PDA

View Full Version : Badly Damaged - crew won't repair

PurpleCity
01-29-09, 02:23 AM
I'm sitting in a harbor badly damaged, hull damage ~85%.

I have no diesel engines, the damage report shows diesel engines at 17% damage, however the crew will not repair anything. I've tried moving crew around, setting repair priorities, etc...

I've been sitting here for several days but nothing is repaired. If I could just fix the dang engines I could limp back to port.

this a bug?

Hmuda
01-29-09, 03:07 AM
Did you turn on the repair crews as well? I mean from the HUD and not just moving them into the repair team slots?

AngronIsAngry
01-29-09, 03:26 AM
Is your damage control team activated and or rested? Often it is the simple things.;)

RSColonel_131st
01-29-09, 05:03 AM
There's a bug (at least in 1.5) where they stop repairing for no reason. Save and reload should work.

JonB
01-29-09, 05:17 AM
I think that if you have "Silent Running" activated, the crew wont repair as this makes too much noice... :-?

SteamWake
01-29-09, 11:05 AM
Couple of things...

Firstly the hull cannot and will not be repaired untill you return to your home base.

If systems are damaged beyond repair ... well they wont get repaired. Currently there is no way to know they are beyond repair except that they dont get repaired :doh: If in fact your diesels are damaged beyond repair its time to load up a previous save.

As mentioned make sure you dont have silent running called for as they wont do anything while its active.

Lastley make sure you havent been at battle stations for 3 days ;) turn battle stations off and let the crew get some rest.

PurpleCity
01-29-09, 12:12 PM
Thanks, I'll try that save & reload technique and post back.

The port diesel engine is 17% damage, the starboard is perfectly fine.
but still no diesel engines.

My electrical engines work fine, however if I dive I ain't coming back up. is it possible to use electrical engines on surface?

Most of my crew is pink but health is around 90% for most crew members

SteamWake
01-29-09, 12:24 PM
The silly game treats the sub as if it only has two engines... Somehow if one gets damaged the other wont work as well :hmm:

No you cant run on the surface on electrics, yes you can run on electrics and still surface but without diesels you will not be able to recharge and you will be stuck there.

My first guess is that you left battle stations on for a couple of days and everyone is exhausted... too tired to lift a wrench so to speak.

groomsie
01-29-09, 02:09 PM
Thanks, I'll try that save & reload technique and post back.

The port diesel engine is 17% damage, the starboard is perfectly fine.
but still no diesel engines.

My electrical engines work fine, however if I dive I ain't coming back up. is it possible to use electrical engines on surface?

Most of my crew is pink but health is around 90% for most crew members

Why do you feel you "ain't coming back up" if you dive? If concerned with hull damage you are right to be, but if you stay at or above PD I'd *think* you would be fine (but pay attention to signs this may not be the case).

You can't run on electrics on surface, but for what you want to do try submerging to say 30', or until you hear the diesels stop (or the electrics start). That is your depth, basically running with decks awash. Now, your speed will be low but if you want/need to move away from the area while trying to work out the diesel issue it should work for you.

Otherwise do verify the status of battlestations, crew fatigue, damage control team activation, and silent running.

I have encountered "unreported damage" where I thought a system was completely functional and in fact it was not operational or repairable (torpedo tubes, and I did not find out until I was desperately needing them--lost the boat because I was counting on them being available when they were not). If for some reason that starboard engine is only showing 100% and isn't, well, nothing you can do.

Also, check for damage to shafts (may want to scroll back to see damage reports) and other related systems.

Good luck shipmate!

Elder-Pirate
01-29-09, 02:55 PM
Press the "Y" key, and look for your engines. If in red I think you better swim. :-?

If not red them shut every thing down ( no battle stations, no silent running, no anything, even shut down radar ) Give everyone a 48 hour rest. Unless your in enemy territory then you still may have to swim ?

Best place to check though ( as said before ) is push the "Y" key and scroll all. I'm sure you'll find something besides the hull being all shot up. Otherwise WATCH out for those :gulp: :arrgh!:

PurpleCity
01-29-09, 09:27 PM
Saving and loading worked, kinda...

After resuming, my crew instantly went to work on repairs and flooding. All crew members are healed and everything is now repaired except for the hull (88%)

...However I still have no diesel engines. I loaded a replay to take a look and the propellers and rudder are still intact.

This must be a bug...

Elder-Pirate
01-30-09, 09:18 PM
Saving and loading worked, kinda...

After resuming, my crew instantly went to work on repairs and flooding. All crew members are healed and everything is now repaired except for the hull (88%)

...However I still have no diesel engines. I loaded a replay to take a look and the propellers and rudder are still intact.

This must be a bug...

I doubt it is a bug ( but could be ? ) anyway as I said in my previous post push the "Y" key and read all. Here are two old examples of mine, one of a boat in top shape and the other is heading for Davey Jones or will be a short time after the pic was shot.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/shows7ok.jpg

Top pic shows nothing wrong ( think I was looking for a stuck torpedo door? ) but lordy all hell breaks loose on the second pic. :arrgh!: :dead:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Death2-1.jpg

My engines ( diesel ) have had it ( at least two of them ) Notice the FULL red bars on the right hand side of two of the engines, they ARE gone beyond repair.
Propeller shaft over half red bar, other prop shaft almost half a red bar ( probably bent? ).

Two diesel engines show full red bars ( fully destroyed ) the other two diesels just started the red in the bar but SH4 doesn't seem to understand there are more than one diesel on the boat ( they had to be thinking U-Boats at the making ).

This last pic shows running on electric engines @ 3 kts. Two electric engines are in grey ( good shape ) but #3 is starting the red bar and #4 probably the same but it needs scrolling down to see it. Bow batteries starting to go as they are getting the red bar started. ( I remember they did go still when at 166 feet then a little while later it was: Hello Davey Jones, how are ya? :88) :dead:

OK, that was just a taste of boat trouble you can get into in SH4 so don't always call it a bug. The SH4 Dev's did a very good job for what they were allowed to do. :up:

WELL did you have to swim or are you on the way to port?

PurpleCity
01-30-09, 09:24 PM
I doubt it is a bug ( but could be ? ) anyway as I said in my previous post push the "Y" key and read all. Here are two old examples of mine, one of a boat in top shape and the other is heading for Davey Jones or will be a short time after the pic was shot.

Top pic shows nothing wrong ( think I was looking for a stuck torpedo door? ) but lordy all hell breaks loose on the second pic. :arrgh!: :dead:

Initially I was quite damaged, however after a day of repairs, the only thing damaged was the torpedo tube. deisiel engines were 100% working, however still no movement.

I saved the game in case it is a bug - but I believe the appropriate term is "abandon ship"

Elder-Pirate
01-30-09, 09:46 PM

Initially I was quite damaged, however after a day of repairs, the only thing damaged was the torpedo tube. deisiel engines were 100% working, however still no movement.

I saved the game in case it is a bug - but I believe the appropriate term is "abandon ship"

Go back to the save one more time for if diesels 100% and everything else seaworthy (except the hull as that is a home port repair only ) check on your men. After Working a few days on repairs they ( engine grew ) will not obey your command until they are fully rested then your boat will move. If you do get it moving keep checking your fuel very close for you probably have a fuel leak with some of your hull gone, if so keep hitting the fuel stops.

Course you can always call a water taxi. ( Yeah right :DL )

PurpleCity
01-31-09, 11:39 PM
unless there's something I'm missing - I don't see anything wrong with my diesel engines. (electrical work fine)

http://darnell.servehttp.com/SH4/SH4Img@2009-01-31_21.30.48_609.jpg
http://darnell.servehttp.com/SH4/SH4Img@2009-01-31_21.31.14_718.jpg

Webster
02-01-09, 12:17 AM
1)
i dont think this matters but, your damage control team is at only 40% (green bar) so you could try rotating with fresher better rested crew.

2)
EDIT: never mind i didnt see it was showing fuel

3)
i also see your objective has been completed so report in to get your orders and see if that helps to unlock your crew. (not likely but what the heck, try it)

tater
02-01-09, 12:48 AM
You have a single watch on. Tried setting battle stations?

Elder-Pirate
02-01-09, 01:00 AM
Jeez you've got a little minnow for a sub there. :D

Forget trying to repair that #2 torpedo tube and take those last six torpedo men out of Damage control and put them at "Deck Watch" and if they are rested enough I think you will now move. Just because they know torps doesn't mean they cant do the "Deck Watch". Just head for home port and hope and pray you don't get spotted along the way or are you in enemy waters.

With out full deck watch they can't see where they have been let alone where they are going. :haha: ( ooh that was lame :oops: ) Anyway try it and see. :up:

Sure hope you are fairly close to a port for you've only a little over half a tank of fuel. ( bet it is leaking out ). And DON"T run Flank ( as your telegraph now shows), run it 1/3 or unless you are right close to a pit stop you will never make it. Also your charging batteries, kick the charging off for you can't dive anyway, might give you a little more speed or at least save some fuel.

I see the officer you have highlighted on the 3rd shift has only 14% fatigue and he and his shift hopefully are all at 14% ( most are asleep ) for they are due on duty in 2 1/2 hours. You may even have to speed up the time compression ( not much, maybe 1024 ) for the 2 1/2 hours to go by then the crew ought to be fresh including the torp guys now at watch.

Man you have got 19 men killed, either that or you forgot to sign them up at port.

Hope you don't lose your sub to a desk job ( like end of game, start all over :o )

Good luck :up:

@ Webster, His fuel gauge IS showing in both pics and He should not call in for they may say keep pluging away and he can't.

PurpleCity if you get started just head for home port. :salute:

Webster
02-01-09, 01:09 AM
@ Webster, His fuel gauge IS showing in both pics and He should not call in for they may say keep pluging away and he can't.

PurpleCity if you get started just head for home port. :salute:

i saw that after i posted it lol, my bad eyesight i thought co2 was highlighted.

as for calling in, as i understand it, he will get credit for completing the objective by calling in, if not he will not get the credit he earned. he wont be given a penalty for refitting before completing the next objective he is given and that might even be to return to port option.