PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a scratch on an LCD Monitor.

ReallyDedPoet
01-19-09, 10:41 AM
Hi lads,

Any advice? I have three very small ones off to the right hand side. Just
curious if they can be fixed or even lessened somewhat.

Any help is appreciated :yep::up:

RDP

Digital_Trucker
01-19-09, 11:18 AM
This (http://lifehacker.com/399131/fix-a-scratched-lcd-monitor) might shed a little light on the situation. Never tried any of the methods mentioned 'cause I've been fortunate enough not to have scratched mine (:oops: probably shouldn't oughta have said that).

SteamWake
01-19-09, 11:27 AM
Here is an instructional video on how to repair a flat screen :up:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=de5_1231712181

AVGWarhawk
01-19-09, 11:57 AM
Be happy it is a small scratch. My nephew decided one day to put a sticker on his dad's LCD. When it did not come off, he decided to use a flat head screwdriver. Sometimes you just have to watch what a 5 year old is up to. :D

ReallyDedPoet
01-19-09, 12:06 PM
Be happy it is a small scratch. My nephew decided one day to put a sticker on his dad's LCD. When it did not come off, he decided to use a flat head screwdriver. Sometimes you just have to watch what a 5 year old is up to. :D

:o:o

Yeah, they are not that noticeable, it could have been much worse.

@ DT & SW, thanks for the links lads :yep::up:

RDP

SteamWake
01-19-09, 12:32 PM
LOL my sisters youngest son stuffed a peanut butter and jelly sandwitch into their VCR :p

longam
01-19-09, 02:31 PM
Here is an instructional video on how to repair a flat screen :up:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=de5_1231712181

Ah yes, the old ball bat repair tool. :o

Digital_Trucker
01-19-09, 03:45 PM

:rotfl:Just sometimes? If I remember when my kids were that age correctly, that was a full time job. If I could have afforded it when mine were that age, I would have paid somoene just to follow them around 24/7:rotfl:

XabbaRus
01-19-09, 03:50 PM
How true, though LCD tvs are tough, my one takes a battering from my 3 year old...

donut
01-19-09, 04:17 PM
Perhaps a Polysand 6000 grit cloth. Have used on watch Christal's,your screen appears to be vinyl ? If you try this,perhaps an even finer 32,000 cloth,& anti static cream,press lightly,you will be making vinyl thinner,Beware unproven

AVGWarhawk
01-19-09, 05:35 PM

:rotfl:Just sometimes? If I remember when my kids were that age correctly, that was a full time job. If I could have afforded it when mine were that age, I would have paid somoene just to follow them around 24/7:rotfl:

Playpen my man, playpen:up: But, funny you mention it, my nephews father is about as attentive as a 100 year old man. In short, he does not give two craps.

FIREWALL
01-19-09, 06:09 PM
Haul back and give it a good shine with the toe of your boot. :p :rotfl:

Reece
01-19-09, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Be happy it is a small scratch.
Trouble is, if your like me, you know it's there & you keep looking for it, really peeves you off!!:lol:
What I have done to some scratches on clear plastics & perspex is to use very fine auto paint cutting compound, takes a couple of hours (depending on depth) but comes up again like glass, however these have been to things like guages and being only a small area the total area is polished, a large area on a screen may cause the polished area to be a different gloss than the rest, and end up looking twice as bad!:oops::yep:

FIREWALL
01-19-09, 07:49 PM
Small on the border scratches use Jewelers Rogue.

Use it sparingly.

ReallyDedPoet
01-19-09, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions lads, and the stories as well :lol::lol::up:

You know what it was, one of those little ( and heavy :oops: ) Buddah Statues
that you can pick up at a yard sale. My wife got it for me as a joke, I moved the thing yesterday for some reason and shortly after it fell just glancing the monitor, but enough to put the scratches in it.

They are barely noticable, but as Reece mentioned, knowing they are there is a bit of a pain in the arse. But that statue could have done much more damage had the sucker fell directly on the monitor.

RDP

d@rk51d3
01-20-09, 06:15 AM
The kids somehow managed to put a scratch right in the middle of my screen.

Now when I play SH3, it always looks like a ship on the horizon and I start planning an attack...... It drives me mad.:damn:

HunterICX
01-20-09, 06:51 AM
LOL my sisters youngest son stuffed a peanut butter and jelly sandwitch into their VCR :p

guess they wanted to watch:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4

HunterICX

ReallyDedPoet
01-20-09, 01:14 PM
Fixed :rock::rock:

Used a pencil eraser :doh:, so in the end it was more of a mark than a scratch.

RDP

Reece
01-20-09, 06:35 PM
Excellent news mate!!:up: Now do you have any ideas on how to glue the Buddah Statue back together!!:lol:

ReallyDedPoet
01-20-09, 07:03 PM
Excellent news mate!!:up: Now do you have any ideas on how to glue the Buddah Statue back together!!:lol:

:rotfl::rotfl:

Let's just say that I moved it back to it's former place :yep::88):88)