PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in the Rain

spike12
11-22-08, 08:19 PM
So here I was ,trackin' a merchie at night ,in the rain,no visability, and positioned perpendicular (90 degrees more or less) to his course of travel.So what did I do?
1.went to periscope depth to aquire contact.
2.using the marker,a nomograph(I had RFB & Op Monsun)and the 3 minute rule,I determined his speed(lets use 8 kts for ex.)
3.manually inputed his speed in the TDC
4.selected a 3 torp salvo with 0 spread,slow speed,magnetic detonation,depth at 2 or 4 metres.
5.set my AOB to 90 degres (port or starbord,depending on which way he's crossing my bow)
6.adjusted my bearing to bring my gyroangle to 0 degrees, and checked to see where bearing was at(important)
7.made some last minute adjustments in the TDC(especally on the AOB)and the bearing line(if necessary).
8.opened the tube,waited for his sonar line to meet my bearing line,and when it did;LOS!
9.if its done right,one merchie turned into a sub:smug:
So far this technique has worked for me twice in a row so far.:arrgh!:
EDIT;
this is still a WIP and I'll probably continue perfect& simplify the process.

Nippelspanner
11-23-08, 01:56 PM
Thats absolutely unrealistic!

German boats never fired with acoustic soultions, only visual solutions were used.

and the worst: you dont even know WHAT you are shooting at! it could be a neutral merchant...

What do you want to tell the BdU in case of sinking a neutral one?
"I didnt knew he was neutral!" ?
*SLAP*

EDIT: Damn! My Sig is so outdated! Lol

Sailor Steve
11-23-08, 06:13 PM
On the other hand the u-boats did sink a remarkable number of neutral - and friendly - ships that they could see plain as day! I recently posted on the SH3 boards an account of a u-boat sinking an Italian fishing trawler, questioning the survivors and refusing to believe they were Italians! Seems they were outside the prescribed 'friendly' area.

But I agree: shooting blind is a bad idea if you value your reputation; i.e. renown.:sunny:

spike12
11-24-08, 09:31 AM
So what youse are sayin' is that one is not allowed to hunt in poor visability conditions,which happen quite often on the North Atlantic(especially if you're using RFB orTMO).:hmm:

Nippelspanner
11-24-08, 09:59 AM
Its not that complicated, its simple:

Objective: Sink as many enemy ships as possible.

Its war, there are no real rules... But it is too dangerous to fire at UNIDENTIFIED vessels. You wouldnt do this in RL... well I hope! :p

Sinkining a neutral ship COULD lead nations into war...

Raptor1
11-24-08, 10:54 AM
Really, what are your chances of finding a neutral ship in the North Atlantic?

ALL of America is Allied (At some point), the only neutrals you might come across are either Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish or Irish, even then, they're probably heading to an Allied port, which means they are fair targets

Nippelspanner
11-24-08, 11:08 AM
1. The US, and other antions, entered the war in december 41, germany started the war in 1939 and atlantic operations began also in 1939 so the atlantic was FILLED with neutral shipping...

2. Chances... Thats exactly what I mean. Why the hell would someone even RISK this?
German Subs wasnt that trigger happy.

3. Even if you would know it is an enemy... Torpedoes were expensive and nothing to "throw around" with just because you could have the slight chance to hit a target via acoustic-solution. The eel would probably miss, become a dud (bad angle etc.) or what ever. Oh and by the way. The most eels didnt worked well during bad weather, especially the magnetic fuses.

It would be stupid to waste eels on a -possible- enemy target. You could need them later...

I cant believe this is something to argue about... It should be very clear for the most ppl here that something like this is absolutely unrealistic and stupid.

Made my point clear now I guess...

Raptor1
11-24-08, 11:22 AM
I was under the impression that he was referring to post-1941, where almost every country with a coastline in the Atlantic was hostile

Of course one should identify the target when possible, but in such conditions it wouldn't be too big a crime to shoot and ask questions later

Of course, I don't know how this was historically, so you could be right

Pablo
11-24-08, 05:30 PM
Hi!

Technically, what spike12 described isn't a fully acoustic solution: he used his periscope observations to establish the base course and the projected track of the target, and then just used his hydrophones to tell him when his target matched his bearing of his firing solution.

It was not as if he were trying to ascertain the range, course, and speed through acoustic bearings, or estimating the target speed by counting propeller revolutions per minute.

Pablo

spike12
11-24-08, 07:11 PM
No periscope observations(can't see anything in the rain at night anyway)just used the map,the hydrophone bearings and the marker,marked the 1st point then marked the 2nd point 3 minutes later,used the ruler to measure the distance,and used the nomograph to calculate the speed(minutes+distance=speed).Then i manually inputed the speed on the TDC,set the AOB to 90 degrees,adjusted the bearing to get the gyroangle to 0 dedrees(depending on the speed for the torps.I recomend slow setting)waited for hydrophone line to land on the suggested bearing and fired.No periscope needed.And a good challenge.

Herr_Pete
11-25-08, 12:18 AM
This is my view in SIlent Hunter. If you dont have a Japanese flag or the Swastika your Buggered lol:D

Pablo
11-25-08, 07:46 AM
Hi!

By "periscope observations" I meant any information received as a result of raising the periscope, whether observed directly through the scope itself or via the handy dandy mapping feature.

Pablo.

spike12
11-26-08, 10:06 PM
I decided to give up on blind shooting.I recently tried my hand at manual shooting and fount it to be too much of a hassle to get it to work right.:nope:Henchforth I'm going back to auto shooting ,and hunting in fairer conditions than rainy nights.