PDA

View Full Version : Very New Here

Harleyman
11-15-08, 12:43 PM
Hi..I have been reading here for a few days now gathering info..I am heading out today to purchase SH4..

I understand that before I launch the game that I should install the patch 1.4 ? Then reboot and defragg..( all normal for me anyway) Where can I find this patch and what other downloads are helpful ?

Is there Starforce or any other that I need to know about for SH4?

Here are my specs ,What should I expect from my rig and do I need to adjust anything in the game? I run at 1920X1200 2 60Mh always

Case: Thermaltake VH8000BWS BK
Power: ThermalTake W0178RU 850W RT SLI Edition
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 775 X48
CPU: INTEL|C2D E8600 3.33G 775 6M
CPU Cooler: Artic Pro 7
GPU: VISIONTEK Radion 900250 HD4870X2 2G
Mem: OCZ 2X2 @ 1066
HD1: Seagate 750Gig @ 7,200 32 Mb Cache
HD2: 300G VelociRaptor @ 10,000
HD3: 150 gig Raptor @ 10,000 (fried the boot sector) thats why LOL

I look forward to this and thank you all in advance for any assistance offered....

On another note...No clue how my e mail ended up as my username.... But I am trying to change it now...LOL And I can't seem to find where to do that...Oh well....

Sailor Steve
11-15-08, 01:25 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!

SH4 uses some form of security, but there haven't been too many reports of problems.

Patch 1.4 is available here:
http://files.filefront.com/Silent+Hunter+4+Wolves+of+the+Pacific+v14+Patch/;9126970;/fileinfo.html

and here:
http://www.fileplanet.com/175733/170000/fileinfo/Silent-Hunter-4:-Wolves-of-the-Pacific-Patch

I can't judge your computer, as mine barely runs it. Somebody else will have to take care of that.

As for your name, PM Neal Stevens at subsim@subsim.com and tell him your problem. Normally they frown on multiple accounts, but either he or a mod can change it or just give you permission to start over.

Harleyman
11-15-08, 03:38 PM
Thanks for that info Sailor Steve......:)

I struck out on getting the sim..It was sold out before I got there...:damn:

But now its reserved at best Buy for tomorrow pick up.....

Sailor Steve
11-15-08, 03:49 PM
If you haven't even bought it yet, make sure the copy you get says 'SH4 Gold'. It comes already patched to 1.5, plus the U-Boat Missions add-on, so you don't have to worry about buying that. Wal-Mart has it fairly cheap now, so make sure Best Buy doesn't want more than $30.

Harleyman
11-15-08, 04:57 PM
I went to walmart to get it..They have the Gold for 29.95,but had sold out even tho the online thing said they had it....LOL:damn:

What are the U Boat Missions addons all about?

What Best Buy has is just the SH4 plain for 16 bucks..Thats what I have reserved for tomorrow..Am I missing alot without the U Boat Missions?

I was thinking to maybe just start with the base now to be sure I liked it,and can always add the U boat Missions later? Good or bad idea????

Thanks

SteamWake
11-15-08, 05:03 PM
The Uboat missions are just that missions added for the German Uboat flotalli not a part of the 'base' game.

More importantly is all the patches that are included. Furthermore when you decide to start adding Mod's most of them are written for ver. 1.5.

Good luck and have fun.

By the way Im not so sure you want to use an email address as a user name.

Harleyman
11-15-08, 05:11 PM
Thanks Steamwake....I have already addressed my addy as a user name to the big dogs here..Sent a e mail to them..

I have no clue how it happened ..it just did.....Its not like this is the first I have signed up for a site in the last 10 years
...i must have been having a moment of some kind....:88)

Thanks.......

AirborneTD
11-16-08, 07:11 AM
I am running version 1.4 with the latest TriggarMaru Overhaul mod (no other mods installed). Works great and I don't really have any intention of getting the U-boat add on. You should be fine.

Sailor Steve
11-16-08, 02:33 PM
Thanks Steamwake....I have already addressed my addy as a user name to the big dogs here..Sent a e mail to them..

I have no clue how it happened ..it just did.....Its not like this is the first I have signed up for a site in the last 10 years
...i must have been having a moment of some kind....:88)

Thanks.......
In the words of a comic whose name I can't remember but I like to quote a lot: "I are not drain-bamaged!"

Doolittle81
11-16-08, 02:44 PM
My advice is to definitely get the Gold (1.5). Basically all the best MODs are now being created using 1.5 as the base, so you will miss out on many/most new developments/mods if you only have SH4 patched to 1.4. As an a example, the RunSilentRunDeep campaign/mod. (TMO appears to be still available for both1.4 and 1.5)

You are going to want some, perhaps a lot, of the SH4 MODs.

Also, if you buy 1.4 for $16, then later you'll pay another $10 or so for the 'uboat' addon. I think it would be much simpler to get the Gold (1.5) for $30.

Harleyman
11-20-08, 07:13 AM
Ok Well I got lost for a few days ...LOl

Never went to BestBuy ,as they only had the Version with the baase game..Not the Gold edition......

Then I say the link two days ago here where the Gode was on sale for 40% off.....I looked at it and like a dummy just assumed it was a download..I NEVER buy them if I can avoid it......

Last night I went back to look and found...Its a DVD set...YEA...So I bought it and upgraded the shipping from cheapo to standard UPS....

So......... Its on its way...now I'm getting excited about it...........

Oh Yea...I live like 45 miles to the nearest BestBuy or Circuit City to buy games ..I try to avoid the trip if I can....

Thanks for all the tips and advice.......So the Gold Edition is 1.5...Nothing else needed? Thanks........

SteamWake
11-20-08, 10:34 AM
Nothing else 'needed' really.

Many things you may desire though..

Id recommend some time in the modding section of these forums.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219

Learn first about the use of JSGME :up:

Harleyman
11-20-08, 11:30 AM
Thanks SteamWake...I will follow your link....:rock:

Harleyman
11-26-08, 09:24 PM
Well I ordered the 1/2 off copy of SH4 Gold from a link posted here last week...It arrived today....

First thing tomorrow I will get it installed ..Then eat to much Turkey,and posibly not check it out till Friday morning....LOL

But its here.....

Arclight
11-27-08, 11:57 AM
I don't think you have to worry about that rig running it. :rotfl:

Heck, you got enough punch to run it 2 or 3 times at once. :lol:

*cough* showoff *cough*. ;)

Welcome aboard. :up:

Harleyman
11-27-08, 12:25 PM
Thanks for that...I installed it this morning at 5 AM and it does look sweet....I think I need to set some AA or AF for it though to get rid of a couple lazers....LOL You know,those ripplying things along poles and such.....

I'm goin' down
11-27-08, 12:42 PM
This is a great game. I am addicted. Ut oh. We are under attack. Gots to go.....

Oh. I almost forgot. Welcome and good hunting.

Harleyman
11-27-08, 03:26 PM
Thanks Going Down..........It seems great so far.....:rock: