PDA

View Full Version : Random CTD's

Captain Birdseye
06-28-09, 11:48 AM
Hi guys,

Whenever I play the game for an extended period of time I always seem to get CTD's when click buttons on the interface. I know it isn't virtual memory as my RAM is 2GB and i'm running XP.

Is this normal for 1.4, will it get better when I get 1.5? or am I doomed to a fiery depth of desktopness forever?

captgeo
06-28-09, 07:30 PM
Some of those issue's were dealt with in the U-Boat addon or 1.5.

kylesplanet
06-28-09, 11:37 PM
I'm not a lot of help in this area but what card do you have? It could be getting hot, some have had that problem.

Webster
06-28-09, 11:57 PM
v1.5 does use less computer resources than v1.4 does so it will help.

you should try rebooting the computer before playing sh4 and that should clear your temp internet files that use up a lot of memory capacity.

running disk cleanup utilities will help avoid ctd issues from having limited memory and defragging is always a good idea too if you havent done it in a while.

T.Von Hogan
06-29-09, 12:10 AM
Hi guys,

Whenever I play the game for an extended period of time I always seem to get CTD's when click buttons on the interface. I know it isn't virtual memory as my RAM is 2GB and i'm running XP.

Is this normal for 1.4, will it get better when I get 1.5? or am I doomed to a fiery depth of desktopness forever?

The problem you describe sounds like a virtual memory problem or a problem with your videocards settings. I use a 2.2 gig processor with only a gig and a half RAM and a 512mg ati agp videocard also running xp and have logged hundreds or thousands of hours of gameplay without a crash no longer how long i play and i'm retired so play at length at times lol.

I have my paging file custom set as large as i could get it (4095mb) so windows dosn't chew on my harddrive .

I did experiance some problems simular to what you describe the 1st week of gameplay and it turned out to be a conflict in my videocard settings. The software for my new card had set the agp at x8 which the game wouldn't tolerate, i lowered the agp to 4x and been going ever since.

Maybe look at things thru your device manager, make sure there are no conflicts, make sure all your videocard settings are set where they need to be. Make sure windows isn't controlling your paging file, do regular maintenace on your harddrive, and if all else fails get your memory sticks tested to make sure they are still good.

Brenjen
07-06-09, 10:42 PM
I know this is a little old but I just wanted to thank T. Von Hogan; I had recently reformatted my hard drive & upon reinstalling all my SH4 stuff I started getting some all too frequent CTD's.....I couldn't even complete on mission. I forgot to readjust my page file until I read this & that seems to have done the trick!

So thanks; I probably wouldn't have thought about setting that back up had I not read your post! :yeah:

Edit: Well it happened again but at least I got to play quite some time before it did; I must have a memory module going teets up