PDA

View Full Version : torpedo spread

I'm goin' down
01-24-09, 03:09 AM
Now that I occasionally hit a target, what is the story on torpedo spread angles? Are there any basic rules to follow?

Fish40
01-24-09, 07:05 AM
I'm not a fan of useing the torpedo spread. The theory is to fire a spread of torpedoes at a target by slightly offsetting the torpedo's course a few degrees in the direction of the target's line of travel. Doing this you could cover the whole target, and possibly still get a hit if the target should change course slightly. By the way, if I'm wrong in any way, please someone correct me.:yep:

Anyway, as I said, I don't play with the torpedo spread. I've been useing the DO attack method lately, which has eliminated the use of the PK, and spreads. Once you master it (believe me it aint hard), you'll never look back.

donut
01-24-09, 07:52 AM
It is possable to tag/hit,with radar plot in auto TDC useing spread as lead angle. After useing 3 min.rule to figure speed/course. Point scope/TBT on target bearing radar blip,in attack map. Position yourself AOB 90 degrees @ 1000Yds. lead angle 3,or 4 degrees. :lol: Depending on speed,use fast,contact influence,open door,10 Ft. "torpedo impact" Yah !

I'm goin' down
01-24-09, 01:31 PM
I use Dick O'Kane, the Cromwell attack technique and manual targeting for versatility. For Dick O'Kane, a 10 degree lead angle when the target speed is less than 15 kts. sometimes leads to shots that run ahead of the target, so I will practice it when when running the Dick O'Kane tutorial mission in RFB to determine the most suitable lead angle. Also, O'Kane is not as effective at longer ranges as the Cromwell technique, while manual targeting gives you the liberty/option/advantage of firing when you do not have a classic broadside shot (see Hitman's classic tutorial on manual targeting at 100 percent realism; or use the SCAF mod which is apparently incompatible with RFB).

What I guess I am asking is how to determine a proper spread for torpedoes using the spread angle tool. The gyro angle of the torpedo is related to the distance, speed and dimensions of the target. For manual targeting that information is input into the stadimeter and ends up in the TDC, which you can check on the attack map. But the TDC is not operating with that information in the O'Kane and Cromwell techniques, so I am trying to figure out if there are any rules of thumb for setting a torpedo spread in any of the three attack methods. I downloaded information regarding the torpedo spread calculator from a thread last night, but I do not understand the diagrams its creator has prepared to describe how it works. (We need a class, tutorial, or something perhaps.) My feeling is that if we have a weapon (i.e. a tool, method, technique), let's try to figure it out and use it.

Also, I am not aware that you can do anything with the attack map, except verify if your torpedo gyro angle is set properly, and in manual targeting is locked close to the target's position. If something else is possible, I have overlooked it.

I moved Nisgeis' pdf download from my other computer to this one. It deals with torpedo spread angle calculations. It may answer my questions. I will take some study to figure out, and I am wondering if can decipher his charts. FYI. It is in the thread Torpedo Spread Angle Calculator.

RickC Sniper
01-24-09, 03:05 PM
I don't think I would use the torpedo spread dial unless I was firing using the Position Keeper.

I believe I saw a rule of thumb for a spread angle though. Large ship 3 degrees, small ship 2 degrees spread, something like that.

Edit.....Ah, I think you already found it.