PDA

View Full Version : Basic question - depth below keel?

RSColonel_131st
01-09-09, 04:02 AM
Hi Guys

I really hate UBI for not including any decent printed reference with the gold edition - so many things should be clear as day, but aren't.

I just saw another topic referencing a "ping to bottom" function that tells you how deep you can go. I can't find the key for it anywhere in my documents.

BTW, the search function for this board - am I stupid or is there really no way to do an AND search? Looking for "Depth Below Keel" for example seems to return all topics with depth, keel, or below in them.

While I'm at it - am I correct that the german hydrophones work surfaced while the US ones only work submerged?

Thanks for help.

Aramike
01-09-09, 05:04 AM
I don't think there's a key for it. But, it's on the Command menu bar. The button has the silhouette of a keel.

PhantomLord
01-09-09, 06:17 AM
While I'm at it - am I correct that the german hydrophones work surfaced while the US ones only work submerged?

Thanks for help.

It´s the other way around.
German hydrophones only work submerged.

Barrett
01-09-09, 07:24 AM

Thanks for help.
German hydrophones only work submerged.
at least in Silent Hunter ;)
in SH-III when you had the GHG or the Balkongerät installed, they work on the surface if you listen manually ;)

SteamWake
01-09-09, 09:47 AM
Hi Guys

I really hate UBI for not including any decent printed reference with the gold edition - so many things should be clear as day, but aren't.

Meh if they included the one that came with the original game you might be even more frustrated.

Depth beneath keel is the first button on the left at the 'nav' map screen.

BTW be wary using this if your trying to evade destroyers. It can alert them to your presence. ;)

PhantomLord
01-09-09, 09:58 AM

Thanks for help.
German hydrophones only work submerged. at least in Silent Hunter ;)
in SH-III when you had the GHG or the Balkongerät installed, they work on the surface if you listen manually ;)

Oh i didn´t know that till now. It was so clear to me that german hydrophones do not work surfaced... i never wasted a thought about to try that on surface :D

RSColonel_131st
01-09-09, 11:26 AM
If german hydros don't work on the surface, then why do I constantly get black bearing lines on my map while running around on patrol (realistic sensors and all)?

Weird game. Thanks for pointing out that button.

SteamWake
01-09-09, 11:59 AM
If german hydros don't work on the surface, then why do I constantly get black bearing lines on my map while running around on patrol (realistic sensors and all)?

Weird game. Thanks for pointing out that button.

Because its a game.. not everything is 'historically' accurate.

By the same token sometimes you cant hear a merchant chugging away at 2,000 yards away :doh:

Dread Knot
01-09-09, 12:57 PM
It's sort of ironic. You see it high and dry right out there on the foredeck from your conning tower and yet it still works underwater. German ingenuity. ;)

Freiwillige
01-13-09, 03:09 AM
I bleive that the German U-boats had two systems running in conjunction and somebody can correct me if I am wrong but the first and least effective is built into the sides of the hull (GHG) and could not be controlled. It was passive and then the rotating (Balkongerät). They worked in conjunction.

GeoffBelding
01-13-09, 05:31 AM
When it is reported that we are "Passing thermal layer", is the keel just passing it, or is the boat completely under it?

I usually note the depth and descend another 70 feet, just to make sure.

Any help would save the extra depth.

Geoff

RSColonel_131st
01-13-09, 11:00 AM
Sorry for bumping this topic, but I just had a chance to upgrade for the latest sonar ("Kristalldrehsomething"), and I note that the bulge on the bottom of my keel is gone now, which certainly was the GHG.

Is it possible that the game reports sonar contacts over the GHG even if surfaced - automatically - and does not for the other type? Because it seems to me ever since my upgrade I'm getting very much LESS sonar contacts than before. My usual method has been to run surfaced until sonar contact, then intercept and dive for the attack - but with the new "upgrade", it seems I would have to submerge constantly.

Does that sound possible?

Also, I can't see the antenna...

Thanks

Helmut

Frame57
01-13-09, 11:34 AM
When it is reported that we are "Passing thermal layer", is the keel just passing it, or is the boat completely under it?

I usually note the depth and descend another 70 feet, just to make sure.

Any help would save the extra depth.

GeoffThat is a good practice. What you can try as far as the game is concerned is as you said you noted the depth then went under it, then ascend a bit and actually see how many feet you go until it is reported again.