PDA

View Full Version : Help! Newbie Mods download screwup

astroglobe
01-19-09, 02:20 PM
Hi folks,

I managed to screwup both my Silent Hunter 3 and 4 by trying to download the Trigger Maru mod.

The Trigger Maru mod file ended up in the GWX SH3 JGSME and I foolishly overwrought some files in the JGSME SH3 when I tried to activate the mods (I thought the Trigger Maru mod would just apply to SH4, but man, was I wrong :oops: ).

Now the GWX version of SH3 won't work.

I tried to erase the previous files (including the Trigger Maru file) and reinstall SH3 and GWX but it still goes back to the old JGSME files.

I've also tried to erase the old JGSME and still no luck.

In addition I went into program files and nuked the old GWX files - but after reinstalling everything the JGSME reappeared with the old files and TMO file still activated with the previous file rewrites.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Cheers, Astroglobe

donut
01-19-09, 03:05 PM
To uninstall use game disc. Ck add,& remove programs,delete My Documents saved games folder SH4. Then Ck on Ubi Program file.By erase,are you recycle saying,or shift delete ? defrag after removal,& after reinstall, also run dis.ck on your drive.

astroglobe
01-19-09, 04:21 PM
Hi Donut,

Thanks for your advice. As noted in the OP I'm a total newbie at file downloading and mods -- so I'm out to sea on next steps :arrgh!: .

The games were originally downloaded from Ubisoft so I don't have the game discs. I'm also using Vista BTW.

However I have been using the recycling bin to get rid of files so that might be part of the problem.

Would you have a step-by-step link to guide me through the right steps???

Thanks in advance,

astroglobe

donut
01-19-09, 04:43 PM
Will call.

Soundman
01-19-09, 05:32 PM
OK, it appears Donut has guided you to the proper places. If you happen to be a little unsure of how to follow some of those instuctions, there is a great little utility I use called "revo uninstaller" it is also FREE...google it to find.. It WILL comepletely remove anything, including registry entries if you so desire, and it is very user friendy. It will also find hidden installations you may not even be aware of. Cool little tool to have. :up:

longam
01-19-09, 05:53 PM
Restore your system to a time before you made the changes using "System Restore". Vista handles this very well now and wont loose your personal data.

Click the Start Button and type in System Restore in the search input field at the bottom.

You should see it appear in the list above.

Select "Choose a Different Restore Point"

Find a date before this problem happened, and follow the prompts.