PDA

View Full Version : SecuROM is ruining my SH4 experience

Urge
06-27-09, 11:00 PM
I was having a problem saving games and started a thread about it

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153134

but I finally decided to just reinstall. Now I get the following message: Wrong disc inserted. Please insert the original "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific" CD/DVD. Please have a look at Wrong disc inserted. Please insert the original "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific" CD/DVD. Please have a look at

[/URL][url]http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=wrongdisc (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=202)

for further, more detailed information. Then I get this little slap in the face...Wrong disc inserted

SecuROM™ has determined a disc different than the original or play-disc was detected. This could be caused by a backup copy, or in the case of a multiple disc set, the wrong disc was inserted before starting the program. Please follow these steps to help resolve the issue:

Please ensure the correct disc is inserted.
If the problem persists, or you need additional assistance, please send a SecuROM™ analysis file to support@securom.com (see Support Info (http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis&&l=en%27) section on how to prepare and send an analysis file).

I just know that SecuROM trip isn't going to be any fun and will probably last for days or worse.
I read the thread on reinstalling SH4 and I just don't know what the problem could be. This is a legal UBI CD. It's not a backup copy or anything else. I have installed the game twice before with no problems. The game will start and play if I put the SH4 disc in but who wants to do that everytime. I'm so angry and frustrated I almost used a smiley. Hey, I gotta tip on a hot torpedo if you can help me out.

Urge

Stormende
06-27-09, 11:12 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=202

OK that link will send anyone to the Post New Thread page so I don't think that is the place you want to send people.

Seems that your Play disk got damaged some how since the key can't be read by the anti piracy program, that is not new so your best option here will be to contact them. Have you tried to clean it? That kind of programs have some kind of timer so if they do not read the key, won't retry.

By personal experience can tell you that windows net frame 1.1 acts weird with the game anti piracy's program too specially if you have the version 3.5 I believe. Check if one of your latest updates for your OS is not this net frame 1.1

Urge
06-28-09, 12:01 AM
OOPS I fixed the bad link.

Stormende wrote...
Seems that your Play disk got damaged some how since the key can't be read by the anti piracy program,

So, you are saying I need to clean the disc and then reinstall SH4 to see if that solves the problem? I checked my dot net files and v. 3.0 and 3.5 were installed in March of this year(I originally installed SH4 in April of last year). But I just reinstalled it last week and it worked, although I ended up uninstalling it because of the no save problem.

Urge

Stormende
06-28-09, 12:50 AM
OOPS I fixed the bad link.

Stormende wrote...

So, you are saying I need to clean the disc and then reinstall SH4 to see if that solves the problem? I checked my dot net files and v. 3.0 and 3.5 were installed in March of this year(I originally installed SH4 in April of last year). But I just reinstalled it last week and it worked, although I ended up uninstalling it because of the no save problem.

Urge

If I would be you, surely will try to clean or polish the disk first, if that doesn't work then I will contact the company to get a replacement or whatever solution they give me. A download version will be nice, that way they save money on discs.

I had problems with the net files just yesterday, had to reinstall SH4 and U-Boat Missions last night and the installation halted giving me some weird error, checked everything and the only thing my puter did was to download a net 1.1 update, don't know why it did it since I have the 3.5 already installed. Restored puter before this update, and the install process finished without problem.

Armistead
06-28-09, 11:40 AM
Why I deleted SecuRom. However it's a complex tweak any game you play can recreate the files, but to me it's worth it.

It's not as bad as Starforce, but I hate it's come down to this. Should you decide to try it, you can find all the info searching delete SecuRom.

Urge
06-28-09, 03:03 PM
I uninstalled again defragged cleaned disc reinstalled defragged same issue. I just installed this last week and didn't have this problem. Nothing has changed on my machine except SH4. As far as getting rid of SecuROM from what I read that means I can't play SH4. Other stuff I read said maybe SecuROM was unhappy with some of my software but it hasn't changed. I'm wondering if I could have leftover registry keys. I read the how to re-install SH4 thread but the key he mentions is for v1.4. Wouldn't it be a different key for v.1.5? How would I know what that is/was? Is there also a different key for the original game unpatched? This is just wrong! I only have ONE game that I play, I bought it retail and now they are going to make me put in the disc everytime I play? Almost makes me wanna be a pirate. I ran the secuROM analysis so I guess I'll send it in but this is such #!%&*@$!

Urge

AVGWarhawk
06-28-09, 03:09 PM
Urge, what key are you talking about? I have no key for my disc. I did a complete reinstall last night on Vista without issue at all. Into my first patrol:D

Ummm, you complete uninstall. You did remove the folder in Documents that is labeled SH4 correct? Complete uninstall means just that, get rid of everything related to SH4 before you reinstall.

