PDA

View Full Version : Mark 27 Torpedos.....How do you use them?

aso544
06-05-09, 08:51 PM
Using TMO 1.7 and can not figure out how to use the aucustic homing torpedos....any help will be greatly appreciated

Stealhead
06-06-09, 12:13 AM
Depends on what version of the game you have. In stock you must go to (90ft max tube opening deapth) I load mine in the rear tubes. You must be silent running and stopped unless you want the 27 to hit you. In TMO you can go to 150ft(I think) and fire one but the trick is to set them on a course where you think the escourt after you is going to be in about 400 yards(maybe its 300) because that is when the thing begins seeking and it will seek the loudest sound it can hear within a certin degree of its nose.Then you just wait if you aimed right it will hit your escourt. The Mk.27 lacks power so it often cripples an escourt but hopefully that is enough to slow him down so that he cant pursue you and often they will sink a DD if the hit smack in the engines.It is a last ditch defence weapon for the most part the larger the ship the less the chance it will sink it. In fact pretty much 0% that it will sink anything over DD size.It is a bit trail and error learning how to use them well but once you understand them they can be useful. I like the fact that when one does hit something it often will confuse the Japs giving a chance to get away while they go after where they think the 27 came from.(The Japs did not know we had a homing fish so they will assume it was fired as regular fish and there fore trace back where they think it "came" from.:know:

Armistead
06-06-09, 04:09 AM
They won't hit you if you're moving as long as your at periscope depth, unless you set them to run 30 feet. I do take my scope down because I actually had one hit my scope while it was up. Often if it get's off course, if I can, I use my subs noise to steer it towards a target. When I get it in the right direction, I'll cut engines off and it will follow on.

In TMO RSRD, if you come against a german or jap sub, they come in handy. I actually sank the german sub late war with them. I set to run 100 ft and they homed in and two sunk him.

In stock they do fair damage, really not worth carrying in TMO. I'll carry one or two. Sometimes get a damaged ship and I can't get up to periscope depth and will shoot by sonar.

As Stealhead said, you want short range as possible, I like around 500 yards, but if targets are going 10kts, you can get hits at 2000 yards. They have over 5000 yard range, but only go 12 knots.

Don't shoot them dead on, such as Down the Throat shots., want a decent angle or in the arse.

Main thing is to set them to run a foot under the keel, they do more damage.

Stealhead
06-06-09, 02:14 PM
I guess you could stay shallow but I dont risk the chance that it seek or hit me. I think of them as a confusion weapon if you have some escourts sailing in patters searching there is a pretty good chance it will hit something even if for little damage I like the confusion it generates.Another tirck to save costs is to add one each fitting out. That way after a few patrols you will have 3 sitting around. In the Real WWII the 27s became some what popular and they even used them on merchants. The Torsk got the last US sub kill in WWII via a cutie. I like them myself you just have to know when to use them.I save them for when I have been pinned for hours by escourts and have no other options. Even if it just blows a rudder off that DD will be out of action pretty much.I got once an Akauzi with one and it hit aft of the engines I was not happy it looked as though it would only been slown down by the hole looked minor but 10 minutes later it sank just from 95 lbs of toepex.:rock: