PDA

View Full Version : The old, the bold and the ugly

Skybird
02-22-09, 07:01 AM
The old: are my parents.
The bold: is my Mom.
The ugly: is PC/notebook/laptop.

My parents never had to do anything with bureau and office software, or even PCs itself. NEVER. But after months of growing envy on me when seeing what ammount of info I can dig out via internet so quickly and easily, my Mom decided once again to show that she is Aries by starsign and not shy to seek confrontation. She wants me to get her an internet connection and a notebook arranged.

She is 61, and never had to deal with computers before. That means: no gimmicks for her, no games, no super-hip latest technology style. She will spend some weeks to practice typing, and all she wants is to surf in the internet: find info on the latest radio program she heared, using google to find her books, use Google Earth, and such.

What notebooks do you recommend, if these are the criterions:

- price around 500-550 Euros,
- good visible, not too small display,
- reliable construction,
- not too noisy,
- OS included (not linux!)
- 1GB for XP, 2 GB in case of Vista,

Accu pack not that important, since she will run it exclusively at home. Office suites and software packages also are not needed (and not even really desired). 16:10 or 4:3 - it doesn't matter.

I thought about these new Eeee PCs or what they are called like, these toylike miniature things, but think the small size comes with its own problems especially for beginners in PC handling. Also, they are said to have annoying ventilators.

I know nothing about notebooks myself, never used them, never owned one. Anything I need to know?

Thanks for any thoughts.

CaptainHaplo
02-22-09, 10:22 AM
Dell is having a major laptop sell - I would check there as they are worldwide. That way - she has someone to call if it craps out that isnt you.