PDA

View Full Version : Vista user. Should I switch to AHCI mode or stick to IDE?

Castout
01-29-09, 09:18 PM
Will I get noticeable performance boost if I switch to AHCI mode?

Should I switch to AHCI mode or should I stick to IDE mode?

I'm aware that Vista users could switch to AHCI mode even after Vista installation by simply following the following procedure:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci
In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AVGWarhawk
01-29-09, 09:36 PM
First I have heard of this. Personally, I do not do a darn thing to my registry. I use Auslogic for registry cleaning and that is as far as I go. :salute:

Castout
01-29-09, 10:22 PM
Hi Warhawk.
I use Advanced system care. It's acceptable.

I assume you're still running on IDE mode? why the hesitation to switch to AHCI?

AVGWarhawk
01-30-09, 08:46 AM
The hesitation is that I do not know what these are:hmmm:

CaptainHaplo
01-30-09, 07:20 PM
AHCI is used in SATA configurations - if your currently use IDE then you can't switch to AHCI as your drives are not SATA - they are EIDE.

The first question (provided you have compatible hardware) that needs to be answered is why do you want to switch? Is there some indication you have that you will get a performance or reliability increase?

In the case of AHCI - you are already using your OS. Switching to AHCI after the OS is installed is a real pain in the arse. About the only way to do it reasonably still requires an OS "repair" to be run to allow the OS to see your drives once you swap to an AHCI mode on the controller.

Honestly - this is one of those times that "new technology" (though it isn't really new) just isn't worth the hassle. Next time your doing a full system rebuild, make sure you have AHCI ready drivers for your controller and then enable it. Until then - I have to advise against it.

Your not really missing any "bang for the buck" in reality without it.

Castout
01-31-09, 05:36 AM
Hi Haplo switching to AHCI for Vista user is done merely by making modification to a registry value. I've posted the procedure I took from official Microsoft database.

For Vista it's not a pain in the ass to switch to AHCI mode after OS installation unlike in XP. So I thought it might be worth switching for.

AVGWarhawk
01-31-09, 07:06 AM
My drive is SATA already. :D

CaptainHaplo
01-31-09, 03:38 PM
Castout - its supposedly as simply as changing the registry entry. Only one problem - if your current SATA driver doesnt support AHCI your screwed because on reboot - you will get no hard disk drive found halfway through the boot process. Its possible you could get back in with safe mode - but no guarantee. If you can then you can swap the reg entry back. If not - your doing a repair of your system at least - a full format and rebuild at worst.

Before you do this - make sure the driver your OS is currently using for the Sata controller supports AHCI. Just a word of warning. Again - I also have to say - why fix it if its not broke? There is no real performance gain unless your also running a raid array from what I have found.

Castout
01-31-09, 07:28 PM
Okay thanks for the advice.

One more thing since switching to Vista x64 environment it seems that it is HDD space hungry compared to XP x86. IS this caused by Vista or the x64 environment?

CaptainHaplo
01-31-09, 11:26 PM
Well honestly - I can't answer. I haven't seen anything saying vista is drive space hungry. I have run both 32 and 64 bit ultimate - but I never compared the space requirements. My main drive is half a T, so I havent really run into any need to monitor space.

Sorry mate.