PDA

View Full Version : Lego Yamato.

Spike88
01-15-09, 01:57 AM
I was looking around google for Yamato pictures when I discovered this:
http://www.gizmowatch.com/gallery/yamato-battleship-2_5638/

:O

Its a lego Yamato, from the looks of it 8-9 feet long.

rubenandthejets
01-15-09, 02:16 AM
I've been to Kure (near Hiroshima), the Yamato's home port. They have got a model there you wouldn't believe! Each crewman stands around 6 inches (15 cm)tall, it's three stories high and over 30 meters (c100 feet) long. Truly amazing museum with the specs of all the ships built in the Kure dockyards, photos and an intact Zero fighter as well.

Unfortunately not much in the way of translations-you'll need some help if you can't read kanji!

PS Kure sounds like " Ku Ray"

Torplexed
01-15-09, 03:20 AM
Interesting and ironic. The Japanese practically worship a legendary battleship they lost decades ago. There's even a group looking to raise the Yamato's sunken sister ship, the Musashi.

Here in the US the governing body of San Francisco rejects a plan to put the decommissioned battleship USS Iowa on display near Fishermans Wharf. Banishing it to rust in Stockton, since it's a symbol of war.

I guess you don't appreciate something until it's gone. :-?

rubenandthejets
01-15-09, 08:18 AM
I've visited the Mikasa as well, a dreadnought from the Russo Japanese War (1904-5) at Yokosuka on Tokyo Bay. It was Togo's flagship and intsrumental in the vistory at Tsushima. Again another superb museum and she's over 100 years old.

Rockin Robbins
01-15-09, 09:14 AM
Don't confuse San Francisco for the United States.:rotfl:

Digital_Trucker
01-15-09, 10:38 AM

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Orion2012
01-15-09, 02:41 PM
Besides the full size darth vader from lego's, thats the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Spike88
01-15-09, 02:54 PM
Seriously. I'd love to have one, just don't know where I'd put it.

Soundman
01-15-09, 03:30 PM
That is so cool. I have one question though......How in the hell did you come accross that ?

Captain Wreckless
01-15-09, 11:55 PM

Exactly!:rock:

CW :arrgh!:

FIREWALL
01-16-09, 02:28 AM
I noticed nobody else wanted the IOWA either. :nope:

nikimcbee
01-16-09, 02:49 AM
I wonder how much it costs to keep up a ship like that?

JALU3
01-16-09, 03:36 AM

The Port of San Diego was bidding for her to be alongside the USS Midway (CV-41) at the Navy Pier, however, it was decided that we would not be able to fit both ships. However, I am sure, that given the right nudging this application can be started again.

Yes, San Francisco, politically does not want to be part of the United States, or at least connect to the military. During the 90's they did a good job of removing the rich military presence in their region, some say it's because of the implementation of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (which prior (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_ask,_don't_tell#History) to that policy being enacted, was even harsher), yet others point to the remains of the anti-US involvement in the Second IndoChina War still being entrenched in the region.
Therefore, given its openly hostile stance against military service, or anything to do with the physical defense of the nation, San Francisco opposed the USS Iowa becoming a museum, possibly to be included in the greater GGNRA.

It appears that Stockton has ended its campaign to host the historic vessel.

As for upkeep cost, the upkeep of the USS Midway, appears to be lower then the income of the museum, so it can't be that much.

Furthermore, with NASSCO here, if she ever were to reactivated, she would not have to go far for the renovations that would be needed for her to become the Battlewagon we all know she can be, once again.

Travis Reed
01-16-09, 03:47 AM

I did! But I was outvoted...:cry:

rubenandthejets
01-16-09, 10:12 AM
In Australia we strip the old warships and then sink them for artificial reefs / diving tourism sites / surf breaks.

Im serious!

Recently the third minisub that went after the Chicago in '42 was found off the Sydney Heads-they're keeping the location a secret after holding a Shinto memorial ceremony over her. The wreck of the HMAS Sydney was also recently discovered off the West Oz coast, sunk by a tricket out, pimp my ride German "merchantman".

We either make 'em off limits or wreck em-I think only a couple are actually in maratime museums.

Spike88
01-16-09, 12:03 PM
In Australia we strip the old warships and then sink them for artificial reefs / diving tourism sites / surf breaks.

Im serious!

Recently the third minisub that went after the Chicago in '42 was found off the Sydney Heads-they're keeping the location a secret after holding a Shinto memorial ceremony over her. The wreck of the HMAS Sydney was also recently discovered off the West Oz coast, sunk by a tricket out, pimp my ride German "merchantman".

We either make 'em off limits or wreck em-I think only a couple are actually in maratime museums.
They also do this in the United States, usually around the states with high tourist populations, like Florida.

FIREWALL
01-16-09, 12:29 PM

I did! But I was outvoted...:cry:

Me too ! Isn't it always that way. :lol:

SteamWake
01-16-09, 12:59 PM
Its a lego Yamato, from the looks of it 8-9 feet long.

20'-0" according to the article.

XLjedi
01-16-09, 04:28 PM
They also do this in the United States, usually around the states with high tourist populations, like Florida.

Here's a flattop (Oriskany) going down in Floirda:
http://myfwc.com/marine/ar/OriskanyPixtopside.htm

Certainly not uncommon...

Xapp696
01-20-09, 04:03 PM
Another cool link is http://digitalnavy.com/ It has various ships made from paper or card stock. Check out the "show off your creations" area for some truly mind-blowing Takao, Fuso, and Yamato ships, all made from paper and glue. The Yamato is REALLY well done, and I wouldn't want to know how long it took... I built the free download of the HMS Dreadnaught, and it took me three weeks, and the model is only about 10 inches long! As well, there are various other models from navies both past and present, most are really well done

fair_weather
01-21-09, 01:54 AM
Link with more pictures of the Yamato:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=114077

And something extra. :up:

The Harry S. Truman CVN-75...out of Lego:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126969

Enjoy!