PDA

View Full Version : some questions about stock SH4

theworldover
07-10-09, 01:31 PM
Greetings all!

I've been trolling around this forum since I got SHIII, and love GWX 3.0. I still have a copy of Janes 688(i) installed on my computer...what a game! lol But I recently decided to sign up because I've got some questions that I can't seem to find the answers to for my stock version of SH4.

So here goes:

1) I know that in SHIII, we are advised to leave task forces alone, because they are dangerous to engage and they don't really count toward our total tonnage. But I was curious as to how US sub command felt about it, i.e. is it worth it for me to investigate and/or engage task forces? Or should I stick to merchants?

2) Playing my career, I started in Dec. 1941 in the Asiatic Fleet. Patrols have worked out such that when I depart on my current patrol, after a day at sea, I receive FOX traffic sating something like this: "Japanese invasion of Java imminent X All patrol craft in the area requested to assist." So my question is this: should I turn around and attempt to assist? Will there actually be an invasion/invasion force that I can interact with? Or should I just continue on my patrol? If there IS an invasion force, where would it be?

Thanks in advance!

AVGWarhawk
07-10-09, 01:46 PM
1) Yes, go after task forces. You get credit and you are the big man on campus if you sink one of the big boys:03:

2) I think most of those messages are a bit of fluff, but, there should be enough traffic in the stock game that most would be non-the-wiserif they were close enough to make a patrol of that area. (if you are interested in something like that go get RSRD(Run Silent Run Deep). This mod handles historical traffic and you are directed to were these things take place. Excellent mod if you are into that type of play.

captgeo
07-10-09, 01:52 PM
question #1.....YES , the Japanees are somewhat less of an opponent.

question 2.....if you can make it in 48 hrs to the North West corner of Borneo( I dont think its Java) the first port you see south of that, you can intercept a large invasion force either entering or leaving that port.

Welcome Aboard.

theworldover
07-20-09, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys! the RSRD mod is wonderful...keeps the realism tolerable, but makes the game more fun...I appreciate it!

Armistead
07-20-09, 05:45 PM
RSRD has a large Java invasion force of over 50 ships. I found it coming through the narrow pass between Tawi Tawi and Jolo. Loaded down with cargo one M10 was blowing them out of the water.

I spend most of my time tracking the historical convoys and TF than I do in the patrol zone. Right now I am fighting a 35 ship convoy.

No doubt RSRD is the best mod out there........