PDA

View Full Version : Why did my crew suffocate while on the surface?

Platapus
02-11-09, 08:52 PM
Playing 1.5+ RFB

Just completed a photorecon mission and was sneaking out of the harbour. Was discovered by destroyers and received minor damage. Eventually I was able to avoid the destroyers and maneuver out to open water.

I was at Silent Running and the crew was not at battle stations. As per the manual for RFB I had the deck crew safely stowed.

Then it starts getting strange.

I secured from silent running
Surfaced
Called the crew to battle stations and verified that the DC crew was activated.

Strange occurrence 1. The minor damage to my sub would not get repaired after running for over two hours.

I secured from battle stations but kept the DC crew active.

Decided to head to port.

Strange occurrence 2. I noticed that the CO2 levels kept increasing even though the sub was on the surface.
When I went on to to the bridge I noticed that I was the only one there.

I cycled the deck crew from "hogans" to their stations and no change. The crew was not exhausted and only one watch was sleeping and one watch was "on duty".

My whole crew suffocated while the sub was on the surface. :wah:

Has anyone else run in to this bug?

The only thing I can think of is that while approaching the photo recce target, I had to pause the game for quite a few hours due to RL issues.

Any idea what happened?

FIREWALL
02-11-09, 09:08 PM
Be cause SH4 is buggie ? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Fincuan
02-11-09, 09:14 PM
Really helpful Firewall, really helpful...

@Platapus: You alt+tabbed out of the game, which results in many weird things such as this. There's also a reverse version, where the crew remains on the deck while diving :)

A Very Super Market
02-11-09, 09:26 PM
Never, ever, ever alt-tab out of a non-windowed game. Even if you've done it before without incident, there is a still a risk

Fincuan, didn't you die? :D

Fish40
02-11-09, 09:26 PM
If you stay submerged long enough to see an CO2 icon appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen, you need to surface by clicking on the icon. The boat will ventilate. I never had a CO2 problem by doing this.

As for the damage not being repaired, are you sure you were not still in "Silent Running"? The only other thing I could think of is that mabey the damage although slight, was of the nature that could not be repaired at sea.:hmmm:

Fincuan
02-11-09, 09:45 PM
Fincuan, didn't you die? :D

Indeed, I heard I was spread around the fuel depot. :eek:

The last thing I saw was the hairy face of my killer. The "thing" that did it looked a lot like... he ... looked like .... agghhh......... Bugger, now I'm indeed dead and can't tell you :haha:

RHill389
02-11-09, 10:19 PM
Could it be that the crew had the wrong Kool Aid, you never know! :har:

FIREWALL
02-11-09, 11:50 PM
Kinda funny in a way but, all from the Werewolf game that follow me to another thread seem to die sooner or later.:hmmm:

jazzabilly
02-12-09, 01:59 AM
"This is your breathing gear, Herr Leutnant! Very Important!"

"But it's only good in the Baltic!"

"Or for when the diesels start to smoke...."

"Or when Frenssen Farts!"

All kidding aside ~ it's the CO2 bug. Save, quit and restart. You'll be fine. I've seen it a couple of times in RFB, once in stock. C'est la guerre.

ReFaN
02-12-09, 04:50 AM
Had it happen in TM.

Platapus
02-12-09, 06:30 AM
I guess the computer alt-tabbed for me. All I did was pause the game and leave. I did notice that when I got back I had to click on the small icon on my task bar to bring up SH4 again.

So if I am underwater and have enemy shipping around me, what can I do when real life forces me away from my game? I can't save while underwater and evidently I can't just pause (as after a while it automatically alt-tabs (at least my computer did that).

This is yet another reason why I hate these photorecce missions. It takes so long to sneak into the harbour (at least at the higher realism settings) without being detected that I can see my not being able to complete the mission in one game playing session (real life stynks)

How do you guys handle these long photorecce missions if you have real life issues that limit your game time?

Friends don't let friends do photorecce missions.:yeah:

Rockin Robbins
02-12-09, 08:18 AM
Sir, are you captain of your crew or not? How do you explain training them to perform intricate evasion maneuvers, dangerous crash dives and emergency surface procedures WITHOUT training them to open the hatches when they surface. Captain, had you survived, this board of inquiry would sentence you to the duration of the rest of the war skippering a rock hammer at heavy labor.:nope:

Seriously, try clicking on the CO2 warning icon in the upper right corner. Much of the time that will immediately solve your problem. If that doesn't work, just save and reload. It isn't necessary to exit the game. As soon as the game reloads you'll find yourself at zero percent CO2. Most of the time you can alt-tab out of the game without incident. Catastrophizers are severely overstating a minor annoyance which can be fixed in about 45 seconds at worst, and which gives you plenty of time to react. I continue to alt-tab out whenever I want to and find SH4 very forgiving compared to just about every other game out there.

By the way, I have hundreds of times saved underwater, in combat, while surrounded by enemy and friendly vessels, in port, every possible situation and not once had a problem. Pay no attention to the nattering nabobs of negativity and proceed to do what you need to do without fear.

Soundman
02-12-09, 03:41 PM
I try to avoid saving underwater, but have done it many times without a problem. I have however, had a problem saving just after sinking a boat, only to have the "Smoke on the water" cloud follow me around for the rest of the patrol. Didn't interfere with gameplay, just very annoying. So now I wait until I've sailed 5 or 6 miles away before saving.

Platapus
02-12-09, 07:05 PM
Man, getting "counseled" by RR. :wah: What brought me to this lowly state? :D

Dereliction of duty? (hanging head in shame). It is a fair cop. I am ready for my transfer to the USS Standard Furniture :salute:

In the mean time, it never occurred to me to click on the CO2 warning. What is that supposed to do in the game? Are there other warnings I can click on in the game?

I am glad that the saving underwater bug is no longer a problem in SH4.

Well if I ever get command of another boat, I will take those suggestions.

samofire
02-14-09, 04:37 PM
Had there, perchance, been any bean-based dishes served to the crew for dinner that night? :doh:

Platapus
02-14-09, 05:31 PM
Had there, perchance, been any bean-based dishes served to the crew for dinner that night? :doh:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132912

Post 7 discussed this. :D