PDA

View Full Version : Changing the submarine's name to USS-some name

SgtPotato
06-17-09, 07:49 PM
Sorry, guys. I couldn't find the thread about how to change the submarine's name to "USS-_________" by opening up with notepad. Can you guys point me to the right direction of a link? Thanks. :D

captgeo
06-17-09, 07:53 PM
I do not know where it might be on this fourm, but here is a link to UBI that deals with that subject.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/3011039085?r=4971074185#4971074185

and welcome aboard mate !!

SgtPotato
06-17-09, 09:12 PM
oh thanks, man. That's what I'm looking for. :up:

mookiemookie
06-17-09, 09:41 PM
Bad luck! :nope: :O:

captgeo
06-17-09, 09:49 PM
Bad luck! :nope: :O:

OK, explain please, what is the "bad luck" part.......hmmmmm

Wicked Popsicle
06-17-09, 10:58 PM
right when I changed the name of my boat I died on the mission. But of course I play the way of rambo on 100%. I usually die on the 2nd or 3rd mission anyway:hmmm:

Stealhead
06-17-09, 11:15 PM
For a long time it has be considered bad luck to change the name of ship after it has be comissioned. The only exception is when a ship changes ownership from one navy to another.

Akula4745
06-18-09, 05:54 AM
right when I changed the name of my boat I died on the mission. But of course I play the way of rambo on 100%. I usually die on the 2nd or 3rd mission anyway:hmmm:

LOL Wicked!

Torplexed
06-18-09, 07:01 AM

Try changing your sub's name to USS Rambofish. When the enemy sees that black headband around the conning tower, they'll flee.

SgtPotato
06-18-09, 08:29 AM
Try changing your sub's name to USS Rambofish. When the enemy sees that black headband around the conning tower, they'll flee.

:har:

mookiemookie
06-18-09, 09:17 AM
When they raised the Squalus and got her back into service, they renamed her the Sailfish. All of the sailors who served on her knew her history though and called her the Squal-fish.

It's a case of renaming a ship not leading to bad luck; she survived the war and had 40,000 tons of sunk ships to show for it.

Or maybe it wasn't...the Squalfish sunk the Japanese aircraft carrier Chuyo which was carrying the survivors of the Sculpin (who was the boat who had found where the Squalus had gone down in 1939) as POWs. Only one of them survived the sinking.

Wicked Popsicle
06-18-09, 12:17 PM
I can name my boat the rambofish and put Duel M-60s on my boat to take on the japs and if a task force gets to close I gut them with my big rambo knife:arrgh!:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/rotten_rob/rambo.jpg

Task Force
06-18-09, 01:11 PM
There are some lines you have to change in the save file.:up:

oah and you died after changeing it... well you know what they say.

Highbury
06-18-09, 02:48 PM
When they raised the Squalus and got her back into service, they renamed her the Sailfish. All of the sailors who served on her knew her history though and called her the Squal-fish.

Well the sailors were threatened by Cmdr. Morton C. Mumma, Jr. (the fist Captain after re-commission) with being marooned at the next port of call if the referred to the ship as Squalus, so they came up with the nickname Squalfish. The Skipper liked that no better and threatened courts-martial if he heard it lol.

Stealhead
06-18-09, 07:37 PM
It is just an old sailor tradtion not to rename name a ship so long as it is in the same Navy so you could change the name if this ship went from the Navy to the Coast Guard. And if you belive in luck or not the Squalus/Sailfish did have the misfortune of killed her allies (even though the crew did not know POWs where aborad). in a strange way was it fate that a ceratin amount of men would die in realtion to the Squalus in some way shape or form its almost like it was Squalus was going to take the men that should have died inside her in 1939. Or could the bad arua around Squalus been so bad it even spread to the Sculpin two times over? Very weird if you sit and think about it.

Another old sailor thing. They used to think if you had a chicken and a pig tattooed on your feet it meant that youd survive if you went overboard or your ship sank. In the age of sail the crates they kept chickens in tended to stay afloat the longest.

mookiemookie
06-18-09, 09:22 PM
its almost like it was Squalus was going to take the men that should have died inside her in 1939..

I never thought of it that way. That makes me shiver. :o

Highbury
06-18-09, 10:06 PM
I think Squalus is a different sort of thing altogether. When USS Squalus sunk, she was decommissioned. All ships are when lost and struck from the Naval Register. When she was raised she was re-named USS Sailfish, then re-commissioned. The name was not changed while under commission.

As an ex-sailor who believes that Jonahs and curses do exist, I would have felt better about that ship being re-commissioned under a new name, as opposed to the old one, if I were going to serve on her.

Torpedoing a ship that had countrymen aboard was a misfortune that affected many boats that only sailed under one name, for Sailfish it was just bad luck IMO.

Stealhead
06-18-09, 11:04 PM
Of course the thing you must ask is was it the Squalus that was un-lucky or was it the very steel she was made of?Kind of like a battle feild from ancient times the name even of the land and country may have changed but the battle was still fought there. You could see the bad luck more than one way I do suppose.Or say luck is rubbish. At any rate if it was the very steel or just the Squalus at the very least that bad luck did not care for what nation the sailors she claimed where a part of she was after every sailor I guess. One thing though didnt they keep the same ship number?

Well one thing the cause of the sinking of Squalus was found and all subs after had a saftey feature added to prevent the very same thing from occuring again.I guess it just depends I dont belive something will happen to me if a black cat crosses my path but at the same time a few months back a buddy and I where working on my car and at one point he clamped this clothes pin on the shift neck for no reason and I have not taken it off but my wife went to remove it the other day and I told her not to. "She asked why and i told her "I dont know I just think it should stay." She told me I should throw salt over my shoulder each time before I get into the car.