PDA

View Full Version : poll: would you like to see RFB or TMO combined with the campaign mods like OM?

Jaeger
12-10-08, 04:23 PM
Hello,

would you like to see RFB or TMO combined with the campaign layers, units etc. from OM? this wold give you only one mod to install in JSGME, a real supermod like gwx?

AVGWarhawk
12-10-08, 04:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the two can not mix together because one will break the other with changes with in each theater. Currently, RFB runs with PE4 integrated and you can tag RSRD right behind it. Two mods to activate and it is a super mod.

lurker_hlb3
12-10-08, 06:13 PM
Since I'm the author of both RSRDC & OM, the answer is no, I will not integrate into to RFB or TMO. My mods will remain "as is"

LukeFF
12-11-08, 02:15 AM
Since I'm the author of both RSRDC & OM, the answer is no, I will not integrate into to RFB or TMO. My mods will remain "as is"

And I fully support him on this matter.

TDK1044
12-11-08, 08:21 AM
No. GWX is a one off deal. In general, campaign mods like OM should not be integrated with mods like TM and PE.

I run OM, TM and PE, and all play well together.

Jaeger
12-11-08, 10:29 AM
you all missed the point i think. my idea is to make the mods more interesting for "evening players". they dont want to deal with long install information, they want to have a running product. you guys are all subsim members for years. it is no prob for you to deal with mods, you didnt do something else the last years. but remember the other (big) group of players.

Wilcke
12-11-08, 11:39 AM
you all missed the point i think. my idea is to make the mods more interesting for "evening players". they dont want to deal with long install information, they want to have a running product. you guys are all subsim members for years. it is no prob for you to deal with mods, you didnt do something else the last years. but remember the other (big) group of players.

Jaeger,

When I first started with the SH series I was in the same boat; use a super mod or have mod soup. My first installs I now realize were completely broken due to my JSGME induced mod soup. After much trial and error I finally settled for NYGM and Ducimus's FTT.

With SH4 the evolution has been much different due to a better understanding of the inter-relationship of the files and how the mods affect the base install. I completely understand that some folks would rather just patrol than hang out activating and de-activating mods with JSGME. I fully blame the author of JSGME for my addiction to modding and testing!

Let me know if you need any help setting anything up.

Jaeger
12-11-08, 12:10 PM
yeah wilcke, the question is: how many of us are familiar with the way you mentioned. this can be shown by the poll...

TDK1044
12-11-08, 12:44 PM
Hi Jaeger,

Don't be scared of adding mods. The JSGME makes it very simple indeed. Do what I outline below, and you'll be adding and removing mods with ease.

1. Download JSGME into the SH4 root Directory.
http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html (http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html)

2. Run JSGME.exe

3. Close JSGME.

4. Right click on the JSGME icon and select 'Create Desktop shortcut'. Right click on the 'Mods' folder created by JSGME and also create a Desktop shortcut for it.

5. Create a folder on your Desktop to download your mods to. Mine is simply called 'mods downloads'.

5. Download your chosen mod to that new folder.

6. Unzip your selected mod and use the 'Extract Here' option.

7. Once the new mod folder (yellow folder) is created, drag and drop it into your 'Mods' folder.

8. Click on your Desktop JSGME icon.

9. On the left side of the JSGME screen you will see any mod or mods you have placed in the Mods folder.

10. Select a Mod on the left hand side of JSGME and click the arrow and move the mod to the right side of the JSGME screen. JSGME will now install it. It may take a minute or so.
11. Close JSGME

12. Start Silent Hunter 4 and your selected mod will be active in the game.

Every time you activate a mod, JSGME backs up and protects the original SH4 files you're modifying. If you don't like a mod then simply move it back to the left side of the screen and JSGME will uninstall it and put the original files back where they were.

It's that simple.

I've downloaded, extracted, dragged and dropped and installed mods in under a minute. You can too :D

Rockin Robbins
12-12-08, 07:28 AM
Frankly, using JSGME is considerably simpler than playing SH4. But another question comes to mind. Why, if you're primarily interested in playing the Atlantic, would you want to integrate OM with RFB or TM? They are fleet boat mods and could just as well be left out entirely when you are playing the U-Boat. The only features of those mods you will see are those parameters that unfortunately are shared by U-Boats and Fleet Boats. And their effect will be to make the U-Boat behave as they designed the Fleet Boat to. Sometimes that will be completely harmless, but often not.