Let me know about the complete uninstall. I do not know of anyone having an issue with Securom and this game....other than a few thinking Securom is taking over their lives and draining their bank accounts but that is a whole other thread. :shifty:

BTW, patch 1.4 I believe eliminated having to put in the disc to start the game. So, did you get rid of all your patches as well and start fresh as the driven snow?

Stormende
06-28-09, 03:21 PM
I ran the secuROM analysis so I guess I'll send it in but this is such #!%&*@$! Urge

LOL

Sorry man, could not resist but yes, I feel your pain.

I had issues installing the game with vista ultimate, tried a few things and still refused to install properly. I ended installing XP and dual booting my puter, didn't pursue the vista fix at all because I just wanted to play the darn game not to diagnose all the variables involved with the problem. Please keep us posted about whatever answer you get from secuROM, it might be interesting and probably this hassle will help others in the future.

AVGWarhawk
06-28-09, 03:32 PM
:06:I play SH4 on Vista 64 Home Premium. No problems at all. Something else is going on that is screwing with your game. Did you read the stickied thread on installing SH4 on a Vista OS?

Stormende
06-28-09, 04:52 PM
:06:I play SH4 with Vista 64 Home Premium. No problems at all. Something else is going on that is screwing with your game. Did you read the stickied thread on installing SH4 on a Vista OS?

Probably your are right but I had no patience to work on vista will all the secure stuff and administrator rights, gets old pretty quick and I just wanted to play a darn game not to hack into Fort Knox.

:nope:

Yeah I have read that thread but not all of it, maybe in the future I will try to find out but for now I am just fine with XP for gaming.

AVGWarhawk
06-28-09, 06:05 PM
Probably your are right but I had no patience to work on vista will all the secure stuff and administrator rights, gets old pretty quick and I just wanted to play a darn game not to hack into Fort Knox.

:nope:

Yeah I have read that thread but not all of it, maybe in the future I will try to find out but for now I am just fine with XP for gaming.

Well, here is the deal, Windows 7 will still have the security stuff like Vista but not as intrusive. Eventually it will be inevitable.

SteamWake
06-28-09, 06:12 PM
Dude...

How to re-install SH4

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290

Urge
06-29-09, 11:09 PM
R.L. intrudes at the most inopportune moments. I spent the day cobbling together a puter from pieces and parts to replace one that died(1995 vintage) at my business.

SteamWake wrote...
Dude...
How to re-install SH4

I read it (twice).

Stormende wrote
I had issues installing the game with vista ultimate, tried a few things and still refused to install properly.

I'm running XP pro.

AVGWarhawk wrote...
Urge, what key are you talking about?

How to re-install SH4!
3. Now, in the Registry, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall{{0D005F09-A5F4-473B-A901-5735C6AF5628} key. [This was the designation associated with SH4 version 1.4] Delete that key (looks like a file/folder).

4. You can also, in addition, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubisoft folder and delete all the Silent Hunter folder(s) there......you will have one or two or more. These don't seem to have any direct effect, but you can do without them. I'd say get rid of them. I did. [Note that it is this entry which identifies the specific designation of the associated key/file which you should delete from the previously mentioned HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall folder]

I bought SH4 in March of 08. I was researching and building a new computer at the time and didn't actually start playing until April. So I had time to read the forums and learn about the patches and mods. When I installed SH4 I immediately patched it to v.1.4 before I ever turned it on. I knew nothing of SecuROM at the time.

A week or 2 ago, after 15 months of playing SH4, I decided it was time to reinstall(my torpedos were starting to miss). I had no problems with the install but a problem developed with saving games and got to the point where I could no longer save games so time to start over-again. So, 2 or 3 uninstalls/reinstalls later I'm looking at this SecuROM message and raging. On the last install I decided to check it at each step of the way to see where it was messing up. My goal being a working v1.5. I did the basic setup with the factory disc which I believe said v1.2 and then tried to run it which is where I got the SecuROM message. And then...

AVGWarhawk wrote...

BTW, patch 1.4 I believe eliminated having to put in the disc to start the game.

I never knew that! So, I applied the v.1.4 patch and voila no more SecuRom message. I upgraded to v.1.5 and it works. I feel like an idiot but I just didn't know.

So hey, the Sam Adams are on me and I know this good time girl, I think her name is Jenny, give her a call. I believe her number is 867-5309. Me, I going to go and pull the trigger on a few Marus.

Urge

AVGWarhawk
06-30-09, 07:24 AM
I never knew that! So, I applied the v.1.4 patch and voila no more SecuRom message. I upgraded to v.1.5 and it works. I feel like an idiot but I just didn't know.

End result is it is working as designed. For that, all of this was worth it :yeah: