PDA

View Full Version : Major battles like coral sea (NOOB)

alexman
07-08-09, 12:38 PM
Hi im new to this forum and only played sh4 for about a week (and loving it). I have a hard time finding boats so could anyone give me a tip for a good hunting ground. Also i been looking around coral sea may 4 and i cant find and large battle, is so that there are no "real" battles in the game do you have to have the mod rsrd. Last is there any way to travel fast and avoid planes and not be forced to dive every minute. Is it possiple to find the carrier they come from?

AVGWarhawk
07-08-09, 12:44 PM
Welcome aboard! I recommend you visit the mod forums. RSRD (run silent run deep) will handle your major naval engagements and the outragious aircraft.

peabody
07-08-09, 01:04 PM
Hi im new to this forum and only played sh4 for about a week (and loving it). I have a hard time finding boats so could anyone give me a tip for a good hunting ground. Also i been looking around coral sea may 4 and i cant find and large battle, is so that there are no "real" battles in the game do you have to have the mod rsrd. Last is there any way to travel fast and avoid planes and not be forced to dive every minute. Is it possiple to find the carrier they come from?

If you are playing the stock game without any MODs then there will almost always be ships in the location you are send. If you are playing a MOD that will make a difference and you should ask those who use the MOD.

The Coral Sea battle is in the game, but remember there was no ship to ship fighting, they used carriers and the most you will see if ships shooting at planes. And the groups that make up the battle start their travel on the 3rd, so by the time they get to where you expect to see them, it is probably sometime between the 6th and the 8th.

Travel fast and avoid planes near a carrier is almost impossible. Finding the carrier is almost impossible unless you get lucky, since you have to avoid the planes by diving and can only do about 8 knots at flank and the batteries will drain quickly. Also while you are doing 8 knots submerged, the carrier is going about 20 knots, so unless he is headed in your direction, you will have a hard time finding him.

Peabody

Armistead
07-08-09, 01:15 PM
The stock game doe's a poor job with the large battles compared to RSRD.
RSRD has many more battles, convoys are better laid out with the exact ships. I've found the Coral sea TF a few times now. You can see some major surface against surface action in the right battles such as the Solomons, Leyte and several minor battles. It's fun to get in the middle of a large surface battle and help out. The battle sounds are great when the two fleets open up on each other.

Not much you can do about the planes in stock except stay submerged and use time compression during the day and surface at night. Do yourself a favor and load one of the supermods and RSRD...improves the game and graphics 100%

alexman
07-08-09, 02:04 PM
Wow this site is really active thx for the replys. About the rsrd mod ive read that its boring coz its realistic and really hard to find ship is this true? And that you have to use a real map to know where the ships are.

AVGWarhawk
07-08-09, 02:07 PM
Wow this site is really active thx for the replys. About the rsrd mod ive read that its boring coz its realistic and really hard to find ship is this true? And that you have to use a real map to know where the ships are.

Traffic is more historic so, yes, at times it can be slow. Then at other times it can go just nuts with ships. You do not need a real map to know were ships are. You use your head and think were a surface skimmer might take his route. Usually it pans out for you. Give it a try. Also, you are sent to assigned patrol areas. There will be ship. Just got to find'em. If it is not working for you just deactivate.

alexman
07-08-09, 02:39 PM
uhm can anyone send me a download link to rsrd for tmo i looked around and cant find it

Armistead
07-08-09, 02:53 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219

Is the link to the mod's. Look at the sticky at the top and you will see all the mods listed. If you want to run TMO and RSRD here is what you will need. TMO is being updated to 1.8, but not quite ready, so you still want 1.7

TriggerMaru_Overhaul_17
TMO_Hotfix_041709
MaxOptics & SCAF fix TMO1.7_41109
RSRDC_TMOv170_V411
RSRDC_V411_Patch1

All the info will be on the first post in each thread and have links for all that you need.

If you need help installing the mods, let us know.

alexman
07-08-09, 03:10 PM
uhm yea i may need some more help what is this JSGME ive heard about, do i need it? also do i just drag and drop data folder into game dir?

(sry for being such a NOOB)

AVGWarhawk
07-08-09, 03:14 PM
Yes you need JSGME:yep:

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html

Download and follow the instructions. If you get stuck come on back and we will work you through it:03:

PS. When you have JSGME installed you create a folder inside you SH4 main folder. Name it MODS. This is were you will extract any mods such as TMO or RSRD.

alexman
07-08-09, 03:35 PM
ok its done now i didnt put them in the mod folder (missed that) but i picked import from tasks and installed them in the right order but missed to take a snapshot to... anyway im about to test it, do i need to have the mod enabler running?

AVGWarhawk
07-08-09, 04:02 PM
If you created that MODS folder inside the main SH4 folder then excellent. You need to EXTRACT the .rar file of TMO and RSRD. Extract them directly to you newly created MODS folder in SH4 main folder. Once done, click on the JSGME icon to open the program to activate. You should see the mods on the list, left hand side. Click on TMO then click the arrow in the middle of the interface to activate. The mod will move to the right side of the interface. Do the same with RSRD. Once you activated all the mods close out JSGME and fire up the game. These mods will stay activated until you decide to deactivate them in JSGME.

PS, JSGME will warn of file being overwritten when you attempt to activate RSRD after TMO. That is fine, click OK:03: