PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a run, and now need to run a new HD

Skybird
02-22-09, 07:08 AM
Since x-mas, the worm is in things over here.

first my TV broke, I got a new one.

then my digital receiver showed to be bad, it got replaced by a better one.

Then my PC monitor broke. It got replaced.

then my graphics board went into smoke. replaced.

I just have reinstalled the system ten days ago. Now my HD sends me a SMART alarm: health status 7%: replace, replace!

I used to trust in Samsung, but it seems not much Samsung HD stuff is around anymore, and people do not talk that good about them anymore. I want an IDE HD 3,5" with 250 GB. What is a trustworthy manufacturer for these devices? I heared good things about Seagate. While Maxtor is easily available in local stores.

Thanks for any hints.

Reece
02-22-09, 08:38 AM
Yes I still use and recommend Seagate, too many failures with Western Digital, I don't think much of Maxtor, Fujitsu used to be good but haven't seen any around for a long time, I'd stick with Seagate, the only annoying thing is the latest models are rather noisy, but I can live with it!!:yep:

CaptainHaplo
02-22-09, 10:24 AM
Seagate, Maxtor and WD are all viable hard drives. Each has its pro's and cons. I would look at some of the "green" series HD's now - quiet, cool and earth friendly.

Skybird
02-22-09, 12:43 PM
Each has its pro's and cons.
What are these company-typical characteristics? Heat, noise, longevity?

I am also not that familiar with the technical background. I know that I need IDE, and that IDE means: ATA. S-ATA means it is not compatible with my needs, yes? But what the hell is PATA?

Reece
02-22-09, 06:54 PM
S(serial) ATA has been around for quite awhile, my motherboard and 2 prior to that have had the option, all my drives are SATA, are you sure you don't have the option?:-?
But I don't know what PATA is, computer "state of the art" is only valid for one day,:hmmm: sounds like something nice to eat!!:haha:

longam
02-22-09, 07:18 PM
Parallel ATA (PATA) is IDE... http://www.directron.com/patasata.html

The off the shelf Maxtor's seem to be good for a low budget system and are durable but I always found them slow.

Seagate would be next on my list a fast and dependable.

But WD are top in speed and dependable. There have been some models in the past they had problems with, but they don't hesitate to replace them.

Skybird
02-23-09, 06:36 PM
Got a WD blue caviar today. The things to note:

a.) The device stays cool. Really cool, compared to my former models.

b.) First I was cursing, thinking it was broken - I did not hear it. :DL It's extremely silent.

And you know what? the next thing seems to have broken down.Now it is the printer. :dead:

longam
02-23-09, 09:54 PM
Always remember backup your backup, anything can fail....

Skybird
02-24-09, 05:50 AM
Compressed image on 1st external HD (then an even smaller HD is sufficient), original installation for cloning on 2nd external HD. :up: I'm a fan of Acronis True Image, still using version 8. Always worked flawless, never failed me (but I read that latest versipons of Acronis seem to suffer from many flaws and handicaps - so don't consider to buy anything beyond version 8).

AVGWarhawk
02-24-09, 09:59 AM
Hitatchi:up:

Zayphod
02-24-09, 01:20 PM
Got a WD blue caviar today. The things to note:

a.) The device stays cool. Really cool, compared to my former models.

b.) First I was cursing, thinking it was broken - I did not hear it. :DL It's extremely silent.

And you know what? the next thing seems to have broken down.Now it is the printer. :dead:

Dude, seriously, look under the couch - there HAS to be a gremlin hiding there. Once you find him, take a hammer.............. :o

BTW, I've got two drives in my PC. The Maxtor 80 gig is for back-up, misc storage, 7200 rpm. The primary is a WD 500 gig, also 7200 rpm, and yes, it's very quiet.