PDA

View Full Version : No man is an island...

ExMachina
01-14-09, 11:44 PM
...and if he WAS, i probably crash my sub into him!

seriously i've run aground TWICE now....

and no, it's not me bee-boppin' willy-nilly in some archipelago somewhere...

the islands i hit tend to small (VERY small) and are the only bits of land with in 500nm.

i'm the WORST SKIPPER EVAR! :arrgh!:

breadcatcher101
01-15-09, 12:15 AM
Use great care when plotting. Check out the white areas with high zoom as some do have a sliver of land there. Usually your speed will drop to x4 to give you warning but not always.

I tend to run over sampans myself. Little devils need to learn to give way.

Torplexed
01-15-09, 12:50 AM
There's an area in the Philippines between the Sulu and Celebes Seas where I'm always running into some microscopic reefs that barely show up on the map. :oops: Makes the game a bit more realistic tho. :arrgh!:

magic452
01-15-09, 01:17 AM
You are not alone, been there done that.
When I first started I even hit a island in my home port, Freemantle I think it was.

Magic452

surf_ten
01-15-09, 12:25 PM
lol, noob captain moments. I hate to confess this but my very first mission in my campaign I decided to take the sub out of the port of Pearl habor. I went to the nav station and plotted out my course then went to the bridge for some sightseeing. Sure enough as I was gaping over the wreakage in my binoculars, I failed to notice the sub's wide turning radius and the looming sand bar the sub was headed towards. I was dumb struck when all the damage reports started flooding in. I ran aground into the beach, and destroyed my engines. Well I revived myself from command and conducted court martial proceedings for gross negliance of command ( In other words I deleted the career and all autosaves and restarted ).

AVGWarhawk
01-15-09, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I have done it. Busy tooling along. Next thing I know, the sub is up on the beach. My watch is sprawled all over the place. Seagulls laughing and crapping on us. It is all great fun until someone gets hurt:D

Spike88
01-15-09, 02:59 PM
The last time I ran aground was Silent Hunter 2 due to the fact the map was so inaccurate. :rotfl:

Soundman
01-15-09, 03:28 PM
Use great care when plotting. Check out the white areas with high zoom as some do have a sliver of land there. Usually your speed will drop to x4 to give you warning but not always.

I tend to run over sampans myself. Little devils need to learn to give way.

DITTO ! Don't assume there's nothing there. We need to be zoomed in as we traverse the path along the way, or at least recon your path first and then sit back and relax.

ExMachina
01-15-09, 04:14 PM
DITTO ! Don't assume there's nothing there. We need to be zoomed in as we traverse the path along the way, or at least recon your path first and then sit back and relax.

yeah, it's not the mission itself that gets me, but the tediously long trans-pacific jaunt back to pearl...that's when i zoom out an max the time compression!

Soundman
01-15-09, 04:55 PM

yeah, it's not the mission itself that gets me, but the tediously long trans-pacific jaunt back to pearl...that's when i zoom out an max the time compression!

Yes, that's when the radio mods come in handy to keep you entertained. If you are not using them, check them out in the mods section. Cap'n Cox has some great stuff in there.

Falkirion
01-15-09, 05:27 PM
Wow so I'm amongst the caps who've never run aground? Never managed to hit a reef, small island or anything yet. Having said that I'll probably land up grounding the Cod during my current patrol

Red Lord of Chaos
01-15-09, 05:37 PM
Well I haven't actually run aground yet... (Touch wood :damn: ) but I've had a few close calls, one heading towards Singapore and decided to go to the bridge because I was bored. Found land right in front of me, :o so hit All Back Emergency and squeaked round with rocks impossibly close to the hull...

Of Course back in SH1 it was a viable tactic, I spent many days lying on the bottom at Truk. Ah, happy memories...

kylesplanet
01-16-09, 09:55 PM
I had never ran aground until the latest RFB came out. In R/L, many subs ran aground because they didn't have super accurate maps like in SH4. RFB does away with that. It gives you something else to think about.