PDA

View Full Version : How common is it?

Lt Cmdr. Duke E. Gifford
06-03-09, 09:02 AM
Fooling around with quick missions in the stock game, I ran into several instances where I either saw a ship actually sink, or I saw a ship sinking, submerged, came up to periscope depth a few minutes later and it had gone under, and got no credit for sinking it. For example, I hit a Kongo battleship with 4 torpedoes, watched it go dead in the water, burning, bow down, and listing, and then submerged for 5 minutes or less. I popped up to look around, it was gone, the map showed it sank, but I got no credit. I hit a Shokaku carrier with 4, blew the stern off, watched it blow up, burn, and sink in less than a minute, and got no credit, but it showed as sunk on the map. I hit a Mogami with 3, watched it roll over and sink, and got no credit, but it showed as sunk on the map. Now, there have been times I saw one sink, it did not show on the map as sunk, and I got no credit. As well as times I saw one sinking, had to submerge, saw that it was gone later, did not see it on the map as sunk, and got no credit.

Now, the reason I ask, is that I want to make sure my stock game is good, especially before I add RFB, RSRD, or TMO, and also before I invest time in a career or a patrol. I rarely get to devote a lot of time to the game, usually a couple of hours or so, maybe 2-3 times a month. So I don't want to add a mod or get deep into a patrol or career only to find I've wasted a bunch of time and effort because of a game problem I might have been able to fix.

Frame57
06-03-09, 10:15 AM
I am not sure if the quick missions give you credit as you would get in a career. Very easy to find out though. Just sart a career in the Asiatic fleet which would put you close to the action then sink the first ship then check your patrol log.

Lt Cmdr. Duke E. Gifford
06-03-09, 10:28 AM
Normally the quick missions immediately show the ships sunk in the captain's log, and then when the mission is closed they show them on the mission report. The "missing" sinkings do not show up at all.

magic452
06-04-09, 04:08 AM
I started out like you are, stayed with stock till they sorted out the Super mods.
Try the single patrols instead of quick missions, something like Wounded Bear or Hellcat.
You can play them like a career by refitting. I took one of them clear to the end of the war and sank 1.25 Million tons, (stock is too easy) and never had your problem. At times a sunken ship would not show on the map but I always got credit. The Markassae Strait and Banda Sea are good hunting grounds at that point of the war.

Good luck and good hunting. Hope the problem sorts itself out.

Magic

Morpheus
06-04-09, 05:45 AM
stock 1.5 here

no, i dont have problems like you describe it, i always recive a logfile entry for that ship sunk.

Playing career modus only, dont know about single missions and or patrols.

kr morph

Jensthemens
06-04-09, 09:01 AM
Do you get a log entry if the ship sinks, but you yourself don't actually witness it?

Stealhead
06-04-09, 02:21 PM
I have never not recived credit for a ship. Sometimes it will not show up on the map but it always does in my log. I assume that when you hear the ship break up it the water they count that as I often dive after firing my fish and hear the kills but dont see them in the scope. However I had already ID them as what ever.
Even ships I did not see by sight but on radar and sound in fog it counted. In WWII they did not credit kills if the only proof was that they stopped showing up on radar. Seeing it by sight or by sound counted though those the data is clear with radar not so clear.

SteamWake
06-04-09, 03:16 PM
It used to be, and may still be that you had to actually witness the ship sink. Visually.

Just being in the area was not enough.

Lt Cmdr. Duke E. Gifford
06-04-09, 09:42 PM
Just had it happen again. I put 11 fish in a Yamato class battleship, watched it sink after the 11th fish. No "enemy unit destroyed" message, and no "ship sunk" in the captain's log.

Stealhead
06-04-09, 09:51 PM
Are you talking the game or real life? Cause I have 1.5 TMO 1.7 and it credits sinkings sounds over the hyrophone as well as by sight and even if it only shows on radar so long as my fish hit. I have seen a ship show as sunk on the radar a few times but I had not done any firing(no credit is this case) I guess some body got in the way of a larger ship. I know that they did allow the hearing of a ship breaking up as a kill in WWII often but that is no mistakeable if you saw the ship fired and hit her with torps heard the hits and could hear the things bulkheads bursting then there is no doubt it sank that is according to several books by former skippers.

Gifford are you playing in the free mission or the career mode? If you are talking about the free mission who cares then? In that free mission you can sink the Yamato 100 times. Id only care if it missed in the career mode.I have even had 0 ton life boats get counted as kills in career mode so I dont hink you have to worry about not getting you dues in career mode. It possaible that a given pcs abilites could have trouble with giving credit for some reason.

Armistead
06-04-09, 10:16 PM
Have you patched the game?

Are the sunk icons red or gray?

If you can see the ship, then something is wrong with you're game if you're doing the actual sinking.

It's probably happened to me twice in all my playing, but over and over as you describe, somethings not right.

Akula4745
06-04-09, 10:30 PM
How common? Well #$%!^&* it just happened to me. RFB + RSRD v1.52. ARGH! Four torpedoes - 3 hits + 1 dud. Within 3000 yards when it went down... no "she's going down call" - and no credit (empty log). I think you jinxed me, Lt Cmdr. Duke E. Gifford...

My evidence:
http://www.jimdeadman.com/no_credit.jpg

ARGH!!

Akula4745
06-05-09, 06:21 AM
I am still so sad.... sigh.

Stealhead
06-05-09, 01:08 PM
That is why you save your game the moment you get a big contact. I often will so if something does FUBAR I will be able to come back to recent save. I also do that because sometimes with TMO you might get into a very long fight and you know you cant save during one well you can but not if you want things to work when you re-load. I also save at 00:00 each night in the game prevents bugs.

Akula you have RFB right? If so did you sit and wait sometimes in RFB it can take a while for a ship to fully sink to the credit giving point. Did you see it slip under the waves or did it linger like in your picture? In TMO and stock that condtion is enough in RFB it wont count till the fat lady sings.I got one of the 8000 ton split deckers once in RFB it it did not count her until the only thing above water was about 10 feet of her stack.It is the natural sinking engine I like it myself but it can take some getting used to.I also see that you have 70 downloads RFB and RSRD are fine but if you stack alot of mods in JSGME that can also cause bugs.

Akula4745
06-05-09, 02:46 PM
Heya Stealhead,
Nah... watched her go under in the external view (love the eye candy). She sank for sure... just nailed another one a while ago and it counted. So we'll chalk it up to a fluke of the game... I just hate it when it cuts into my kill totals.

I have had em' sinking and lost them in the fog... and didn't really expect credit for those. But one you see go down should count... best I can figure. I sometimes go whole patrols without saving... prob should a bit more - but then I have had bad saves... so what the heck! LOL

Stealhead
06-05-09, 06:18 PM
That is why I save at night when I have no contacts I am always on the surface bats fully charged no fish being loaded nothing happending basicly. then I to the map or crew screen pause the game then save.By this method I can honestly saw I have never had any bad saves.I make a routine that way when I am ready to stop playing I always have a good point to get back into later.Dont know at what point you make your "official" saves at but Id say do them at night like that. I keep my "official" save file as the name of the given sub bug possiable bad save time saves I will add a number on the end. Also I make my "official" save each and every night(in the game).By the way if you get that dive planes bug that is how you solve it go back to the last save and it is fixed.It works well for a no ship bug as well simply go back and often you will find a contact in or about the same time and area you did before and do it again.

Lt Cmdr. Duke E. Gifford
06-05-09, 08:32 PM
Are you talking the game or real life? Cause I have 1.5 TMO 1.7 and it credits sinkings sounds over the hyrophone as well as by sight and even if it only shows on radar so long as my fish hit. I have seen a ship show as sunk on the radar a few times but I had not done any firing(no credit is this case) I guess some body got in the way of a larger ship. I know that they did allow the hearing of a ship breaking up as a kill in WWII often but that is no mistakeable if you saw the ship fired and hit her with torps heard the hits and could hear the things bulkheads bursting then there is no doubt it sank that is according to several books by former skippers.

Gifford are you playing in the free mission or the career mode? If you are talking about the free mission who cares then? In that free mission you can sink the Yamato 100 times. Id only care if it missed in the career mode.I have even had 0 ton life boats get counted as kills in career mode so I dont hink you have to worry about not getting you dues in career mode. It possaible that a given pcs abilites could have trouble with giving credit for some reason.

If you read my original message, you'll see that while I notice this in the quick missions, my concern is that there is a bug, or a problem with my install. I couldn't care less about score for the quick missions, I'm just concerned that I have a problem or bug that will carry over into the career mode, where not getting credit for ships sunk can screw up the way the career mode works and progresses.

My computer is plenty stout, it easily handles the game. I'm just concerned I may have a bug or a screwed up install. I want that fixed before I try to do a career, as I have very little spare time. I do not have enough spare time to have a bunch of it wasted by a problem like that part of the way through a career.

Armistead
06-05-09, 08:45 PM
Again, did you patch the game?

Never heard of such, other than bad mods which you don't have. If you patched of have the gold edition, not sure. I would try a reinstall, because no one I know playing has gone through that.

Akula, that's happened to me a few times, maybe once every career, but it's rare. TMORSRD will still give you the kill if you can't see it, like a storm, ect, just a gray icon, but you get credit.

I'll save once in awhile. Try to play realistic and not use saves. Never use em before a big battle, what happens happens.

