PDA

View Full Version : System slow down after gameplay ?

Contact
12-09-08, 04:33 PM
Have you guys noticed that your machine runs slower after you quit a game and then do ordinary stuff (browsing the web, opening other programs) ? It's back to normal after reboot of course. But is it possible to refresh the system back to it's strarting state on win xp without restart?
And why is it hapening ?
Is it because hdd cache needs to be cleared after gameplay ?

Reece
12-09-08, 07:45 PM
I don't actually have that problem, what you could do is before running the game press Alt-Ctrl-Del to bring up the task manager then select the processors tab, now take a snapshot and save the image, now play the game and after repeat the process, now you can compare the 2 for the offending process that is taking all the memory.
I use an app called "Tweak XP Pro", it's a free version that came with a magazine, this has an excellent memory optimizer, I bring up the task manager before running this and you can see during optimizing the processors memory usage dropping to free up hundreds of megs, great app!!:yep:

Contact
12-10-08, 09:08 AM
I don't actually have that problem, what you could do is before running the game press Alt-Ctrl-Del to bring up the task manager then select the processors tab, now take a snapshot and save the image, now play the game and after repeat the process, now you can compare the 2 for the offending process that is taking all the memory.
I use an app called "Tweak XP Pro", it's a free version that came with a magazine, this has an excellent memory optimizer, I bring up the task manager before running this and you can see during optimizing the processors memory usage dropping to free up hundreds of megs, great app!!:yep:

Task manager shows the same quantity of active running processes before/after gameplay. I'ts just that PF usage after the game increased.

Thomen
12-10-08, 06:33 PM
Task manager shows the same quantity of active running processes before/after gameplay. I'ts just that PF usage after the game increased.

Just set the page file to a fixed size. That ought to do it.
Depending on who you ask, the size should be around 1.5 times up to 3 times your RAM.
Mine is set to 1x RAM size. 4GB should be enough in most cases.

Reece
12-10-08, 07:06 PM
@ Thomen :up: Yes I have 2gb memory & my PF is fixed to the same size, I must admit I never gave it a thought, haven't touched the PF for years, taken for granted!!:yep: