PDA

View Full Version : Performance with nVidia 181.20 drivers

Syxx_Killer
01-13-09, 09:10 AM
I currently have an XFX 8600GT that I got about a year ago. For most of that time I had the 169.21 drivers. A couple days ago I updated to the 181.20 drivers when I got Red Alert 3. I think the new drivers cured an issue I got with that game, but I also think they decreased the performance I got with SH4. I run TMO straight up now, so I am basically running EE 5.0. With 169.21 I had SH4's own profile in the driver's control panel that I set to have 16x AA and either 16x or 8x AF (I don't remember). I also had multisampling turned on. With 181.20 and those settings I get these annoying little "jumps" in the framrate much like if I had Vsync turned off, but not as drastic. I now have AA and AF down to 4x each with multisampling just to keep the frames somewhat smooth. When I press Ctrl + F8 in the game my FPS counter is all over the place, even in open ocean. Before, it would hover around 20-30 FPS in open ocean. I have every graphical option checked in the game. I had them checked before, too, with no ill effects. What is anyone else's experience with these drivers? If I didn't have RA3 I would probably revert back to 169.21, but I can't now.

SteamWake
01-13-09, 10:40 AM
Argh thanks for the heads up...

You did COMPLETLEY remove the previous installation prior to applying the new drivers right :hmm:

Syxx_Killer
01-13-09, 10:49 AM
Yes, I uninstalled the old ones. If you mean did I go hunting around to get rid of every last file, then no. After I uninstalled the old ones I checked the directory they were in and there wasn't a folder for the old drivers.

Soundman
01-13-09, 01:09 PM
I have the same card (now). I don't recall if I have put in the same drivers as you or not, but I beleive I did. Anyway, I've experienced some strange things with this game after changing drivers. It's almost like it wants to use the old ones or something to that effect. Check this thread out and read what I posted there. Note that the guy who posted after me agreed. As the thread will tell you, you may wnt to use driver sweeper. It's a free download and since using it, I have not had any ill effects or a problem when changing drivers. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113277

ancient46
01-14-09, 01:24 AM
I gave had problems before with older files left behind causing problems with a new nVidia driver. Driver Sweeper worked for me. After a uninstall and a sweep the problems disappeared. I hope you have similar results.

ridgewayranger
01-14-09, 01:07 PM
Hi,
I was running 178.13 happily until I saw the mention of 181.20 so I D/ld and installed and find it runs fine, with a slight increase in FPS. I use Nhancer to set it up and can TC up to 4096. Hav'n't tried SH4 yet but will give it a whirl tonight.My card is an 8600 GT.
RR

panzer 49th
01-14-09, 02:05 PM
Well, I don't really notice a difference at max settings (1920 x 1200 all options checked 16 x QSSAA and 16 x QAF). I get around 200 fps constant 150 in harbors and when that "hit-the-destroyer-in-the-fuel-tank-and-it-causes-the-fps-death-fire" I get about 20 fps.

The new drivers did something to my nvidia control panel, because when I try to change certain settings, I get a bsod(which didn't happen with the old ones).

But i can't really say anything about well they perform comared to the old ones.