PDA

View Full Version : What a main menu bug?

141st_Alper
06-19-09, 07:54 AM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8691/sorunp.jpg
Guys i had this problem for a long time. I cant play silent hunter 4 and u-boat expansion pack for like 3 months and im bored of this ****. I am using windows xp sp3 and i really dont understand why i got this. Before it works perfectly on xp. I tryed on vista sp1 to and same problem. And when i install the u-boat expansion pack, after intro it load normally and after that game suddenly stop and i cant see main menu. Anyone know how to fix it? I wanna play this sim. I hope you guys help me. :x:wah::(

AVGWarhawk
06-19-09, 08:41 AM
Looks like a video card problem. What do you have for a video card?

Armistead
06-19-09, 08:43 AM
V.1.0?.............

141st_Alper
06-19-09, 08:53 AM
Looks like a video card problem. What do you have for a video card?

My computer is Sapphire HD4870, Processor : AMD 4600+ 2.4 Ghz And 2Ghz 800mhz ram. I play this game before perfectly. All graphics are high at 1280x1024. But after i reinstall computer to vista, i had this problem, now im using xp but still same :(

V.1.0?.............

I dont think its about version. If i install U-boat expansion pack, game is never start. Intro come but i cant enter main menu.

AVGWarhawk
06-19-09, 09:59 AM
Ah, look at my running SH4 on Vista thread. It is sticked at the top of this forum :03:

I run SH4 on Vista 64 without issue. You can to. Check that forum.

Pisces
06-19-09, 10:09 AM
Chances are you installed it in Program Files and the 1.5 update didn't save the modified files. Vista is very picky about who touches those files in Program Files, and therefore disallowed it. Do yourself a favour and reinstall the game outside of it. (Aswel as any other applications that need modifications to files you need to make)

141st_Alper
06-19-09, 12:26 PM
I install outside of program files but still same guys. I tryed on my both drivers(c and d) but nothing changed. Im tryed without any patch and u-boat expansion pack. I forgot anything to do?

AVGWarhawk
06-19-09, 12:46 PM
Set your video card via your vid card program to the default settings. In other words, just like it was freshly installed with no tweeks. Do that and start the game. If it runs and looks normal then you are ok. Go back and reset the card back up to the tweeks you liked. That should do it.

141st_Alper
06-19-09, 12:59 PM
I set it to default settings as you say but nothing changed mate. What a curse upon me? :oops:

Stormende
06-19-09, 01:22 PM
Have you tried to update the catalyst driver directly from ATI?

I had a similar problem when running the game crossfired with an old catalyst provided by HIS and the game never made it past the intro movies, it always crashed to desktop (CTD) or froze requiring to reboot the machine, once I installed the latest update the game worked. Now I am using an Nvidia card (8800 GT SC from EVGA) which runs the game as silk, no hassle at 16 AF 16q AA with no less than 60 FPS attacking convoys!

:sunny:

141st_Alper
06-19-09, 02:03 PM
Upgraded. Didnt work.:(

Stormende
06-19-09, 02:11 PM
Does the puter freezes, CTD or you just get a message telling you: SH4 stopped working blah, blah, blah?

Before you installed the new driver, did you completely uninstalled the old one? Windows is very lazy and loves to keep old drivers in the data base.

PS. Check that you AA is set to whatever # but 4x, I read somewhere that some cards will crash or give black screens, mines didn't but it doesn't hurt to try.

UPDATE

Do this also:
* Check that you have DX9 fully installed - Download it from the microsoft site if needed.
* Download this program, it is awesome to teak your card with options that Catalyst doesn't have.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Tray-Tools-1.3.6.1042-download-733.html

* Run Ati Tools and there is an option that will benchmark your card, run it for 15 minutes or so, if your card crashes it is more likely that it is defective, yeah it might be possible, that is why I replaced my Atis for Nvidias since I could not run CF anymore, there was no point on keeping only one. Be sure you benchmark it NOT overclock it!

* Also you can run a DXDiag and see if the card crashes as well.

* The last thing I can think of, go to your UBI/Silent Hunter dir and run the game using GU.EXE, it will check for updates and then load the game. - Doesn't hurt to try.

If I can think of something else, I will let you know. If you solve the problem, post it so someone else can get help by your experience.

;)

141st_Alper
06-19-09, 02:38 PM
I reinstalled game after update but still same. Theres no SH4 stopped message i gEt, I can see main menu normally. Musics and background videos is working good. But the buttons is cant clickable. Just i can click exit to windows button and exit game. If its possible to control that main menu buttons with arrows maybe i can enter the game. But i dont think it gonna work.

141st_Alper
06-19-09, 04:37 PM
UPDATE

Do this also:
* Check that you have DX9 fully installed - Download it from the microsoft site if needed.
* Download this program, it is awesome to teak your card with options that Catalyst doesn't have.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Tray-Tools-1.3.6.1042-download-733.html

* Run Ati Tools and there is an option that will benchmark your card, run it for 15 minutes or so, if your card crashes it is more likely that it is defective, yeah it might be possible, that is why I replaced my Atis for Nvidias since I could not run CF anymore, there was no point on keeping only one. Be sure you benchmark it NOT overclock it!

* Also you can run a DXDiag and see if the card crashes as well.

* The last thing I can think of, go to your UBI/Silent Hunter dir and run the game using GU.EXE, it will check for updates and then load the game. - Doesn't hurt to try.

If I can think of something else, I will let you know. If you solve the problem, post it so someone else can get help by your experience.

;)

Hi mate, I cant see benchmark button or anything about benhcmark in this program. I downloaded ati tool too and it dont have to.(Theres 2 ati tool)
Anyway it dont fix my problem. I use some settings on ati tray tool(not ati tool) and that main menu loading time is just reduced. But not more. And i have directx9.0c version, and nothing wrong with DirectX.

I dont have GU.exe now. I just installed sh4 not the u-boat expansion or any patch to game. GU.exe come with u-boat i think. But no worries i try this GU.exe too and didnt work.

I dont have any problem with my graphic card so i dont think it gonna failure in benchmark tests in ati tools. When i buy this card, that bios is written wrong. Thats the one problem i had with my graphic card. That bios makes frozen on games, but i update it some months ago, it works pretty cool now. But not in silent hunter series :(, I am now searching for other methods with ati tool and try something. I will report here if i succes. Thanks for everything guys. Please post here if you guys have any idea about it. I though that problem is about vista, but im wonder how it didnt work on xp too. Really interesting.

Stormende
06-19-09, 05:04 PM
Hmmm Don't you have access to a different video card?

If you do not have an old one, try to borrow one from a friend, but I can bet the problem is the card or the driver. Sorry I can't help you but at least we tried.

:D

141st_Alper
06-19-09, 06:30 PM
I think last time i played sh4, i must be using catalsy 8.11. I will try this driver. Thanks for help again Stormende, AVGWarhawk and Pisces.

141st_Alper
06-21-09, 12:45 PM
Guys i fix the problem. I just remove intro files at Data/Movies/Intro folder and it fixed. IM SO HAPPY:DL:D:haha: Hope it helps to other friends who got this problem.

Stormende
06-22-09, 04:36 PM
I am glad you fix the problem, man and do appreciate you posted the fix so anyone having the same problem can benefit by your experience.

Thankx!

:up: