PDA

View Full Version : What do these driver thingys do?

Task Force
12-21-08, 04:04 PM
What does this thing on nvidias site do?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.25_whql.html

Hylander_1314
12-21-08, 07:54 PM
TF, I'm just getting the standard 169 WHQL certified drivers, which is not what I think you are asking about. Could you do a cut and paste?

Or is it the PhysX thing you have come across?

If it is the PhysX thing, it's supposed to help boost your graphics power, but the software, ie, games have to be written with code that takes advantage of it.

From what I understand, it also lets you use two different series video cards like a 9000 series and an 8000 series in combination and utilize them to their best efficiency.

CaptainHaplo
12-21-08, 08:01 PM
This is a video card driver - for an GeForce 6/7/8 series card. Note it was released last year - so you want a more recent version.

If you were asking what is a "driver" - its simply software that tells Windows how to best make use of the graphics ability of your card - without a driver, the card doesn't work - or work as well. Always try to stay fairly up to date on drivers - especially for video cards. However ,sometimes a new version of the driver can make some games not work as well - while others work better. Sometimes its best to live by the rule "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Often new drivers for existing cards are released to fix issues with specific games, or to enhance overall performance.

If you have a GeForce 6/7/8 card - you may want to get the most recent drivers. Go here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_178.24_whql.html

Note that this does have the WHQL signature - that means that Microsoft has tested it with their operating system and have given it the thumbs up. It doesn't mean its perfect, but it means its stable. Often "beta" drivers are available from various places, and they usually are fine - but if you want to insure stability - use WHQL drivers.

Task Force
12-21-08, 08:03 PM
I was wondering what the driver did, didnt realize how old it was though.;) Thanks for your time fellas. Im trying to find a good driver that gives SH4 better performance and I was wondering about this one.:yep: Im currently useing the 180.48 drivers. Im trying to get the best performance out of this thing I can.

CaptainHaplo
12-21-08, 11:30 PM
What card are you using? The 180.48 seem to be the last whql out for the 8/9 series. There may be a few beta's out there, but your probably going to get better performance thru tweaks.

If your running an 8/9 series card, your probably not maxing out the card depending on the specs of the rest of the machine. I note you have been selecting the 32 bit drivers - if you can get your hands on a 64 version of vista - ultimate preferred - your more than likely going to see a boost in performance. *This assumes you have a 64 bit processor. On average benchmarks - your looking at 15%.

Task Force
12-21-08, 11:34 PM
Im running a 8800 GTs 640mb.

I have a e8400 3.0 ghz that supports 64bit. I wonder how long untill windows 7 is gona be out.

Hylander_1314
12-22-08, 06:32 PM
Some say late o9, others say early 2010.

Task Force
12-22-08, 06:40 PM
I hope soon, I dont know which to get, Vista 64 bit, or windows 7.

Hylander_1314
12-22-08, 08:56 PM
Wulfhunter originally posted this link. You may want to read it as it really dispells a lot of "urban legend" and predjudices against Vista that even I didn't know.

http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html

Read the entire article as it is quite illuminating as to the false pretenses many folks have about the OS. And it looks like folks that hold on to XP until Windows 7 comes out are going to be in the same position I was in when I waited until XP got sorted out before dumping Windows 98se. And once I did switch, it took the better part of a month to get used to XP as it was completely different from what I was used to.

So I would suggest from the article to upgrade, and then when Windows 7 gets sorted out, the transition won't be so difficult. It's the wise thing to do, but I have done my share of unwise things in the past.

Task Force
12-22-08, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the Info, reading article now, quite interesting.:yep:

Hylander_1314
12-23-08, 12:44 PM
Yeah, somewhat of an eye-openner.

Koondawg
12-23-08, 01:23 PM
Often new drivers for existing cards are released to fix issues with specific games, or to enhance overall performance.

Sometimes new isn't better...If your not having issues dont worry...My motto is if everything IS working fine dont change anything...
BUT if your CTD or getting a glitch...search for the answer to the ? or problem...
I had an issue with my MB drivers and VC drivers and updated and no complaints.

KD