat) - and you are in your office you bring up the crew screen. There is nobody in conning tower, deck gun, AA gun, or crew berthing. I have a few questions:

1. Are you meant to fill all the empty spots on your boat with the list of sailors on the left.
2. What purpose does crew berthing serve in the game (i thought it was where crew racked out, but when they are off watch they dont go there).
3. The gun slots are empty, but there is nobody with gun skills in the crew list - what to do?
4. Do you have to fill those slots before you disembark for crew to auto-man the guns in battle stations? or do you always have to assign random peeps on contact?

Thanks.
R.

captgeo
07-12-09, 08:00 AM
These positions are left open for you to make a choice, all I can tell you is what I know.

The gun positions, I fill them with permanent crew ( at Base), the conning tower and crew berthing are left empty for the following reason.

If you look at the watch crew stations you will notice that the empty positions can be filled by these crew members, so what I do in emergency dive is take the watch crews and fill the conning tower with the officers first and the rest of the watch goes into crew berthing this way these crew members are not injured as easily during crash dive or depth charging. After you will have to put them back to their watch posts.

The conning tower on a U-Boat is not crewed like a fleet boat. Fleet boats had sonar and radar stations in the tower, while U-Boats have the stations off the command room.

I hope this help's out.

'

dcb
07-12-09, 08:18 AM
Here is the explanation for the existence of crew berthing:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1013763&postcount=952

Radox
07-12-09, 08:56 AM
OK i understand moving topside to conning tower and crew berth, thanks for that.

As for the gun crews - if everyone has a job other than gunners. Who do you fill the gun slots with when you want to engage?

On my recent patrol i wanted to sink a ship with my deck gun, so i moved the stern torpedo guys there. Is that what you guys do?

dcb
07-12-09, 09:28 AM
On my recent patrol i wanted to sink a ship with my deck gun, so i moved the stern torpedo guys there. Is that what you guys do?

That's how the author of Ops Monsun recommends the game to be played. Take people from other compartments and man the deck gun during the surface attack, then return them to their original jobs.