I have to say that the RFB Team has gone out of their way not to break anything on the U-Boat side of the game. But because of the unfortunate way that very different submarines share the same game parameters, even there at times the effect will be bad.

I think this is a very ill-advised idea.

Jaeger
12-19-08, 11:19 AM
if i understand your posting correctly, OM runs fine in the way it should - without the realism packages like RFB or TMO? No improvements for realism concerning the atlantic theatre were given by RFB? that means, if i want to play atlantic, i should use OM, for fleetboats i can chose between TMO and RFB?

if this is true, i have misunderstood the meanings of OM. i thought, this package only gives german units and campaign files to the game and all the realism stuff should be taken out of RFB or TMO. I will give a "naked" OM version a try now... ( it is really hard in this mod jungle ;) )

edit: as you can see, i am new to the sh4 modding world (came from sh3). few minutes ago, i discovered the spanish work, a full atlantic package, including a campaign. i will give it a try now, perhaps, it is what i am looking for...

greetz, Jaeger

Wilcke
12-19-08, 12:42 PM
if i understand your posting correctly, OM runs fine in the way it should - without the realism packages like RFB or TMO? No improvements for realism concerning the atlantic theatre were given by RFB? that means, if i want to play atlantic, i should use OM, for fleetboats i can chose between TMO and RFB?

if this is true, i have misunderstood the meanings of OM. i thought, this package only gives german units and campaign files to the game and all the realism stuff should be taken out of RFB or TMO. I will give a "naked" OM version a try now... ( it is really hard in this mod jungle ;) )

edit: as you can see, i am new to the sh4 modding world (came from sh3). few minutes ago, i discovered the spanish work, a full atlantic package, including a campaign. i will give it a try now, perhaps, it is what i am looking for...

greetz, Jaeger

Jaeger,

You got it right, and OM also benefits from much development and involvement of Lurker over at the kickinbak forum. As things develop, he will adapt, modify and add them into OM. As for the Spanish ATO package, by all means try it those lads are just the best. Great stuff! Anything you need just let me know!

Happy Hunting!

Jaeger
12-19-08, 02:48 PM
thanks a lot wilcke, seems like i got it now. after playin sh3 a lot, i began to understand the sh4 modding world. will ask, when getting questions...

LukeFF
12-20-08, 12:02 AM

Contrary to what Wilcke said, ;) yes, many realism improvements have been to the U-boat side of things in the RFB mod. I have devoted just as much time to the U-boats as I have the American subs for RFB.

Rockin Robbins
12-20-08, 04:00 PM
Great, Jaeger. Our vision is to open up options for people as far as possible. If they want RFB for fleet boats, they should be left free to do whatever they choose on the U-Boat end of the game without RFB or RSRD interfering with their choices. I would be nice if the reverse were also true, and with OM (U-Boat mod) and RFB or TMO, it is.

More options for more people with modders acting in concert equals a healthy modding environment and the best enhancements for players.

When modders become defensive and secretive, interfering with each other's work, not sharing discoveries and techniques, the good modders leave, the number of mods declines and the game dies.

Mods are not in competition. Modders need not treat each other as enemies. Just look at the relationships of TMO, RFB, RSRD, OM, PE, NYGM, FOTRS, CA-24F, KillFlags and some others and you can see that healthy relationship between modders that works to everyone's benefit.

cgjimeneza
12-21-08, 07:00 AM
I like my specialized installs, one for Uboats (Op Monsun exclusively) and three for fleet boats (TMO+RSRS, RFB+RSRD, and my PTC8 oriented for our pacific campaing (do visit www.subsowepac.org (http://www.subsowepac.org) )

when the surface warfare mod is out, then it`s a new one, thankfully I have an extra HD empty for it.

In my opinion its better a separate install (and copies of the activated mod list in case of screwups)

just my two centavos