Akula4745
06-05-09, 11:01 PM
Akula, that's happened to me a few times, maybe once every career, but it's rare. TMORSRD will still give you the kill if you can't see it, like a storm, ect, just a gray icon, but you get credit.

TMO is next on my list... trying to battle my way through a career in RFB - RSRD. I also wanna try RFB without RSRD just to see how much ship traffic is increased... all this searching for a target gets old - sometimes I just wanna kill something. LOL

Stealhead
06-06-09, 12:26 AM
I dont usually save when I get acontact either but I was just saying that you can. Why is saving not realistic? It is a game right? I do save mainly beacuse I dont have the time to deal with playing an entire patrol never saving much. I guess you like the "hard core" gamer thing though and that is cool if you like it that way but I dont. The whole dead is dead thing dose not jive with me as in real life if you die you are dead no statring a new career. In that light if someone where a true hard core gamer then in any given game after they have died one time they must remove the game from thier PC because they died in that game no more after you die:haha: I dont even play at 100% I have to have the free cam for something to look at and I use map contacts on because I went to see the USS. Drum and in the corner she has a plotting machine that the lower officers ran and so do I. Nothing personal it just seems that some guys all they do is brag about the hard core thing a nd it is not that special.Like I say I am not aiming at you Arimstead you dont really seem be the bragging type it just came to mind and I typed it.

Gifford I was not saying your PC is not good enough you could have a low end pc and have nothing wrong and a high end pc and something may still bug out.Only thing you can do is try the career mode and see what happens just be aware that there is a chance that once in a while you might get a no credit. What I would do is play a career and see if it does it to you there if not good to go if so load your last save and sink another ship see if you get the credit. I get that you dont want to waste time with problems but in way that is part of PC gaming you are going to get some bugs sometimes.I gurantee that you will see the dive planes bug it is pretty common ask any SH4 player. I dont really mess with the short missions so i cant say if the no sinkings are common or not in that mode but do know that no sinking creds are pretty rare in career mode.If you are in doubt re-install the game Id say and save at least once a day in career mode so you have a fall back if you get a bug.If you cant handel the chance that your career might bug out then dont play the game as even with a perfect install sometimes things go wrong.Of the many careers I have at any given time the entire time I have played this game I had one that bugged out completey on me it would not even load and I had about 15 diffrent careers at the time.Also in WWII sometimes skippers sunk ships but did not always get the credit that they should have now you know how they felt it is not really that big a deal in a gaming view and it happens pretty rarely in career mode Akula just has very bad luck if he ever meets a man who has been struck by lightning he had better not stand by any trees in thunderstorms.:har:

peabody
06-06-09, 02:50 AM
If you read my original message, you'll see that while I notice this in the quick missions, my concern is that there is a bug, or a problem with my install.

While there is a possibility of a problem with the install, they are other possibilities too. I know the first time I played the Battle of Samar quick mission, I put four torpedos into a Kongo BB and it was starting to sink. As it started to sink a plane dropped a bomb and it gave the final push to sink it. So the plane got the credit for sinking it, I did not. There are several missions that have planes in them, another is the Battle of Midway. So if you are playing a quick mission with other friendly planes or ships, they may be the ones that are actually giving the ship the final hit that actually causes it to be destroyed. If you are not the one that causes the final hit that destroys the ship you do not get the credit, even though it sinks. It happens more often than you would think.

Just a possibility.

Peabody

Stealhead
06-06-09, 02:24 PM
True in deed and in the end who cares so long as we send em all the bottom of the sea.

Lt Cmdr. Duke E. Gifford
06-07-09, 03:59 PM
I had considered the idea that something else might be getting credit. However, in the case of that last Yamato, I put ten in it, and watched while reloading. It took what appeared to be a couple of salvos from some sort of battleship, as I had slowed it from 16 knots to 1 knot. Then I got a tube loaded, and being within 1000 yards, I set it to high speed, and took the shot. I saw the torpedo hit, got the "torpedo impact" message, and saw explosions when the torpedo hit. It rolled over and sank within a minute or so, nothing else hit it, as it was already hit real hard and was listing and bow down.

On that Shokaku, I put four in it from 1000 yards, all on high speed, and nothing else hit it. As the four hit it, less than 5 seconds apart, it began burning and exploding after the second hit, and it was down within a couple of minutes, suffering no other hits. In fact, it sank so fast that I could not set up another shot. I knew I didn't need another shot, I was just going to see if it would help me get credit.

Score and credit are not what I play for, I like the challenge. I think I'll do a complete uninstall, and clean the registry, and then do a new clean install. I've been playing since around Christmas, and I don't remember but maybe one instance of this happening until recently, so maybe a clean install is the ticket. I'm just wanting to get it working right so a career might work out real well.